Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone SE 3 rumored for April 2021

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone SE 3 rumored for April 2021
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-11, 10:57

According to this new MacRumors article, anyway.

Interesting, but I'm not sure I buy the iPhone one. It took them four years to put out a second-generation SE model, and, during that time, they even discontinued/killed the model outright for a long period. Unless this second-generation one is just selling like hotcakes - and maybe it is? - it seems weird that they'd be updating it after just one year. I know they do this with their other iPhones, the flagship lines, every autumn, but they barely seem to acknowledge the SE.

I think they put one out to shut people like me up because I ain't ever gonna spent $699+ on a phone.

"Throw that idiot in Tennessee a bone and give the cheapskate his precious $399 iPhone so he'll leave us alone...".

The details/specifics on the SE are a bit unclear in this article. They talk of both a larger "plus"-size version (no), and/or an update to the existing 4.7" model (A14 processor, improved camera, tweaked body style, etc. would be my guess). When the iPhone SE first came out in early 2016, it sported the same A9 processor as the iPhone 6s released that previous autumn, 4-5 months before. So having a new SE in the spring packing the same processor as the current flagship model has already happened twice (the A9 in 2015/2016 and the A13 in 2019/2020), so that's a no-brainer in my mind.

Well, crap...now I gotta wait until April to see if something pans out.

But that actually works out nicely, as April will mark five years(!) exactly since I got this SE (April 2016), and my plan all along was to try to get a good five years out of it (yeah, I know...I keep things longer than most). I wasn't going to do anything until April anyway (and my plan all along was just to get the second-generation SE, but maybe there will be an even newer one, a third-generation model). Fine with me!

The battery and the Lightning connector on my current first-generation SE is getting a little flakier and less-than with each passing week (I gotta insert the Lightning cable just right and then hold my breath and hope for the best; and it's the phone, because it does this with four cables I've tried), but if I've gone four years and eight months, what's another 3-4 months at this point? I can do that standing on my head; I'm already used to the wonky, drain-as-you-watch-it battery, and if I can just keep it charged nightly as I sleep, I can (mostly) get through a day, give or take.

Maybe the SE, and the pro AirPods, are selling in strong, better-than-expected numbers, and that's the reason for another round of each coming sooner than I ever would've expected? I just figured there would be nothing new on the SE front until well into 2022 (or even 2023). I hope this pans out...I'll be more than ready for a new iPhone come April.

I love this little SE, obviously, but, at 55+ months, it's definitely showing its age (and that was with a December 31, 2018 battery replacement at the KC Apple Store).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-11 at 11:15.
chinesebear

2021-01-11, 19:47

Quote:
The battery and the Lightning connector on my current first-generation SE is getting a little flakier and less-than with each passing week (I gotta insert the Lightning cable just right and then hold my breath and hope for the best; and it's the phone, because it does this with four cables I've tried), but if I've gone four years and eight months, what's another 3-4 months at this point?
I know you've probably tried a lot with this connector, but have you tried cleaning it out with a toothpick? I had a similar problem with my phone and cleaned what amounted to a dime-sized pile of lint out of that lightning connector hole. That sure did help things.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-11, 19:54

I will try that. Thanks!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-12, 00:14

The plug connection on my 7 Plus must be wallowed out because I have to be very careful about the angle that the pin slides in. It can go all the way in but slide all the way back out.

It's annoying, but if I can hold out until September I will go straight to the 13!