@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-07-31, 05:47

Dude. This thread is brutal.

Props for how you’ve handled this.

Fuck Cancer.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-08-01, 20:09

This thread continues to bring bad news. I am sorry to read it. Keep being you.
AWR
Veteran Member

2017-08-02, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Keep being you.
That's the perfect sentiment.

Sorry to hear that news, 'Burb.

I guess you've finished your latest round of treatment. I hope you feel some improvement soon.

Are you out and about at all?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-08-09, 08:02

We're all thinking about you.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2018-01-23, 16:18

🎊 Happy New Year.🍾🎉🎇

2018 and I’m still kicking 🏉!!! ha ha!!

I had a lengthy, detailed post describing some of the ups and downs of treatment in the last few months, but my iPad ate it returning from another page submit form (during the latest iOS update me thinks)... Adblocking Safari seems to lose the plot remembering Forum login details

Oh well, better to keep the short version anyway... less bleak, in a thread already full of buzzkill, LOL

Want to play Bad news Good news? I’ll go first.

Bad news )
  • Updates by way of hospital visits in the last few months :

• Cancer now spread into right “good” lung, as predicted by my Oncologist

Updates by way of pain spikes:

• At first, pain that required “enough (oral) Ketamine to drop a racehorse”, according to my Palliative Doc...
  • Then, in the following week, almost double that dose, every hour... for almost 36 straight hours
Good news )
  • Apparently I have some Centaur-like metabolism and/or tolerances
    (some would say LOL Sagittarius... no surprise )
  • Now swapped onto subcutaneous syringe driver... better pain control FTW

Updates by way of alternative medicine...
  • may get Cannabis oil hook-up

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2018-01-24, 06:34

Happy new year!

And although there’s not much else to say it includes this: each chapter of your saga has inspired me to get on with good and useful things in my own finite life.

You’ve been dealt a hard hand and played it with courage and grace. I think we’ve all marvelled at that.

Do not go gentle into that good night. And in the meantime, here’s to pain control and the internet!

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2018-01-24, 08:27

Happy New Year!

Dorian - you write beautifully, but ‘Burb... the way you conduct yourself is an inspiration. My thoughts and prayers are with you mate - may the pain meds do their thing and your strength and spirit keep true.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2018-01-26, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Happy new year!

And although there’s not much else to say it includes this: each chapter of your saga has inspired me to get on with good and useful things in my own finite life.

You’ve been dealt a hard hand and played it with courage and grace. I think we’ve all marvelled at that.

Do not go gentle into that good night. And in the meantime, here’s to pain control and the internet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Happy New Year!

Dorian - you write beautifully, but ‘Burb... the way you conduct yourself is an inspiration. My thoughts and prayers are with you mate - may the pain meds do their thing and your strength and spirit keep true.
Dear 'burb,

Dorian and Mac+ have spoken so well for all of us. I too feel inspired by you to fill each day with meaningful and heartfelt activities and thoughts in pursuit of well-considered goals. Thank you ever so much for that impulse. You may never know how many lives you've changed for the better by your courage and your example.

In turn, I hope our intensely positive good wishes feed into and support your strength, both mental and physical. I'm also sending a massive hug along via UPS, so when you see that brown truck pulling up at the curb, you'll know what to expect.

I wish you the very best.
Dr. Bobsky

2018-01-27, 12:41

When I attend seminars where brilliant scientist speak to the inevitability of cancer's return, and yet throw themselves back onto the draining task of finding better ways of fighting it, I see only some of what it must be like to be the patient that must find reserves upon reserves of survival. There are some wild things happening in the field these days, including, as I heard yesterday, turning cancer cells into factories for immunotherapies that act against themselves. But for all of the promise of progress, it doesn't encapsulate the experience of the here and now. It doesn't capture the patient fighting against their body, their pain, and the abject and open bleakness of all of our finite reality. Yet you manage all of this with an amazing amount of grace and humor, curious. I am glad that your pain is being managed, and I hope that your continued sunrises find you unbending and present. May the THC see you well!

All the best!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-01-27, 23:44

We love you 'Burb.

Even if we only check in occasionally you're a part of our lives.

Seize Life! <3

AWR
Veteran Member

2018-01-28, 03:03

Happy New Year, 'burb.

Thanks for the update -- we've been hoping! I wish there was better news.

Dorian and Mac+ have put well my (I imagine everyone here) thoughts and wishes. Luckily I haven't had to confront a cancer story during my lifetime. While we are mere internet acquaintances, I have been moved by your responses to this saga - the research, the hope, the bravery, the levity.

'burbs you are one of those people who truly make the world a more interesting, warmer place.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-07-07, 08:02

Came across this thread from somewhere else and notice that 'burb's last post was over two years ago.

Man, that's nuts and I can't imagine that there's much good news behind that, besides the fact that he no longer has to battle this.

There are few places where I've kept a very long term presence online, and I'm sure that's probably the case with almost everyone, but it still sucks when people are no longer around. I haven't really dealt much with people leaving because of death, but it's crazy to see this still.

Hopefully you're off enjoying things 'burb, wherever that may be.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-07, 10:51

No doubt, and thanks for bringing that up. Perhaps all is well and he just no longer visits. That would be better than the alternative.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-07-07, 22:39

Thank you for posting about 'Burb. I think of him every time our Space thread pops up, and must also assume that he passed. Not a lot of closure when internet friends disappear. We should all hope to be remembered with fondness when we are gone.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-07-07, 22:49

We don't know enough about 'Burb to add him to the "Tribute" page we have for LoCash, but it sure would be neat.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-07, 23:12

Tell you what, Drew. If it turns out that his ones and zeroes have been deleted, he'll get added. And I'll rename the page to something more … appropriate.

Anyone know his IRL name?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-07-08, 04:09

Well, this is… oof.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-07-09, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Thank you for posting about 'Burb. I think of him every time our Space thread pops up, and must also assume that he passed. Not a lot of closure when internet friends disappear. We should all hope to be remembered with fondness when we are gone.

I've thought about leaving a note for my wife/daughter/etc.. for after I pass to post on whatever social media/websites that I'm currently using that I'm no longer around. Obviously, that would require some updating as the time passes, but I think it would be a good thing overall to do. Kind of creepy to write it out now, but I also have a note about passwords, banks, etc.. that are there "just in case" so I could just add to that.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-07-09, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've thought about leaving a note for my wife/daughter/etc.. for after I pass to post on whatever social media/websites that I'm currently using that I'm no longer around. Obviously, that would require some updating as the time passes, but I think it would be a good thing overall to do. Kind of creepy to write it out now, but I also have a note about passwords, banks, etc.. that are there "just in case" so I could just add to that.
I have a file with a list of sites to post to to pass on the news of what happens to me that my roommates know about. I've had it for over a decade. Started it after an internet acquaintance on another webforum passed away.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-07-13, 18:55

Would that be an iWill?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-13, 19:21

I've often thought about how to go about things like this. I dont have a significant other, so things like the code to my safe, phone password, computer password, business account passwords (family business), simple things like key codes to my house, house cameras, ect. There's a lot of stuff these days that I/we take for granted that have passwords that people could probably never get access to if we passed away.

Does anyone have a good plan for this? I've always looked for advice.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-14, 10:37

Get a safe deposit box and chuck everything in there. Then leave a convenient note in a file cabinet. Anoint someone you trust with power of attorney, and with a death certificate they will be able to gain access.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-16, 15:04

I have a very trusting relationship with my wife so have have power of attorney for each other. We also share the same 1Password account so we have access to all the same sites for each other. Most cases this isn't a problem but cause do we need two Lowes accounts? No, but places like here where we want individual identities we have a login saved with my name and one with her name. This means we have two entries, but if I am gone she can still login and let my friends know.

We also went to the extent to have an Estate Plan drawn up. This doesn't have my password in it and the hope is that my wife and I both not die at the same time (plane crash kind of thing) so the kids will be able to get access if needed.

Really though, an old school Safe deposit box is great for this kind of thing. Put the password in there along with official copies of your death documents and give access limited PoA to the one who needs access with the death cert.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2020-10-21, 13:35

I haven't been on AN in a long time, but today this thread popped into my head. I'm so sorry to see that burb has likely passed on. :-(