Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Shiira Web browser

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Shiira Web browser
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-07-16, 04:12

Seems cool, I prefer it better then Safari thats for sure. anyone else tried it?
Its only 2.5Mb

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/index-e.html
usurp

2005-07-16, 04:56

just a small update. so far i like shiira. its better then safari with more features and customization while is a lot lighter then firefox. going to use it as my primary browser for a day or two and see how it goes. so far this looks like a good firefox subsitute at home where i have an aging slow mac.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-16, 05:18

Holy cow. The default page transition effect is breaking my brain.

Edit: hooray, it has search engine keywords in the location bar! I can browse without the toolbar visible!

I've got to say, Shiira seems to have come a long way in terms of polish since last I used it.

Last edited by staph : 2005-07-16 at 05:24.
usurp

2005-07-16, 06:32

wow cool, didnt know about the search engine keywords
staph
Microbial member

2005-07-16, 06:51

yeah, it's got to be one of my all-time favourite power user features. It's one of the things which I really like about OmniWeb. Unfortunately, Shiira doesn't yet support shortcuts/aliases in the location bar ala Omniweb (i.e., I assign "an" to http://forums.applenova.com/search.php?do=getdaily, and thereafter just have to type "an" to get there). You can, however, trick it into treating a normal URL as a query by typing a redundant space at the end of the shortcut.

As far as I can tell, Shiira also doesn't allow the assignment of a keyboard shortcut to a bookmark, which is unfortunate (and puts it behind Safari in that respect).

I don't like using the mouse. Can you tell?
usurp

2005-07-16, 09:00

Quote:
I only got a chance to play around with it for a few minutes, but Im going to take a harder look at it in a few minutes.

My initial thoughts Im so used to the way that safari closes tabs and goes to the next one in like that when I close a tab in Shiira and it goes to the last viewed tab I get confused.

I don't like sidebars, I hated it when mail had one, I hate Omniweb's side bar, and don't like this one either.

The tab expose is nice, needs some love yet, but its getting there.

All in all its on the right track I think. I certainly would have used this back in the day before safari was out and I wasn't satisfied with any other option. Chimera grew on me after a while.

It was weird, I used to turn the brushed metal off in Safari. After installing Tiger I never bothered with the whole customizing thing and got used to the brushed metal so when I started this up I was amazingly distracted by the bright white surrounding my webpages.

EDIT: Forgot: I do like how when I close the side bar the app resizes back to where it was.
SilentEchoes, in the options under tabs you have the option of closing tabs Safari style so that solves your first issue.

i dont like sidebars either but u dont really have to use sidebars in Shiira. At first the download were coming up inthe sidebar but i stopped that from the options.

the cool thing i found was the way u can bring in firefoxs or safaris toolbar bookmark. soo easy

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's

Last edited by usurp : 2005-07-16 at 09:02.
usurp

2005-07-16, 09:00

oh and you can have it brushed metal look if u like, its also in the options.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2005-07-16, 09:01

usurp, Yeah I just deleted my post after using it a bit longer now and realizing that most everything I complained about can be remedied.

Its starting to grow on me already.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
usurp

2005-07-16, 09:02

lol i just added the quote of your old post because my post was look weird without yours
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2005-07-16, 09:08

Yeah I was going to re-write that post, since that was more of a first impression after just launching the app and loading a couple of websites.

I dunno it looks like it may be a contender for Safari's space in my dock.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
usurp

2005-07-16, 09:31

i just added in the amazon, ebay, imdb, and wiki search engines.

so far it looks like its going to replace firefox for me. only issue i have is that the admin are in my wordpress blog isnt very compatible with safari/shiira browsers..

omem

2005-07-16, 13:48

I'm using it now and I like it a lot!

One thing: how do you sync your Safari bookmarks with Shiira?
usurp

2005-07-16, 14:18

In prefrences go to bookmarks, and in the Bookmarks menu select Safari. then if you want to do a bit of changing arround and stuff press alt command and B to bring out the bookmark drawer.

i think the coolest thing about this browser is that its Made In Japan

EmC

2005-07-16, 15:41

I used to use this[Shiira] when I first transitioned to the mac about two years ago. I think I stopped using it when I upgraded to panther and just never reinstalled it. I am absolutely amazed at how fast it is loading these pages. I didn't think that I would really be able to notice a difference, but it really is there. I think this just became my forum browser again. Really nice.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽

Last edited by EmC : 2005-07-16 at 15:41. Reason: clarification
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-07-16, 16:01

Im trying it out right now.

I like all of the customizations but Im finding that it is a little slower than the nightly builds of Safari and it doesnt have active spell check.

Other than that, im pretty impressed so far.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-16, 17:54

It does have spell checking here. Control/right-click a text field, Spelling -> Check Spelling as You Type.

Also, you can get it to use the nightly build of WebKit like Safari too. Just change the nightly's execution script to call Shiira instead.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Unch

2005-07-17, 07:19

There's one feature I really miss when I'm not using Firefox and that is the search-as-you-type. It's so much more efficient than faffing about with a find window. Anyone know if this has or is plans to have such a feature?

As I currently still use 10.2 I can't try it out.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
usurp

2005-07-17, 09:35

not that i can see. only way to find on the page is command F
Hassan i Sabbah

2005-07-18, 03:42

Mmm. My new browser. Love it.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-18, 13:56

I must say I'm impressed by its speed and UI. I've been trialing it for 2 days now and it has a better feel than Firefox - no offence to Mozilla. Congratulations to the Shiira guys for producing such a nice app.
usurp

2005-07-19, 01:49

yeah same here, been using it for a few days now and although i miss some small features from firefox, i prefer using shiira. The stuff I miss from firefox will be added soon to shiira anyway.

usurp

2005-07-19, 02:02

can anyone tell me how to add the amazon engine to the search bar? i was able to add ebay and imdb just stuck on amazon
staph
Microbial member

2005-07-19, 02:57

Amazon uses post for the form submission on its search page, and Shiira (unlike OmniWeb) doesn't seem to give you the option to post the query string.

So the short answer is — you can't.
usurp

2005-07-19, 04:08

i figured out how to add an amzon search but now its only checking in the books section:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ex...ld-keywords=%@
staph
Microbial member

2005-07-19, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i figured out how to add an amzon search but now its only checking in the books section:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ex...ld-keywords=%@
You need to add index=blended& before field-keywords, I think.

Hmm. I wonder why the get method didn't work for me…
usurp

2005-07-19, 06:56

wow it worked! thanks dude

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-9153973-1296063?index=blended&field-keywords=%@

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=%@

eBay
http://search.ebay.com/%@

wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%@

a9
http://a9.com/?q=%@

Last edited by usurp : 2005-07-19 at 08:45.