User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Powerbook Ultra

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook Ultra
tobes

2005-02-24, 17:14

I came across a new Powerbook variant today: the London Apple Store is selling a 15" Powerbook with 100GB HDD, 512MB RAM and 128MB VRAM as a standard product, rather than as a BTO. They call it the "Powerbook Ultra", the great bit is you get the fully loaded system without having the downside (ie problems returning duff units) of a BTO system.

I guess this may have been avaialble in the US for a while, but it's new over here.

Tobes

PS - I liked it so much I bought one
PPS - Better still, when the first one out of the box had a blown pixel, I just made them get another one
PPPS - The second one also had a blown pixel
PPPPS - The third one had trackpad problems
PPPPPS - But the fourth one worked fine! So that's saved me three returned courier boxes...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-24, 18:43

Way to stick it to 'em. I've been saying for a couple years now that Apple's QA has gone into the toilet. They make all these nice elegant designs with decent parts and then forget to actually test the quality before they box 'em up. I wager it's the people working on the assembly line that more than any other single factor, causes the problems whether you're talking about ACD's laptops or whatever.

Maybe they need to automate more. Spend some of that dough on more advanced production lines.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-24, 19:17

PB Ultra - nice initiative/promo by the London Apple store. And, of course, a great benefit to the end user if they need to return the item 3 times! Obviously it worked out well for you (which is great ) - but, as Moogs says, the QA is pathetic.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-24, 19:30

Yah... QA on Apple's side sucks... trust me...
FallenFromTheTree

2005-02-25, 16:53

Sounds to me like the safest policy is to take delivery of your purchase at
the Apple store forcing them to boot up and test your unit before you leave the store.

I hope everyone understands CLEARLY that you have a 14 day , no questions asked return policy on all Apple purchases.

BTW how well do you think Apple stock will do if the public starts writing
those wall street analysts informing them of how badly Apple quality has gone down the tubes?

This kind of information is good to hear before I drop my next $3000 into a
new Apple workstation.
I may be running in the comparative dark ages with my 1998 300Mhz G3 tower, but this machine has never once given me a problem and still works
flawlessly today.

Apple may still have the best overall quality of design but charging a considerable premium for faulty products is just plain inexcusable.

If your local Apple store fails to replace your purchase within that first
14 day grace period, you may want to inform the store manager that
it only costs a private citizen $20-$50 to file a small claims suite at the local courthouse.
tobes

2005-02-25, 17:42

To their credit: they found me a quiet corner of the genius bar and sat with me until I finally got to the machine I was happy with. No questions asked, no quibbles, no griping. The staff seemed unaware of any 2005 quality issues (bear in mind we get everything a month after the US, so maybe you guys got all the duff kit).

I'm very happy with my new toy
leod

2005-02-25, 19:49

Never heard of,or seen, a Powerbook Ultra here in the states. Its exactly what I want to purchase, and would love to be able to just walk into the local Apple store and get it. Anyone seen this in the states?