User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MBPro Heat Issue

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MBPro Heat Issue
gumby911

2006-07-09, 13:47

I need to purchase a laptop for graphic design. Want the latest and greatest, but my corp IT dept is dragging their feet and being general nay-sayers on the MBPro citing the heat and noise issues. I just need it for portability. I work in a relatively loud environment (fabrication shop right next door to my dept) so noise is not a real issue for me.

Any advice on how to shut them up?
I asked for a pair of oven mitts when they order it!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-09, 13:52

I believe the issues are resolved...

They occurred in earlier manufacturing lots...
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-07-10, 21:52

it's not really a heat issue, more like, the nature of the beast.

My brother just bought a macbook pro running at duo 2.16 ghz. It's runs a constant 144 degrees F. Too hot to put on your lap for long, I guess that's why Apple now calls them notebooks, not laptops.
shatteringglass

2006-07-10, 22:00

To be fair, I can't ever remember Apple referring to their portable computers as "laptops." They've always been "notebooks" or "portables," before they've ever had heat issues.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-10, 22:40

Yup. I too am often quick to point out that subtle choice of words to anyone who complains about a notebook computer being too hot for the lap.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-07-10, 23:19

Even if a notebook is cool enough to use on one's lap indefinitely, the position that results is an ergonomic disaster. The screen is too low, leading to stress on the upper back and neck, the wrists are forced into an unnatural position, and the machine moves around precariously causing one's muscles to tense up in order to create a stable platform and prevent any potential falls. It's feasible for a few minutes - during which heat shouldn't be a problem from even a hot notebook - but highly uncomfortable for extended use.

My only experience with the MBP was in the Apple store, and my only impression was that the heat was nothing like the internet gossip might lead you to believe. Certainly warmer than a plastic iBook under comparable load, but not any warmer than I would have expected for a metal-skinned dual-core powerhouse. So try to use a MBP before getting too carried away with internet chat about it.
autodata
hustlin

2006-07-11, 00:13

I have a recentish one (week 21) and it gets hot just like most of them do. It bothered me a little until I got this for the palmrests. From what I can tell, Apple portables seem to fluctuate from hot to cool every few revisions.
dark54555

2006-07-11, 00:52

Heat problem fixed?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-07-11, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby911
Any advice on how to shut them up?
Most, if not all, equally powerful notebooks are noisier and run just as hot or hotter. So if they need production machines in a mobile form factor they are still best off with Apple. The reason you don't read as much about other brands running hot, is beacuse just about nobody cares.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-07-11, 09:10

I have a 17" MBP and I'm here to tell you that it does get hot. Too hot to keep in my lap (plus it is just too big also).
BUT, at work we have 5 Dell Latitude D620's (also with core duo procs.) and they get just as hot if not hotter. Definately too hot to keep in your lap.

The heat is not just an Apple problem, it is a problem with every modern laptop that I have used. I also have a Dell C640 (I think that's the model -- it is a 2Ghz) and it gets too hot to sit in my lap; I also have a Thinkpad T23 (1.13 Ghz) and it gets pretty warm and so does my PB 12" 1.33.

As far as noise, the 2 17" MBP's that we have are nearly silent unless you are using the DVD drive. No humming, mooing or anything like that. The Dell's make more noise in all situations. The Dell's also have some weird sound issues when using headphones.
neiltc13

2006-07-11, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
I have a 17" MBP and I'm here to tell you that it does get hot. Too hot to keep in my lap (plus it is just too big also).
BUT, at work we have 5 Dell Latitude D620's (also with core duo procs.) and they get just as hot if not hotter. Definately too hot to keep in your lap.

The heat is not just an Apple problem, it is a problem with every modern laptop that I have used. I also have a Dell C640 (I think that's the model -- it is a 2Ghz) and it gets too hot to sit in my lap; I also have a Thinkpad T23 (1.13 Ghz) and it gets pretty warm and so does my PB 12" 1.33.
Yes but remember, the aluminum housing of the MacBook Pro better conducts heat than other, plastic notebook casings.
gumby911

2006-07-12, 20:44

I visited my local Apple dealer today. Don't know if it was just a fluke or not, but all the Apple PB machines were powered down when I arrived (lunch time). I powered up the 17" MBP and played with it for about a half hour. Nominal heat, mostly between the monitor and keyboard and likewise on the bottom. Battery removed for demo purposes. The real annoying thing was they had them all set to boot into Windows XP. Tried every boot up option I know and could not get good ol' OSX.
Oh well, mine will arrive early next week and I can judge for myself. Have a set of asbestos gloves ready just in case

Thanks for all the input!