Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Satellite Radio

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Satellite Radio
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-04-17, 17:50

I have Sirius XM satellite radio in my car. I've had it for a while, but only have channels that cover "news, talk and sports." I generally only listen to CNN (Channel 115), BBC World Service (Channel 118), and I think C-Span (Channel 119?).

I listened to part of a preview the other day that mentioned Book Radio on channel 80, but I've never listened to it yet.

I can't find my original list of channels for news and talk, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good XM satellite news or talk channels besides the ones I mentioned above.

I got satellite radio because when I travel, or when I'm in the mountains, my regular radio loses reception, and I wanted to have something to listen to, to keep me from falling asleep while I'm driving late at night. I do sometimes have audiobooks with me, but not always.

I have no idea if any of you guys have ever had satellite radio, but I thought I'd ask for recommendations just in case. Like I said, I only signed up for channels that cover news, talk and sports, so nothing out of those categories is available to me. Thanks for any replies.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-04-17, 18:25

I've had satellite XM in my truck for almost 5 years now. I listen to the 80s, 90s, and 00-09 channels a lot. I also listen to Howard Stern and a lot of sports channels. Lately though, I've been listening to more podcasts then anything. I have a pretty regular schedule of around 10 podcasts that I listen to daily whether I'm driving or at the office.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-04-18, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I've had satellite XM in my truck for almost 5 years now. I listen to the 80s, 90s, and 00-09 channels a lot. I also listen to Howard Stern and a lot of sports channels. Lately though, I've been listening to more podcasts then anything. I have a pretty regular schedule of around 10 podcasts that I listen to daily whether I'm driving or at the office.
So, it sounds like you subscribe to all the channels that are available if you have Howard Stern, because he's part of the premiere channels option.

Have you ever had trouble with the XM customer service and billing departments? Whenever I talk to them by phone, I get different answers if I talk to two different people. Sometimes they'll tell me I'm signed up for channels I haven't subscribed to, and they'll tell me different amounts that I owe.

I pay for one year in advance, so I make just one payment per year, but somehow they manage to make even one payment confusing. Have you set your subscription up on an automatic payment plan, so that you don't ever have weird billing problems cropping up? Just wondering.

I haven't done an auto-pay plan with them because frankly I don't trust them with access to my credit card number - after all the mistakes and confusions I've encountered when I talk with them in person. *sigh*
Quagmire
meh

2013-04-18, 15:49

I listen to MLB Network Radio( Channel 89) plus the game channels( 176-190 I believe).

If I am driving and stuck in traffic, the traffic channels.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2013-08-15, 17:57

For people who have satellite radio, SiriusXMPR (channel 121) has the National Public Radio program "Car Talk" - with Click and Clack - broadcast six hours per day on weekdays.

It's three programs from the "Car Talk" archives (from the 1990s, say) broadcast in the afternoon, and then the same three programs repeated later in the evening of that same day.

I discovered this programming about 7 weeks ago, just by working my way up the dial. In the Eastern time zone, the first hour starts at 3pm and ends at 6pm. Then the repeat schedule starts at 9pm and ends at midnight - afaik.

In the Pacific time zone, it starts at noon, ends at 3pm. Then repeat starts at 6pm and ends at 9pm.

Since Click and Clack announced that they were going to retire this year from their weekly NPR gig, I'm so glad that programs from the archives are being broadcast *somewhere*. And six hours per day, too! I would keep my subscription to satellite radio for this programming alone.

Last edited by Windswept : 2013-08-15 at 18:51.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-08-15, 18:23

Howard is about the only thing I listened to when I had Sirius. I canceled my subs and probably won't be back since he's retiring soonish (right?).