Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Project Gallery

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Project Gallery
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
arteggio

2011-04-13, 16:09

Although there's the Map and Screenshot thread, I've been thinking that our constructions deserve their own highlight.

Ideally I would do this by having an AppleNova Minecraft set on Flickr to keep everything photographically organized, but I'm not sure that everyone uses Flickr. Just linking the photos in one's post works, but I could see that becoming a bit unwieldy.

I'll start the thread off with turtle's Bridgeport creeper tower.

Share your projects!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 19:10

My latest project isn't 100% finished, but I spent all this afternoon/evening finishing it enough so I could go away for the next week without it preoccupying my thoughts.

Here's one of the views of part of it at night:

As some of you had guessed, my latest project was the construction of the life-size Bridgeport International Airport. Only one plane has pulled into the terminal for now, but I'm sure that as the construction dust settles, we'll see a few more...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 19:33

It's scale to a real 737. Because Brad's a nerd.

Needless to say, it's a very realistic airport. The seats in the terminals are flat and uncomfortable and the map by the entrance is probably more accurate than PDX's. All that's missing is a mediocre we-know-you-have-no-other-options restaurant, like a Sbarro's or something.

But I worry that the sky above Bridgeport may soon become congested, which could cause demand for tickets to outstrip supply and prices to go...sky-high. I think I'm going to start a letter-writing campaign to encourage our elected official (Congressperson? Representative? King of Town?) to consider investing in high-speed rail.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-16, 21:10

That would require a letter to Notch to fix minecarts in SMP. So I don't know about your feelings with writing to a deity, but that's basically what you need to do. I hear if enough people write him about an issue, he'll fix it in a few months!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-17, 01:35

Y'know, I thought your place down there had a sort of 'airport tarmac' layout to it when I was walking around a while back. Guess I wasn't that far off.
arteggio

2011-04-17, 07:59

I figured out it was an airport about a week ago, and loved it.

At first I was thinking it might be an amusement park with a luxury building attached to the front (curvy dirt lanes inspire odd thoughts), but I finally figured it out. I'll have to check out that 737, and you should get credentials to land one of those France jumbo planes that clip the small ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think I'm going to start a letter-writing campaign to encourage our elected official (Congressperson? Representative? King of Town?) to consider investing in high-speed rail.
I think we opted against an elected government by turning the White House Town Hall into a Post Office, no?. All we can do is bribe each other. It's the Indian model!

But forget high-speed rail. I'm still waiting for flying planes, personally. I could see them coming in 3.2...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-17, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I figured out it was an airport about a week ago, and loved it.

At first I was thinking it might be an amusement park with a luxury building attached to the front (curvy dirt lanes inspire odd thoughts), but I finally figured it out.
The unusual structure/layout of the building gave it away for me. I was sure of it as soon as I saw that each of the rooms off to the side would have different colored carpet. Of course, I wasn't able to tell Brad my guess until after he built the map and control tower, and he mocked me relentlessly.

If only there was a way to make one of those moving walkway things, with an annoying robot voice at the end. And where is the white courtesy phone?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-17, 09:45

This is a pretty interesting idea, especially since you could build jets high up and then tear down their scaffolding to make it look like they're actually flying.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-17, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
This is a pretty interesting idea, especially since you could build jets high up and then tear down their scaffolding to make it look like they're actually flying.
I can't believe it. This was actually exactly my original idea before the airport, but I decided I needed to build the airport before there should be planes in the sky. So much for that upcoming surprise...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-17, 11:28

Sorry.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-17, 11:33

No worries. That won't stop me from building! I actually graphed out the 737 layout before any of the airport with the idea that I'd build it as high as possible but still do it at full size. Daring individuals who found their way up to it (dirt stack?) would see it decked out like the one currently parked on the tarmac.

Now that I've built one full-size one, and realizing how shallow the skybox is, I might not put full-size planes in the sky. They might be too big and too low.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-17, 13:11

Have one coming in for landing?
arteggio

2011-04-17, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Have one coming in for landing?
At an angle. That ought to be fun.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-17, 14:28

Gah. Art beat me to it. The runway will run diagonal like any proper runway should, but there's no way I'll be able to build the plane at 45 degrees. So, whatever goes in the air will just be *starting* its landing approach.

¡Damned!

2011-04-17, 15:45

Awesome. I believe the control tower may be tracking a small, far-off "bogey" in the future, what with the strange appearance of a large extraterrestrial craft in the NW.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-17, 23:54

Holy abuse of demi-godery -- i walked out to the turtle's park and they've got buildings made out of ORES!!!!!

Helped myself to a new set of shiny armor and walked via a long underground tunnel back to the original turtle complex...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-18, 00:08

I totally missed that the Stairs of Insanity were the original post here! Thanks for noticing it. I rather like it myself, though you can see, I had to modify it slightly because of the width of the stairs.

I haven't been able to be on much this past week at all though because of family in town, though I will be on more this week again. I'm looking forward to getting my house built there in BP too.

So you like the shop out there bb? It was a project Mrs T wanted to do and I think she did an awesome job too. I did help with some of the details, and supplies.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-18, 01:40

I was worried about being a beggar going out to the Turtle Park to get diamond supplies UNTIL Mrs. Turtle explained that the pavers were diamond block and Rowdy was staring at the ores that the building is made from!! O.o

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-18, 17:57

I finished my house last night. After collecting all that wool, I decided to make it out of bricks.

I thought it was a colorful and fun first project. I want to thank everyone who gave me tools or materials.

EDIT: Images fixed!

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-18 at 19:38.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-18, 18:35

Broken images Robo.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-18, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Broken images Robo.
Did I mention I'm going on like no sleep? Images should be fixed now. Way to not simplify my life, Dropbox.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-18, 20:03

AWESOME house! I LOVE it!!!!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-18, 20:46

Wow, that house is awesome. I'm jealous.
Bonn89

2011-04-18, 22:06

I think that just might be the most fitting house in the history of Minecraft. What better style for a game that's essentially LEGOs?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-18, 22:26

Holy crap that's awesome robo. I totally didn't see that coming. Brilliant use of the colored wools!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-18, 22:27

And to think I thought it was going to be a zen garden!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-18, 22:33

Wow, you did awesome Robo! No really, great job!
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-18, 23:19

v. nice Robo...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-18, 23:20

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm glad you all like it.

Various trivia, because I'm a nerd too:

I chose red, yellow, white, blue, and black because those the are colors of the original LEGO bricks — outside of green baseplates, other colors of pieces wouldn't become common until much later. It's sort of hard to see the studs on the black brick, so I put it in the back.

According to Brickipedia, 8x12 baseplates do exist, and are the smallest baseplates. 8x16 baseplates are much more common, though. (I briefly considered expanding the "baseplate" out into the area opened up by the moving of the sidewalk, but 8x14 baseplates don't exist. And I kind of like the open little "park" that's there now.)

The bricks are as close to the proportions of real LEGO bricks as you can get with a reasonably-sized structure. If you pay attention to the stud spacing, it makes sense — for example, the studs are two spaces apart, but there's only one space between the outer studs and the wall of the garden. This is so, if you placed another baseplate next to it, a regular brick designed for two spaces between studs would be able to bridge them.

I put the door on the back of the white brick to preserve a clean facade. (Spare me the "rear entry" jokes, please.) The area by the door is also the only place you can see all five bricks at once from the ground.

I didn't get rid of the rainbow. I just moved it inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
I think that just might be the most fitting house in the history of Minecraft. What better style for a game that's essentially LEGOs?
I know, right? I felt it was an appropriate first project. It's sort of zen, if you think about it, if you don't think too hard. Very meta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
And to think I thought it was going to be a zen garden!
A zen garden was probably a more logical guess. I called the area surrounding the house a "garden" because I didn't know what else to call it, and didn't want to give it away.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-25, 23:40

Okay, so, everyone should be familiar with my money bin landmark in Bridgeport.

Behind Bonn's house in this old pic.

Well, it was recently brought to my attention that the back face of the bin was rather bland and that it needed a design since new construction was happening on the north side of town.

Timing couldn't have been more perfect for this PVP strip from the Friday before I left for vacation last week: