User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS 12
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2018-09-17, 14:56

So, for those of us stuck on outmoded notchless technology, we still get iOS12, available right now. NOW. DROP EVERYTHING AND INSTALL.

The Screen Time is the most interesting feature to me. Right now I'm not setting any limits, but I will be viewing the data with interest and maybe start setting some limits for myself and my daughter once I understand where we're starting from.

What else is good in iOS12?
chinesebear

2018-09-17, 20:27

I'm a bit disappointed that my iPhone 6 doesn't get the measure app. I'm assuming it's only for a 7 and above? I can't find any documentation for it, but that's one thing I'd love to be an easy feature on my phone. Unless I'm missing something about it and am just blind to it (I did do a search for it on the phone).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-09-18, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
What else is good in iOS12?
Craig didn't lie about performance improvements. It breathed new life into my iPad mini 2, which is getting rather old but lags a lot less in 12. (ars also did testing on this.)

For my iPhone 8, it isn't that big a deal. Stuff like password autofill improvements is nice.

For developer folks like me, it's also nice to know that they fixed issues in WebAssembly.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-09-18, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesebear View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that my iPhone 6 doesn't get the measure app. I'm assuming it's only for a 7 and above? I can't find any documentation for it, but that's one thing I'd love to be an easy feature on my phone. Unless I'm missing something about it and am just blind to it (I did do a search for it on the phone).
Yeah, Measure is built on ARKit. As far as I can tell, that's A9 and up, i.e. 6S.

(Honestly, I haven't found Measure to work that reliably. Still feels more like a tech demo and less like a real-world useful tool. The basketball demo they did was interesting, though.)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2018-09-18, 18:44

My 6s does feel snappier, and they managed to free up some storage space too, which was nice for those of us still on 16GB devices.
chucker

2018-09-18, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
My 6s does feel snappier, and they managed to free up some storage space too, which was nice for those of us still on 16GB devices.
Yeah, I'm afraid upgrading iOS on low-free space devices is still a user-hostile mess.

They've made improvements in 11 (such as offloading), but I feel they need to make the system more modular.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2018-09-18, 22:32

I can relate to that, only it was almost worse. I had space on the phone, over 1GB, it just kept saying installer unverified or something along those lines. So time to try with iTunes. Now, even with fully up to date iTunes and Mac OS 11.4, it wanted to update something in iTunes, or Mac OS, or the phone (wouldn’t tell me which), then it downloaded something and said,”iTunes cannot be running during this installation”. iTunes closes, installs something then nothing. Had to manually relaunch iTunes to proceed with the update. The entire process took 30 minutes from when this all started to when iOS 12 was loaded on the iPhone. The iOS installer download and install time was less than 8 minutes of that.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-09-19, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesebear View Post
My SE got Measure. I guess SE is greater than 6... but smaller. Anyway, you aren't missing much. I tried it on a few things. It's just not accurate, which makes it... silly.

Ugh.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-09-20, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Craig didn't lie about performance improvements. It breathed new life into my iPad mini 2, which is getting rather old but lags a lot less in 12. (ars also did testing on this.)
I just updated my iPad Air 2 and it was feeling very sluggish to the point to where I didn’t use it much anymore, but iOS 12 has breathed new life into it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey