AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Wow...try this protein drink...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wow...try this protein drink...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-11, 13:40

Okay, I'm not going to go into a whole huge fitness routine and diet plan rant. But what I am going to do is tell you about a protein powder that is so freaking delicious and effective that even Luca would love it.

The stuff is called Muscle Milk from Cytosport.

First of all, the most appealing thing to most people would be that it deviates from the standard gross chalky flavors of Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla. Those are the 3 flavors that protein powders always seem to come in, and they taste like crap. I hardly used protein powder before Muscle Milk.

It comes in 20 flavors: Root Beer, Egg Nog, Blueberry and Creme, Banana, Chocolate Carmel Pecan, Chocolate Milk, Chocolate Peanut, Chocolate Mint Chip, Cookies and Cream, Creme Brulee, Pineapple Banana, Strawberry Banana, Mocha Joe, Orange Cream, Pina Colada, Rocky Road, Peach Mango, and yeah, Vanilla, and Strawberry.

I know that you'd probably still assume this stuff to taste like crap, but it's actually quite amazing. And I've tried Egg Nog too...it's fucking great. I just bought Blueberrys and Creme, and I bet it'll be good. I've had Vanilla, Chocolate Milk, and Banana in the past. They're all good. I plan on trying a new one each time I run out. This stuff really does taste like a milk shake. Even if you mix the powder in water, it's still relatively thick and tasty. If you mix it with milk and blend it with ice, it's pretty hard to distinguish it from a real milk shake.

What about the nutritional value? At the gym I go to, there's a trainer there who holds a Ph.D. in Nutrition from Penn State and he uses and highly recommends Muscle Milk. At first appearance, the nutritional facts might make you want to screw the lid back on and never touch the stuff again.

One serving has 18 grams of fat in it. That'd be a bad thing if it was all saturated fat, but just 8 grams are. Most of the fat though, are long-chain polyunsaturated fats that aren't likely to be stored as fat. Muscle Milk has what is calls Lean Lipids which actually help you to burn fat instead of store it. It all may sound like a bunch of marketing bullshit to cover up for the fact that there's a lot of fat in it, but based on my usage, I am definitely leaner after a month.

I wouldn't just drink this stuff if you are a couch potato, it's sensible to take if you lift consistently and strenuously. Each two scoop serving contain 348 calories (162 from fat) and 32 grams of protein, with just 12 grams of carbs (6 from sugar). It's perfect to drink postworkout, but it's also something that you could take before bedtime because it has casein protein as well, so it slow-releases and keeps you anabolic during sleep.

Anyway, try this stuff out if you're sick of your powder or have never found a good one. This stuff has everything; amazing taste, high protein, a good ratio of carbs and protein, "lean lipids," and amino acids.

Also, a little secret I've been keeping to myself is http://www.DPSNutrition.net

It has the lowest prices on supplements that I've found and standard shipping gets to me as second day delivery. Enjoy!

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-12-11 at 13:45.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-11, 13:47

Hm, My protein drink of choice is Designer's Whey. 2g net carbs, 2g sugar, 1g fat, .7g saturated fat, 18.5g whey protein. Tastes great(it really does) and dissolves in a cup with stirring(though I usually use my nalgene to shake it up anyway)

Of course, couch potatoes don't apply, supps only matter if you're active.
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-12-11, 13:51

I share your dislike of the generally crap shakes available. Thanks for the post.

Subtext rumble
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-11, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Hm, My protein drink of choice is Designer's Whey. 2g net carbs, 2g sugar, 1g fat, .7g saturated fat, 18.5g whey protein. Tastes great(it really does) and dissolves in a cup with stirring(though I usually use my nalgene to shake it up anyway)

Of course, couch potatoes don't apply, supps only matter if you're active.
Right, I've used Designer Whey before. The trouble with it? It's whey protein only and there isn't enough protein in it per serving. Also, there should be some carbs in it for help with protein synthesis. Ideally, you should have about 30-40 grams of protein, post-workout. Also, carbs help basically...uh, how do i say this? They help shuttle protein to the muscles, basically. So if your powder doesn't have carbs, your protein synthesis will be weakened.

Muscle Milk has 4 advantages over other powders. 1) It boosts production of your body's own creatine levels. 2) It has amino acids, glutamine peptides, and complex proteins. 3) It contains lean lipids and good fats which are supposed ot help you get leaner (in my case, it's working). 4) It tastes better than any other protein powder, period.

Realize that cutting carbs in a protein shake after a workout is like cutting your potential muscle gains in half. Also, just using whey will only do so much, because whey is instantly absorbed leaving your muscles starving for protein 1-2 hours after you've taken that whey shake. You want a combination of the two so that you can hit your muscles immediately and then still leave them with something for later. The casein protein is delayed-release or slow release, so you'll have something for later.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-11, 15:01

Does someone need to review the Posting Guidelines?
Quote:
Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." or "Help!" and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Do not give threads misleading titles in an attempt to gain more views. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums.
I'm in a good mood, so this time, I'll change the title for you, instead of just locking it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-11, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Does someone need to review the Posting Guidelines?

I'm in a good mood, so this time, I'll change the title for you, instead of just locking it.
Thanks, it's Christmas time, after all.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-11, 15:54

I use soy protein, whey protein is way too high in cholesterol, and 8 grams of saturated fat in your stuff? You've gotta be kidding me.

Even though soy protein has teh horrible taste, it's overall the most healthful stuff out there. Per scoop, mine has 1.5 grams of fat, no saturated fat, no trans fat, no cholesterol, 200mg of sodium, 390mg of potassium, 20 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber, 17 grams of sugar, and 20 grams of protein. 185 calories (including fat calories).

Yes, it's lacking a bit of punch in the protein department, but I blend mine up with two tbsp peanut butter, 10 oz of skim milk, a banana, and a handful of ice cubes. The protein in the milk (about 10g) and PB (about 8g) brings it to around 38 grams. More than enough for a single serving.

If I don't have time for the shake, I'll mix a scoop of protein with 8 oz of skim milk and drink it as fast as I can. The bad taste is worth it for the health benefits that I get by not ingesting my total daily value of cholesterol in one sitting.

Come waste your time with me
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-11, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I use soy protein, whey protein is way too high in cholesterol, and 8 grams of saturated fat in your stuff? You've gotta be kidding me.

Even though soy protein has teh horrible taste, it's overall the most healthful stuff out there. Per scoop, mine has 1.5 grams of fat, no saturated fat, no trans fat, no cholesterol, 200mg of sodium, 390mg of potassium, 20 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber, 17 grams of sugar, and 20 grams of protein. 185 calories (including fat calories).

Yes, it's lacking a bit of punch in the protein department, but I blend mine up with two tbsp peanut butter, 10 oz of skim milk, a banana, and a handful of ice cubes. The protein in the milk (about 10g) and PB (about 8g) brings it to around 38 grams. More than enough for a single serving.

If I don't have time for the shake, I'll mix a scoop of protein with 8 oz of skim milk and drink it as fast as I can. The bad taste is worth it for the health benefits that I get by not ingesting my total daily value of cholesterol in one sitting.
Lifters know, fats aren't necessarily bad. In fact, for any real growth, they're required. You also need fats to burn fat. BTW, soy is considered the worst, lowest quality protein, for men especially. It's best to have the tri-sourced proteins, meaning, whey, soy, and casein.

Also, the sugar content you cited is far worse than the amount of fat in Muscle Milk. If you can get over the idea of "fat is evil" then you might want to try Muscle Milk and see for yourself. I bet you'd be surprised. I'm definitely sticking with it.

It's working wildly.

About Soy
In addition to glycerin, maltitol, and erythritol, another word keeps popping up on low-carb labels: "soy." Why are food manufacturers turning everything into tofu? "Soy flour naturally has a lower carbohydrate content than wheat flour. It's also much higher in protein," says Lona Sandon, R.D., a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, and an assistant professor of clinical nutrition at the University of Texas Southwestern.

You'd think this would be a good thing. But this health food can be hell on men. Blame estrogens. Specifically, phytoestrogens--compounds found in varying levels in all soy foods. "Soy phytoestrogens mimic normal estrogen," says Lon White, M.D., an epidemiologist at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. "They are pharmacologically active molecules." In other words, drugs.

And this is your brain on them: In a study of 8,000 Japanese-American men published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Dr. White found that those who had eaten tofu twice a week for the past decade or so performed worse on tests of mental ability than those eating less. The brains of those who ate a lot of tofu in midlife functioned as if they were 4 years older than their actual ages. High intake may also cause kidney stones.

Still, soy does have its health benefits. Researchers have made preliminary connections between phytoestrogens and a reduction in the risk of prostate cancer. And, according to the FDA, 25 grams (g) of soy protein per day may help lower your blood's cholesterol levels. The problem is, anyone living the low-carb life is probably putting away much more soy than that.

---------------------

Here's the problem: Soy, in all its forms, contains phytoestrogens--that is, plant estrogens. And while having some of the female hormone in our bodies is okay, and even normal, having high amounts of the plant version isn't. In fact, Australian researchers found that men who consumed a soy-rich diet had significantly lower testosterone levels than beef eaters. And as for red meat's artery-clogging reputation, a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition showed that eating lean beef can help to lower LDL cholesterol levels while increasing HDL levels.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-12-11, 23:57

Interesting thread, especially the stuff about soy.

My brain glazes over whenever I read about health supplements because there are so many different explanations out there about how our bodies work that I get confused and eventually have to have a big fat chocolate milkshake to calm myself down and push the confusion out of my head. If only there were a motivational supplement out there that would help me get over my fear of gymnasiums.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
johnny5w

2005-12-12, 00:00

I just downed a bowl of Mac & Cheese whilst reading this thread from my couch.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-12, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5w
I just downed a bowl of Mac & Cheese whilst reading this thread from my couch.
I had some of a Tri-O-Plex protein bar (Cinnamon Raisin).

www.trioplex.com
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Right, I've used Designer Whey before. The trouble with it? It's whey protein only and there isn't enough protein in it per serving.

If you want carbs, you mix in some carbs. And how does a nominal "serving size" affect how much you actually take?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-12, 18:09

Precisely, the 18.5g protein is in one scoop, compared to the muscle milk which is 36g protein in 2 scoops. I wouldn't say designer's whey is the best of the best by any means, but for the price, taste, ease of use and quality, it is good. I use it as a supplement for a reason, in that, It supplements my average diet which fills in the grievances messiah expressed towards designer's shortcomings. Were I to be more active into lifting I'd probably look for a more complete protein solution, but for all I'm doing now, it's been fine and dandy.

I can't stand soy protein. Tastes terrible, looks terrible(white powder turning green wtf?), smells terrible, has an awful consistency. Granted I've only had 2 brands, they were both massively upsetting, I actually threw my grandma out the window after mixing a cup. Maybe they are better when blended with multiple ingredients to augment the consistency, taste and appeal, but that requires a blender which loses points in my book.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-13, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari

If you want carbs, you mix in some carbs. And how does a nominal "serving size" affect how much you actually take?
720 grams of protein in a 2 lb tub of designer whey. ($14)
Sugars - 80 grams
All whey

480 grams of tri-sourced protein in a 2.5 lb tub of Muscle Milk. ($20)
Sugars - 0 grams
Whey, Casein (2 types)

It's about quality over quantity.

It's like the Megahertz Myth, man. :smokey:

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-12-13 at 02:00.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-12-13, 09:28

Quote:
Okay,...........Enjoy!
Is it just me or did his entire post sound like spam? Tosh, are you working for these people or what?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-12-13, 10:04

I'm having flashbacks to the last ATHF episode.

Where you at dog!?!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-12-13, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
Is it just me or did his entire post sound like spam? Tosh, are you working for these people or what?
No, I'm not working for Cytosport.

It's just something delicious and I've found that it is also really effective for me. If you're one of those people who avoid or just hate protein drinks, then you would understand my enthusiasm for something that doesn't taste like chalk.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-01-27, 14:03

My gym now carries this stuff...and it flew off the shelves within the first week...
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-27, 21:58

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/01/27

Quote:
I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.
IBL
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-01-27, 23:48

So Messiahtosh is working for the Nasty Protein Drink Board and the Red Blazer Institute of America?

What'll they find out we immediately hate everything he mentions.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-28, 02:12

At least the red blazer was funny. I'm not laughing at this.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-01-28, 02:25

I am....
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-28, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I agree, there's something very, very fishy about the first post in this thread. Just a little too glowing, and with some "marketingspeak" littered into it. Suspicious indeed.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-28, 10:58

Not just the first post. Bullshit smells and this thread stinks.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-01-28, 11:03

Well....it's a thread that I started up the way most others have been, because of a genuine interest. I like the stuff, what's the big deal? You assholes share random things all the time.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-28, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
I guess I should have gone with my first instinct!
eventhorizon

2006-01-28, 17:31

Quote:
Well....it's a thread that I started up the way most others have been, because of a genuine interest. I like the stuff, what's the big deal? You assholes share random things all the time.
We all share the love of your love of your red blazer and silly drinks.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-01-28, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon
We all share the love of your love of your red blazer and silly drinks.
My love of red blazer?
eventhorizon

2006-01-28, 19:06

Am I speaking esperanto?
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-01-28, 19:07

He's acting like a retard to get attention. Ignore him.