AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Stuff you'd like to learn how to do

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stuff you'd like to learn how to do
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 01:07

There are *SO* many things I'd love to learn to do.

For example:

I'd love to learn how to build a house from the foundation up - the wooden framework, the plumbing, the electrical, dry wall, installing sinks, windows, hot water heaters, roofing, etc. - the whole nine yards.

I just think it would be such a wonderful feeling to be able to do all that.

I took an electrical wiring and maintenance class once, but never could get hold of the assigned book. 'Very' frustrating experience.

I used to watch all the home improvement shows, and still watch the home design programs on the Home and Garden channel. I love seeing some crummy little house fixed up into a real charmer.

I've designed a mountain cabin that I'd like to build. My brother knows how to do all the building stuff, so if I could just find the perfect piece of land, we could build it ourselves. I think that would be a wonderful experience.

There are many *many* things I'd like to learn to do, but this 'building' thing is one of them.

Is there something *you'd* like to learn to do - something you don't really know how to do already? Just wondering.

Thanks for any replies.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-11-17, 01:23

I'd like to have kids, and learn how to raise them.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 01:31

I'd like to learn how to speak Japanese.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 01:34

I'd like to learn to take apart and put back together a car engine.

(So that it 'works', of course. )
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-17, 01:35

• Rock climb.
  • Draw (better) and paint.
  • Cook (a wider variety).
  • Fly.
  • Scuba dive.
  • Play the piano (better). I regret quitting lessons when I was 11.
  • Play the guitar.
  • Relax.
  • Make realistic human figures in 3D.
  • Dance.
  • Become fluent in another language.

It's a start...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 01:40

Learn a couple of languages. I used to be pretty good in German and Spanish, but I've lost most of them.

Play the guitar, and the bagpipes. I even *HAVE* a guitar and a bagpipe chanter. *sigh* Oh yeah, and *RE*learn how to play keyboards.

Most of all I'd love to learn how to balance my time better so I can get done everything I *need* to, and still have time for the things I *want* to do.

Man, now I'm bummed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-17, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kickaha
Man, now I'm bummed.
Yeah, writing that post was a total downer for me too. Jeez... So many things to do, so little precious time.
bb823

Send a message via AIM to bb823  
2005-11-17, 01:50

Now that home building was mentioned, I was reminded of that show on PBS, you know, the New Yankee Workshop? I'd *love* to learn how to build things out of wood like he does. Think of the money you'd save on furniture, plus it just looks like a great way to spend a few Saturday afternoons.

Also, like Brad, I'd love to learn how to cook. Yeah, I can do pretty well already. But I'd love to learn how to cook without following a recipe. I'd love to learn the little tricks that you only pick up with experience. I love to cook and just wish I could do it better.

...problem is I don't want to have to learn with experience, I want to know now!

Last edited by bb823 : 2005-11-17 at 02:05.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 01:51

So what the hell are we doing wasting it on here??

Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Dance.
Yeah, dancing is *wonderful*.

You just sort of have to let your body 'live' the music.

Ahhh... god, I love dancing.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 02:12

Quote:
Learn a couple of languages. I used to be pretty good in German and Spanish, but I've lost most of them.

Play the guitar, and the bagpipes. I even *HAVE* a guitar and a bagpipe chanter. *sigh* Oh yeah, and *RE*learn how to play keyboards.

Most of all I'd love to learn how to balance my time better so I can get done everything I *need* to, and still have time for the things I *want* to do.

Man, now I'm bummed.
Wow, I'd love to watch you play keyboards.

I bet those nimble typist fingers could just 'fly' over a keyboard.

They'd be great with a guitar too, of course. Yeah, you'll definitely have to take up guitar. Do you have an acoustic or an electric?

Aw, you'll get around to balancing your time. Seriously. You're over the biggest hurdle now. All the rest will be childsplay after the whole dissertation scenario.

And the languages? - they're still 'up there' in your memory pathways. Once you get involved in them again, it'll all come flowing back.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb823
Now that home building was mentioned, I was reminded of that show on PBS, you know, the New Yankee Workshop? I'd *love* to learn how to build things out of wood like he does. Think of the money you'd save on furniture, plus it just looks like a great way to spend a few Saturday afternoons.
Yeah, I used to love that show. Woodworking would be just a fantastic hobby. I took a night shop class once through parks and rec (held at a neighborhood school). I designed a windowseat, and prepared (hand-planing, sanding, etc.) the lumber from willow stock. I had all the parts almost ready for assembly, when during the day, the kids got hold of my lumber and sawed everything up. God, I wanted to kill the little blighters!

You know, I've always wanted to try wood*carving* - where you have all these great, differently-shaped, really sharp blades. I would love to carve some small artistic forms, maybe animals or something. I've always just *loved* wood. I think it's beautiful. Are you familiar with myrtle wood from the Pacific Northwest? God, that's lovely wood - with so much character in it.

Quote:
Also, like Brad, I'd love to learn how to cook. Yeah, I can do pretty well already. But I'd love to learn how to cook without following a recipe. I'd love to learn the little tricks that you only pick up with experience. I love to cook and just wish I could do it better.

...problem is I don't want to have to learn with experience, I want to know now!
I know just what you mean, because I have just 'started' to do what you're talking about. I've been inventing my own recipes lately and throwing in all kinds of stuff. Sometimes it comes out unbelievably well. Lotsa fun. I don't know why I just started feeling so free about doing this, but I've suddenly become very creative in the kitchen.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 02:30

You know, thinking back, of all the classes I ever took in public schools, woodshop was my favorite. Hell, it was the only class I learned something in.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 02:41

Quote:
You know, thinking back, of all the classes I ever took in public schools, woodshop was my favorite. Hell, it was the only class I learned something in.
Yeah, it's such a *useful* class, that actually teaches a productive physical skill - something that can be put to use in the 'real world'.

Naturally, our school has gotten rid of it. Home Ec. is gone now too.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 02:49

Kick, did you ever see the program with that redheaded guy who built stuff using only tools that *weren't* power tools... tools that could have been used in the 1800's, for example?

I mean, he would build these cool chairs by soaking and then bending the wood into shape, and then use wooden dowels to put all the parts together.

I loved his hand drill. I even got one of those to use for home projects. It's a lot simpler than dragging out my heavy electric drill that weighs a ton.

I liked that show a lot. I bet you never saw it. I have no idea what the name was. I guess I'm just fascinated with all the ways they *used* to do stuff, before power tools.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-11-17, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept

I rebuilt a lawnmower engine with my dad when I was like 8 or so. We had parts organized all over the garage floor and rebuilt the thing. We put it on a minibike frame and it still works I think. One day when the engine was clamped to a bench with a single C-clamp, I fired it up when no one was around. The engine and board shook to high heaven and I panicked and tried to shut it down. Logically, the engine wouldn't work without a spark (I understood electricity very well as a kid) so I pulled the spark plug wire. Even though the wire looked insulated, I got a hell os a zap every time the magneto spun around. Wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

I also have designs for a house in my mind. Some day I will build it in a 3D environment, but I don't think I would afford it in real life. It is not necessarily big, but there are probably some legal obstacles and specific land i choose is expensive and more importantly, occupied. Oh well.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
eventhorizon

2005-11-17, 03:30

I'd like to learn how to conduct a symphony orchestra with my penis.

just watched family guy...sorry
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon
I'd like to learn how to conduct a symphony orchestra with my penis.

just watched family guy...sorry
How am I supposed to follow that?

Anyway, I want to re-learn Spanish. I used to be pretty good with it, but I've lost it over the last couple of years. I also want to learn how to play the guitar. I tried once before, but I really didn't try hard enough. The last thing I want to learn is how to use photoshop (or similar programs). I'm terrible with graphics (and programming, but that's a lost cause)

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 09:40

Woodworking. I'd like to be able to make my own furniture and have it not look like ass. Anyone can nail a few boards together together and say, "Look! I made a bench! Awesome!"
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-11-17, 09:57

Heh, lucky for me that I can draw, paint, do carpentry, weld, design (in 3D) and build a house! You guys went in for the wrong major.

I want to learn how to sight-read music, play the piano, ballroom dance and pick up sleazy women.
Grip

2005-11-17, 10:06

I'd like to learn how someone did this .

I am sure there are many people here who can enlighten me.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-11-17, 11:54

Not lose my temper when I have to deal with stupid people at work.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-11-17, 14:12

And being in Canada, that must happen a lot.

(nyah)
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 14:25

Quote:
Kick, did you ever see the program with that redheaded guy who built stuff using only tools that *weren't* power tools... tools that could have been used in the 1800's, for example?

I mean, he would build these cool chairs by soaking and then bending the wood into shape, and then use wooden dowels to put all the parts together.

I loved his hand drill. I even got one of those to use for home projects. It's a lot simpler than dragging out my heavy electric drill that weighs a ton.

I liked that show a lot. I bet you never saw it. I have no idea what the name was. I guess I'm just fascinated with all the ways they *used* to do stuff, before power tools.
I believe you're thinking of Roy Underhill's show, The Woodwright's Shop.

I love making furniture.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-17, 14:32

Quote:

Entirely through the exhaust pipe?

I really hope someone other than me gets the joke here...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 14:43

I would like to get *really* good at watercolor painting - wilderness scenes, weathered shacks in sunny meadows, stormy ocean coastlines - stuff like that.

I've taken a few watercolor painting classes and have improved considerably. But I think it's one of those skills that takes years, and lots and lots of painting experience, for the learner to loosen up enough to let creativity flow freely.

I should also study the principles of interior design, so that I can finally do something with my house. I think I have an intuitive sense of those principles, but it would be nice to see them written down on paper - just to be sure.

I also would like to feel confident/skilled enough to sing and play my guitar in public. I would like to sing songs that I have written. I have no problem writing the lyrics, but coming up with great melodies is pretty tricky.

Now that I am trying to eat organic/natural foods, and my allergies are going away, my voice is sweet and clear again. So that's pretty exciting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
I believe you're thinking of Roy Underhill's show, The Woodwright's Shop.

I love making furniture.
That's the guy, sunrain.

Thanks!
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-17, 14:46

Quote:
Is there something *you'd* like to learn to do - something you don't really know how to do already? Just wondering.
Thanks for asking! There's a long list, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. Here goes:
  • Play piano.
  • EDIT: Arrange music, so people can relive their favorites from the past in new and exciting ways; this is particularly effective and broad when the subject matter is game music.
  • Compose music; mostly orchestral, but other styles too. This is related to being able to play piano.
  • Engineer music using software like Reason.
  • Fix things that break, from microelectronics to automobiles, and anywhere in between.
  • Teach, and teach well.
  • Cheer people up.
  • Scuba dive.
  • Play melodic guitar. Sorry bassists.
  • Conduct a band or orchestra.
  • Design and write great software.
  • Design and build great hardware.
  • Persuade others to improve their designs.
  • Be happy. I knew once, but forgot.
  • Make people laugh even when things aren't going well.
  • Speak fluent German.
I'm sure I could keep going... but that's it for now. Maybe I'll edit in some more later, or post more, not sure which.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2005-11-17 at 14:49. Reason: My first step to independent composition will be arranging. Thus noted.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-17, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
Entirely through the exhaust pipe?

I really hope someone other than me gets the joke here...
Ah, the gynecologist.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 15:14

For Kick and Brad -

Hey, guys, *don't* get bummed because there are a *lot* of things you'd like to do but find you haven't gotten around to them lately. I think it's great that you both have a wide variety of interests.

You've both been busy and involved with significant/challenging/life-changing goals. Sure, you *could* have crammed more stuff into your lives, but *that* kind of coercion takes all the fun out of it, don't you think?

If you have free time, and like to spend it online, don't beat yourselves up about it. You enjoy doing that, it's relaxing, you make contact with others who have similar interests. It helps you unwind and meets emotional needs, which are just as important as anything else - imho.

I think about this kind of thing a lot, because I have a ton of goals too, yet find myself 'not' pursuing them the way I think I should. I *have* been pursuing a *few*, however, just as both of you are, and am patting myself on the back for that.

I *could* beat myself up about all the other goals that lie neglected, but I find that we need to be kind to ourselves, and forgive ourselves for being the flawed human creatures that we are.

Having said all that, I need to give myself a quick kick in the ass and get a few more things underway. I've made a list. (heh. Always a good place to start. )