Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Problems with the Post Office

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Problems with the Post Office
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2007-12-18, 18:58

I don't know if anyone here as any recommendations, but I'm getting very frustrated with the post office. A little over two years ago, my husband and I bought our house and we, along with the former owners, filled out mail forwarding cards so that their mail would follow them to Alabama, and our mail would come here. We still get their mail, and while some of it is junk, I think some of it is actually important (of course, I don't know for sure, since I don't open it, obviously).

Anyway, I've been writing "Not here" or "return to sender" or whatever and putting it back in the mailbox, as I was told by the post office when I complained about still receiving mail. Three weeks ago, I got another bill or something for the previous owners with "Final notice" stamped on it - so apparently, that mail wasn't being forward. I went to the post office and mailed that bill to the owners in Alabama. Then I asked AGAIN what I can do. Same response.

So anyway, today I put another stack of their mail back in the mailbox with "Not here - please forward" written on each piece. When I went to pick up my mail this evening, one of those letters was still in there, with a note from the mailperson saying that none of it was forwardable and that it would be destroyed, was that ok with me?

What should I do? I don't want to keep mailing stuff on my own to Alabama, but I also don't want to be responsible for them not receiving their mail. In the letter I forwarded, I included a note saying that we were still getting mail, but I haven't heard anything back. Anyway, I think I'm going to go down to the post office to figure this out, but I don't have very high hopes. Any suggestions?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-12-18, 19:04

I thought Post Office were legally obliged to guarantee delivery of mail?

I don't think it should even be in your hands at all. I'd either get Postmaster in this or if that didn't help, try Postal Inspector (they normally deal with mail frauds, and I don't know whether this is in their boundary or not, but maybe they can refer you to the correct department who will see to it through.

You should have no responsibility at all; it lies squarely upon PO.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-12-18, 19:05

It's nothing to do with the Post Office. Mark them 'Return to Sender" and hopefully the companies sending them will realise that they need to find out the real address. Failing that, bin them. It's not your fault that other people have failed to update their addresses.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-12-18, 19:09

I think that there are certain classes of junk mail that the Post Office will not forward. Was it bulk rate mail that they said was not forwardable?

@Bryson: She said the previous owners did fill out mail forwarding cards.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-12-18, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I thought Post Office were legally obliged to guarantee delivery of mail?
Only if it's correctly addressed, surely?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-12-18, 19:25

Sure, and as mentioned, forwarding was already filed, so I can't imagine how those can't be not forwarded.
Is it 1981?

2007-12-18, 19:33

Wow, I had no idea the PO service could be just as bad and have a 'not my problem' attitude as it is here in the UK. In the three parts of the country I've lived in over the past three years (including London) I've always had indescribably bad and appalling service with the post offices themselves and the postal service. Hope you manage to get this issue sorted out quickly and easily.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-12-18, 20:19

Is forwarding free in the US? Because in the UK it's a payable service that expires. (Because it costs money to do...)
zsummers
Avast!

2007-12-18, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
I think that there are certain classes of junk mail that the Post Office will not forward. Was it bulk rate mail that they said was not forwardable?

@Bryson: She said the previous owners did fill out mail forwarding cards.
The forwarding only lasts 6 months (or possibly a year, but I'm almost certain only 6 months). During that time, the previous owners should have filled out change of address cards for the mail that was getting forwarded to them (it often even has a stamp telling you to do that). After that, any mail that's left is either unsolicited, or is the previous owners fault.

Sorry for your trouble, Naderfan. You've been very nice (sending on the mail and such). You might either write a letter (since you still have the address) to the former owners letting them know about the problem and asking them to change their address with any of the important looking mail. Or, you're within your rights to just give it back to the post office & let them dispose of it.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
zsummers
Avast!

2007-12-18, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Is forwarding free in the US? Because in the UK it's a payable service that expires. (Because it costs money to do...)
It's free (but time limited).
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-18, 21:21

Pitch it. The people that moved are responsible for contacting those that need their new address, not you.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2007-12-18, 22:21

Yeah, for the most part, it looks like it's all junk mail (credit card offers, etc.) but every once in awhile, I get stuff like Medicare and insurance things that I think are actually important. That's the only stuff I'm really worried about.

What really annoys me is that no one at the post office seems to care. The last guy told me that the reason I'm still getting this stuff is because they've had a lot of switching on our route, so the new people don't look carefully. I just don't even want to get this stuff anymore. And I'm worried to pitch it, in case it was either a.) important, or b.) leads to identity theft. My goal is just to stop getting this stuff. At this point, I don't give a crap if it reaches the people or not.