User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Shiira + Latest nightly Webkit ??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Shiira + Latest nightly Webkit ??
iMac430

2006-02-02, 18:21

If I download and install the latest nightly Webkit, will it make the already fast Shiira 1.2.1 even faster, or does Shiira already have the latest nightly? Or will this only give Safari a speed boost? (2.0.3 on OS X 10.4.4)
Thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-02, 18:29

You would need to hack WebKit's run-safari script to run Shiira instead. And WebKit nightlies aren't about speed. They're about improving the engine.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-02, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
You would need to hack WebKit's run-safari script to run Shiira instead.
The WebKit nightly builds don't use that script any more. Now there's an actual binary included that launches Safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
And WebKit nightlies aren't about speed.
Yes and no. Some of the improvements to the engine have brought some noteworthy speed improvements as well. Some of the changes have been implemented just to improve speed, even.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-03, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The WebKit nightly builds don't use that script any more. Now there's an actual binary included that launches Safari.
Ah, yes, but it shouldn't be that hard to recompile that binary and change it to run Shiira instead.

Quote:
Yes and no. Some of the improvements to the engine have brought some noteworthy speed improvements as well. Some of the changes have been implemented just to improve speed, even.
Absolutely. But "I'm going to download the latest nightly because it's faster" as opposed to "I want to contribute to WebKit becoming better" is not what it's for. It doesn't help the project, and ultimately leads to "bug reports" that are really rather "support tickets" and slow the project down.
iMac430

2006-02-03, 20:39

I was just wondering about the speed update/difference. I'm fairly new to the Mac platform, so, "hacking or chaing" binaries and stuff probably won't be for me. I understand this is a project, and I'm sure a lot of people contribute to helping it get better. I know of a program that downloads and installs the latest nightlies, and if the user wants, can revert to the original they had. So, I know the nightlies improve browsing over all, and I do know they bring some speed boosts. So I didn't know if this would help/affect the already fast Shiira. Isn't a Webkit folder located in the system for any app that requires it to use it, or does Safari have its own Webkit folder?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-04, 12:34

Yes, there is a WebKit framework in the System folder that Safari and Mail and Help Viewer and many other applications use.

The nightly builds you download have a self-contained framework that does not alter the System-level one. When you double-click the WebKit application icon, it acts like a "wrapper" and launches the regular Safari binary with its own custom frameworks.

It would be a Very Bad™ idea to replace the System framework with what is included with the nightly builds. There may be stability, security, or other problems related to it that you don't know. Remember that the nightly builds are untested and are not intended for widespread use.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
iMac430

2006-02-04, 13:30

Got'ca, thanks for all the info Brad. I was just wondering if there way any other way that I could make Shiira 1.2.1 run even faster. (Or Safari, for that matter.)