AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Keep the old, recalled battery?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Keep the old, recalled battery?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-26, 15:35

I posted this slightly off-topic on another thread and I was never answered, so I figured I'd start this one, as lots of people will have to deal with this.

To return or not to return the old iBook/Powerbook battery?

First, I'm assuming that Apple will have to pay lots of money for each recalled battery returned via mail, for shipping and recycling. Therefore, Apple doesn't want your old battery back that badly, as Apple would be losing money.

Second, I'm assuming that 6 cases out of almost a million isn't that much, therefore using your old battery is pretty safe.

Third, I'm thinking that if you return your battery, Apple can't sell it or distribute it, so it will either sit around in a warehouse or get melted down. I don't want that to happen to an innocent battery (I couldn't let that happen after I named it 'Steve').

Fourth, a new battery is pretty expensive if I ever wanted to buy a second.

So, my question is, would Apple be terribly upset if I kept my old, recalled battery? I'm sure enjoying having an extra battery, and we have to be saving Apple some money/effort by not sending it back. As long as I don't get a lawsuit or harassing phone calls, I'd rather keep my old battery. I'll be saving Apple money, saving the environment, and saving my little Steve, who has never even gotten very warm.

Comments/Questions?

You ask me for a hamburger.
¡Damned!

2005-05-26, 15:45

Sure, keep it. Why not? I will always remember you in my heart as 'Case #7'.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-05-26, 16:17

Once you've named it all bets are off. You have to keep it. It's the same rule that applies to pets for me, lol.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-05-26, 18:36

atomic, let us know what happens. Do you think the Apple battery police are worse than the RIAA police or the movie downloading police?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-05-26, 19:10

At most they will charge you for the new battery if you keep the old. Apple probably wants the battery back because it is a liability. If it happends to leak or short it could damage or kill your computer. Than you will turn to Apple or someone for a fix mumbling to yourself all the time.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-05-26, 20:38

WTF!?!?!

Dude, just send it back.
JayReding

2005-05-27, 10:57

Chances are you'd get charged for the full price of the replacement battery/shipping in that case - which is right around $200. By accepting the new battery, you made an agreement to return the old one.

You're getting a brand-new battery out of the deal. I wouldn't push your luck.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-27, 14:30

Would they really try to get almost a million old batteries back?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-27, 14:41

Or, to rephrase, would they do anything they could to recoup the cost of some of those million batteries? I reckon they would.
pv2b

2005-05-27, 14:42

atomicbartbeans,

They'd have to keep track of their batteries somehow, requiring you to return that battery in order to qualify for a new one.

Otherwise you could just scam them pretty effectively like this.

1. Request battery exchange from Apple.
2. Tell the rep your sob story about Steve. If he'd let you keep it, you'd still have Steve and your brand new battery.
3. As soon as you get your new battery, you call Apple again and repeat from Step 1.

Voilà, instant infinite number of free new batteries!

Now, Apple could conceivably prevent this by just logging the serial numbers of all returned batteries, and checking against that database. But that's be way more complicated than just requiring the customer to return the battery. Especially if you're going to let retail outlets handle the recall. (They'd have to enter your serial number in a database to check if you haven't already used your voucher? Waaay too complicated.) Not to mention, the point of a recall is, well, to recall and get all those batteries out of circulation. Not to allow some stingy customers to get a new free battery. So there'd be no reason to implement a database like that.

In summary, atomicbartbeans, if you really want to keep li'l Steve against our and Apple's recommendations, be prepared to pay full price for a new battery.

Now, if you want to scam the maximum amount of value out of Apple with no regard for the slight risk the battery could cause, wait until Steve is old and tired, and no longer holds a charge very well, and then apply for the recall program. (Make sure it's still around by then.)

Hope this helps.
darshu

2005-05-27, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Would they really try to get almost a million old batteries back?
They're a potential legal liability for Apple and/or LG Chem, and moreover we know LG is taking the hit for this expense --- but they may want Apple to provide proof. It's possible they may charge Apple for additional batteries if they aren't given proof that you returned the old defective one. And I really don't understand why you'd want to cause a hassle in the first place.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-05-27, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv2b
atomicbartbeans,

They'd have to keep track of their batteries somehow, requiring you to return that battery in order to qualify for a new one.

Otherwise you could just scam them pretty effectively like this.

1. Request battery exchange from Apple.
2. Tell the rep your sob story about Steve. If he'd let you keep it, you'd still have Steve and your brand new battery.
3. As soon as you get your new battery, you call Apple again and repeat from Step 1.

Voilà, instant infinite number of free new batteries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv2b
Now, Apple could conceivably prevent this by just logging the serial numbers of all returned batteries, and checking against that database. But that's be way more complicated than just requiring the customer to return the battery.
It's called GSX, a service program that tracks EVERYTHING service related about your Apple based off it's S/N. The battery replacement would be noted as well as the fact that you never returned the current battery.

Why do I know of this? I work for an Apple reseller, in their service centre. Trust me, it's like big brother... only for your computer. (fuck, I can even see the history of you calling in for tech support. It's funny hearing things like "I know it's not the drive, I'm a mac guy" then reading about how they failed at burning CDs in iTunes and needed their hand held by a phone support agent.)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
scrouds

2005-05-28, 01:05

[Common sense]
The batteries are being recalled for a reason
[/common sense]

Just send it back to be recycled. Fresh batteries are sweet, and old crappy and fire prone are not good ones to hold onto anyways
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-28, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
WTF!?!?!

Dude, just send it back.
:nod:
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-28, 08:55

Well has anyone here ever kept their old one in a recall? What was your experience?

But I guess you people are right...

Goodbye, Steve
jsk173

2005-05-28, 09:00

I doubt Apple really cares if you send back Steve, but since they are tracking the battery S/Ns, you'd probably be screwed if you had a problem down the road and tried to make a claim (for battery or even PB).
pv2b

2005-05-28, 09:23

atomicbartbeans,

Think of your new battery as Steve //! We all know that Apple's current success has been largely on the focus on design that Steve Jobs' second term as CEO has brought in.

What more fitting name for a battery? Both commemorating your previous battery as well as honoring the current Apple leadership?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-28, 09:26

Good idea.

I shall call him... Steve II.

Thanks pv2b!
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-31, 19:03

apple's always trying to screw you... keep it and keep all the keyboards and mice that really aren't broken