Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Linksys vs. Netgear Wireless Router

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Linksys vs. Netgear Wireless Router
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-12, 17:41

I'm in the market for a wireless router and would like your feedback on these two items. The CNET reviews are pretty similar with each getting about 6/10 from the user submissions. It doesn't inspire confidence. Regardless, I'm looking for something cheap and these both fit the bill.

Netgear 802.11g Wireless Router, model WGR614

Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router, model WRT54G

How is general performance? Range? How often does it hang? How often to you have to power cycle? Any setup hassles? Have you had to return or replace one? Have you ever had one with problems overheating?

Thanks in advance.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-07-12, 18:03

Based on my experience with a few clients' setups, I'd recommend the Linksys as more reliable, better web config interface, better firmware. Plus, you can bridge an Airport Extreme/Express from it if you really put your mind to mucking with the firmware.

I've seen multiple instances of each one dying in less than 13 months, as well as each one lasting several years, so it's an evenly matched crapshoot AFAICT.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-07-12, 18:35

I have a similar Netgear router (but not wireless) and a Network everywhere wireless router. If I recall, Network Everywhere is owned by Linksys. While I can't vouch for the Netgear wireless capabilities, the Network Everywhere router drops out under heavy load VERY frequently. The Macs reconnect in 5 seconds but PC's throw up errors and AOL quits. I also like the Netgear web interface better and went crazy blocking Ad sites with the block list.

Power cycling: I suggest you disable UPnP. That tends to crash SOMETHING and my entire LAN stops. I can't seem to pin it to one specific device but my hunch is it is one of the routers. Multicasting does this too. Pulling the plug on everything at once solves the problem. My Netgear router has to be restarted after disconnects from my cable modem. Using the Web interface does a soft restart or something and glitches in performance soon follow. The Network Everywhere router has to be restarted more frequently.

Of the two, I recommend Netgear.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-07-12 at 18:38.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-07-12, 20:20

I've had an older version of the Netgear for two and a half years, and it's worked perfectly fine. The reception up here in my room isn't that great, but that's to be expected, since I'm pretty far away from it. I don't think I've touched the router since a few months ago at least, and that was to plug my Powerbook into an Ethernet port. I haven't seen the config window since 2003, at least.

However, Linksys is now owned by Cisco, so they'll probably get new features faster. I know friends whose Linksys wireless routers have worked well, so it seems as though either one would work.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-07-12, 21:09

I own the above lynksis and it has been great to me. the only issue i have had is the setup is a bit screwy but there is a downloadable program on the lynksis site that will correct the issue. aside from that though the range is great and i don't even have it up all the way. the firmware interface is decent and fairly intuative. and as for losing the signal it happens every now and then one every 3 or 4 days. though i suspect that it is more to do with the range between my comp and the router that is to blame for that.

Get the Lynksis.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-12, 21:39

I might as well toss in my experience now that I've got a few other opinions. I didn't want to start off with skewed responses.

I've only worked with Linksys routers, none of which have been wireless models. The one I've been using for the past year belongs to a housemate and has been utter crap. At least once a day, sometimes several times within a few hours, it just gives up. I don't know if it's a traffic issue or something else, but it just shuts off and ceases all communication for about 20 seconds at seemingly random times. It also seems to have trouble updating when the cable modem gets a new IP. Of course, the firmware in the unit is over three years old because the guy refuses to let me update it. So, that may play a part in the flakiness.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-07-12, 21:39

WRT54G

It's a great router. Mine has been bulletproof.
Great performance, great range, it's never hung, but I have had to power cycle it a couple of times. Easy setup via your browser, no returns and overheating has never been a problem.

Because Linksys has made the source code available, there are lots of fun things you can do with the WRT54G by loading new firmware from Sveasoft, LinksysInfo.org or WRT54G.com.

Go Linksys.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-12, 22:01

Open source firmware? Whoa!

Looking at some of these sites certainly makes that seem to sweeten the deal a lot.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-13, 02:56

Yeah, the open source software is way cool. They had to release the original firmware source, because the router runs on a stripped down linux installation. As a result, you can do all of your linux network administrator magic on the open source firmwares, because they include an ssh server.

My experience with a Linksys WRT54G has been overall very positive. The signal occasionally dropped out — perhaps once every few week, for a few minutes, but it's pretty much not a problem. The configuration interface is also very nice, imho.
Bill M

2005-07-13, 03:18

What about D-Link? I have experienced easier setups (albeit no more than just a dozen home networks) and better support from D-Link over Linksys. I've never tried Netgear.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-13, 03:21

I'm not really looking at D-Link (or anything else) right now because those two specific models I mentioned are on sale this week. I'd be happy to hear other opinions, though.

gjas15

2005-07-13, 03:28

I've used a linksys 802.11b router and owned a netgear WGT624. The linksys always dropped connections I would have to restart the thing at least 5 times a day and yes it had the latest firmware. It seemed to do it when at least 4-5 of the HP laptops at the school were connected and actively using the internet. My netgear worked flawlessy until I needed a firmware update for an MSN Messenger bug. The firmware update failed and the router wouldnt boot.

[rant starting]
Called tech support and since it was out of the 1 yr warranty they wouldnt even look at it. The guy I talked to said, "You'll have to buy a new router." I thought to myself oh hell no I payed $120 for this router and your crappy firmware update software broke it. I informed him that me nor any of my friends/clients would ever be buying a netgear product again. Due to there inept product software and support.
[end of rant]

Anyway, I now have a linksys 4 port switch (like $20) connected to my dsl modem, the pc, and my new super cool Asus wireless AP (The WL-300g) . The DSL modem did act as the DHCP server (now I use static address) but the access point also has the capability. It also has the most super cool feature ever... a firmware recovery program! :smokey: It works with WDS to my airport express but it cant use wpa protection while doing so only wep. great range too and if its not good enough for you it has an external antenna port.

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-07-13 at 03:43.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-07-13, 08:27

i have 2 linksys units and 1 netgear. the 2 linksys have given me no isses at all while the netgear the wifi stops working atleast once every few days and i need to unplug it and then back in to get it to work again.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's