Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Benton

2006-06-25, 14:50

I favor Other World Computing www.macsales.com found through www.dealmac.com
josephhubbard

2006-06-27, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
I got 1GB of Corsair Value Select there for my MBP for $84. Great RAM. I buy it all the time, and I've never had a problem.
could i buy two sticks of the corsair 1GB and put them in a MacBook?
babelfishi

2006-06-29, 14:50

What's the speed difference between 512 MB and 1 GB RAM anyways?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-06-29, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelfishi
What's the speed difference between 512 MB and 1 GB RAM anyways?
Depends on what you're doing. If you run a lot of non-universal apps on an Intel machine, Rosetta is a RAM hog. Also, video and graphics editing tend to use quite a bit of RAM. If you're just using Mail and Safari, you're not likely to notice a difference.
kgarchar

2006-07-06, 09:26

Outpost.com has the best deals that I've found anywhere

http://shop2.outpost.com/catreq/974

$70 for a 1GB Stick and $150 for 2GB dual channel kit (both DDR2-5300 667MHz SO-DIMMS)

Macbook 2.0 Ghz - White. 80 GB iPod - White.

Last.FM
irnchriz

2006-07-31, 11:28

Here in the UK I always aorder my RAM from Crucial (www.crucial.com/uk) There prices are pretty reasonable and they deliver next day as standard. I have only had to return RAM twice and this was due to a difference/revision of my customers motherboard that required a different speed of RAM from what I had ordered. Crucial accepted the return with no problems and shipped out the correct RAM for me.

Well recommended
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-19, 15:57

I'm looking to buy a 2 GB stick for my new MacBook Pro. I favor NewEgg for all things electronic these days, so...

How does this look?

Can you forsee any problems with that RAM in my MacBook Pro? It has very solid reviews, a good brand name, and the price is right.

Thanks!

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2007-04-20 at 11:41.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2007-04-19, 16:19

EU members (especially Germans and Austrians) check Geizhals. Unfortunately the site is not in English.
RedBarchetta

2007-07-02, 12:44

http://www.canadaram.com

I'm not too intelligent when it comes to buying this kind of stuff but I would like to gather everyone's opinions. Unfortunately, My Core Duo iMac 20 inch screen only came with 512mb of RAM and I'm going off to university in the fall. I'm interested in buying another gig of memory for the machine since there is an empty slot available so I'm just wondering if this would be a good place to by the RAM (yes, i do live in Canada and therefore wish to buy the memory fro ma Canadian dealer).

thanks.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-08-29, 17:57

FWIW. I've bought RAM from these guys before and they're very good. They're based in Victoria BC. The rep was knowledgeable and offered two solutions for me. 1) The exact model of RAM used by Apple. 2) cheaper alternatives TESTED for compatibility with that hardware. I went for the exact match as it was still cheaper than elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
JohnnyTheA

2007-12-29, 02:30

Okay.... Is this for real? -> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR4GBK/

I JUST bought a 2.4 GHz 20 in iMac and wanna max out the RAM. Can I really get 4 fricking Gigs for $100? Its hard to believe RAM is so cheap...

JTA
Benton

2007-12-29, 12:54

OWC listing maybe an error. Go ahead and order then see if order is filled. Let us know what happens.
JohnnyTheA

2008-01-03, 04:56

Okay, its for real. I paid $97 for 4 GIGS of RAM for my 2.4 GHz iMac. I paid for 2-day shipping with UPS but it came the next business day after OWC shipped. Nice. Its nice being able to run MANY applications at once with no beach ball. I had handbrake grinding along, WOW, Firefox, and Safari all running at the same time..

JTA
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-03, 05:10

I will buy RAM from any of the following:
NewEgg
ZipZoomFly
Mwave
Fry's / Outpost ... I stopped shopping at Outpost.com for a long time after they started charging sales tax and stopped doing free overnight, but they now have a store pick-up option for the SF Bay Area and their web prices are sometimes significantly lower.
blitz71093

2008-02-06, 22:02

I have a macbook 2 GHz. What combination of ram chips should i purchase for top performance? I was thinking about getting 2 X 2GB. But can my computer even handle that? If you can't tell I don't know a whole lot about computers.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-02-06, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz71093 View Post
I have a macbook 2 GHz. What combination of ram chips should i purchase for top performance? I was thinking about getting 2 X 2GB. But can my computer even handle that? If you can't tell I don't know a whole lot about computers.
See Below.
Click Link.
Buy RAM.
Be Happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
Okay.... Is this for real? -> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR4GBK/

I JUST bought a 2.4 GHz 20 in iMac and wanna max out the RAM. Can I really get 4 fricking Gigs for $100? Its hard to believe RAM is so cheap...

JTA
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-03-27, 09:14

I was gonna try and get some RAM for my Dell Dimension 8200. It was my old college computer and I've been using it as a work computer the last several years. It comes to a crawl sometimes because it only has the stock 512 that came in it.

I went online and was looking up some and the prices are crazy. For what I paid last night for my MB Alum for 4gb, it cost me about the same for 2x256 sticks, which is crazy.

Anyone know where I can get a couple matching sticks cheap? 2x256 would be ok I suppose, but I'd really like to get 2x512.

I've been looking around and checked ebay and everything. Looking for some suggestions.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-27, 09:57

I looked it up and apparently the Dimension 8200 uses RDRAM, an early, long-discontinued competitor to DDR used in early Pentium 4s. Because it's no longer being made, or maybe it's being made but only in small quantities, it's expensive.

Like I said, not worth it. For $200 you could just about get a newer used desktop with a Pentium D (late dual-core Pentium 4), Athlon 64, AMD Sempron, or maybe even an early Core Duo or Athlon X2.

EDIT: In fact, Walmart sells a really cheap desktop for $130. NewEgg sells the same for $140 + shipping so if you can pick it up instead of buying it online you'll save a bit.

It won't be a screamer... however, it takes DDR2, meaning you can upgrade it to 2-4 GB of RAM for really cheap. It ships with Linux (hence all the negative reviews on Walmart's site from idiots who bought it without looking at the box), but it's easy to install Windows.

If you want to move up a bit, more mainstream, powerful desktops should be available on Craigslist in the under-$200 range (as long as you're willing to negotiate), or you could probably build a really basic machine for about $300.

Last edited by Luca : 2009-03-27 at 10:10.
CFP

2010-05-18, 11:33

A question about using matched RAM modules...

I'm looking to upgrade the memory on my rev-A MacBook 1.83 Core Duo. (I know that Apple says the max ram for this machine is 2gb, but I've read lots of reports to the contrary, saying it's an 'artificial' maximum and that the machine can address more. Hope this is correct!)

So my question is: I currently have two 512mb modules. I know you get better performance from having matched pairs, but which is better: two matched pairs of new 1gb modules, or one old 512mb module with a new 2gb module?

Would having matched pairs outweigh the benefits of an extra 512mb in unmatched pairs?

Any advice much appreciated!

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-05-18, 11:38

I think I'd rather have the extra 512 MB, especially since you could pretty easily upgrade to 4 GB at some point in the future without having to toss both your RAM modules again.
CFP

2010-05-18, 13:20

Ahh... I've just read that the very first MacBook can only use 2GB of memory in total, after all.

Is there a performance difference between using 1 x 2GB module and 2 x 1GB modules?

Thanks again.

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-05-18, 14:53

http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

I was going to say it doesn't make much difference, but I did some research and it turns out the old Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) MacBooks are not only incapable of recognizing more than 2 GB of RAM, but they actually won't boot with more than 2 GB installed.

So if you do buy a 2 GB module, you'll have to ditch both your 512 MB modules anyway. In that case you may as well go with a matched pair of 1 GB modules since you get the added benefit of dual channel RAM.

The benchmark tests I've seen show almost no measurable difference between single- and dual-channel RAM (a few % at most), but the point is it can't hurt. The cost is about the same ($50-$60 either way) so there's no reason to get a single 2 GB module.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148086
CFP

2010-05-18, 17:31

Just ordered the two 1 GB modules! Along with finally upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard, I should really see a big difference.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-01-04, 13:51

So I'm about to place a newegg order, and I also want to toss in a RAM upgrade for my MacBook. It's the model 6,1 with the 2.2GHz Core2Duo. System Profiler says it's DDR3 RAM at 1067 MHz, but Newegg has several different kinds of that with different pin amounts (some have 204, some have 200). So what precisely should I be looking for for this model? I'd be looking to jump up to 4GB of RAM.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
So I'm about to place a newegg order, and I also want to toss in a RAM upgrade for my MacBook. It's the model 6,1 with the 2.2GHz Core2Duo. System Profiler says it's DDR3 RAM at 1067 MHz, but Newegg has several different kinds of that with different pin amounts (some have 204, some have 200). So what precisely should I be looking for for this model? I'd be looking to jump up to 4GB of RAM.
The memory modules should be:
  • Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format
  • 30 mm (1.18 inches)
  • 204-pin
  • 1 GB or 2 GB
  • PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMM 1066 MHz Type RAM
According to page 46 of this.

The shop might not label the modules as comprehensively as this, but if they don't, it's probably because it doesn't matter. Just make sure anything they do mention matches the above!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-01-04, 15:59

Looks like that model can actually get up to 8GB of RAM in it.

I'd get my RAM from NewEgg too.
stevenjohnson

2018-07-12, 03:48

Thanks)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-07-12, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohnson View Post
Thanks)
NP. That's what we're here for neural check 45 reboot.)