AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Water Proofing my iPod

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Water Proofing my iPod
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-05-25, 19:10

I'll be going to the beach in a few weeks, and I plan on kayaking most of the days. Well although I think this will be fun, I have to admit to myself that when going out or coming in...or even more likely riding waves that I may flip. Well what fun is going out and enjoying nature if you can't bring technology with you? It would be much more enjoyable if I could have my iPod with me to listen to music.

I'm not worried about the headphones getting wet...I can always buy another pair of ear phones. I'm worried about the iPod getting wet. Now besides the chord from the iPod, the iPod can be entirely enclosed, because you can control it through plastic or whatever. I was trying to figure out a way to seal it in a bag, but nothing that I am very confident in. Perhaps others have experience or ideas?

I'm not worried about the headphones because I've soaked mine in water (accidently) for several hours before. After letting them dry they worked fine. Although I guess the ocean is salt water
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-25, 19:57

I'd personally feel too nervous taking an iPod kayaking. However, I do know of an old recording technique whereby some audio engineers putting mics underwater first used to cover them in a prophylactic, thus protecting the mic from water damage. I'm sure it doesn't need to be said... but I will anyway: make sure it's a clean one though.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-25, 20:02

Here is one, I found it in a macworld issue. It is called the Lilipod.

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?QuickSearch=lilipod
ast3r3x

2004-05-25, 20:14

Haha, damn $40. I wonder if it's worth it. Maybe I just take my brothers minidisk player

Haha...prophylactic...guess not the lubricated kind? I'd do that, but I'm not sure how I'd seal it safely. Doesn't the iPod need air to operate though. I mean is an enclosed area a good idea?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-25, 22:51

Undertaker beat me to the punch. I, too, saw the ad for the Lilipod in the newest Macworld and thought "hey, this is what ast3r3x is looking for".

Only product like that I'm aware of. But I'm betting others will follow, being summer and water-activity season. I can think of no other gadget I'd rather have while lazily floating around a pool on a big inflatable recliner than a nicely-stocked iPod. iPod in one hand, cool adult beverage in the other...and not worried about either one getting splashed.

I'm wondering if something homemade and inexpensive could be rigged up?
ast3r3x

2004-05-26, 05:01

I was hoping something could be rigged up as well. But I guess $40 isn't that bad if it's going to protect my iPod.

2004-05-28, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Well what fun is going out and enjoying nature if you can't bring technology with you?
the solution is called eskimo roll.
http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~el33...e/rolle_hi.mpg
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-05-28, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123
the solution is called eskimo roll.
http://www.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~el33...e/rolle_hi.mpg
heh awesome
someone you know?

but notice that there wAS background music playing... Imagine how much cooler that would have been if the guy had earphones and was listening to music when that all went down...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
ZO

2004-06-02, 07:04

nothing a couple ziplock bags, tar, and duct tape can't make waterproof...
tonton

2004-06-02, 10:52

Put it in a durable freezer bag and tightly wrap a quality rubber band around the cord.

BTW it's "cord" not "chord". A chord is a combination of musical notes.
ast3r3x

2004-06-03, 06:14

Just wanted to let everyone know that the iPod is already slightly water resistant. I spilled water on it a while ago and it worked fine, but yesterday was the real test. I took it to hershey park, and while I did hold it under my leg, it survived the Canyon River Rapids, which contains three water falls!