Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Rogers is a steaming pile of dogshit.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rogers is a steaming pile of dogshit.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-07-08, 19:35

Who else in Toronto and Vancouver has been fucked over a day ? Still no cellular voice, terrestrial internet , or 911 service here. Just sporadic texting and some cellular data. CRTC needs to do something about these guys.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-07-09, 08:50

Nope, switched to Freedom Mobile two years ago, screw Rogers. Was glad to hear Rogers wouldn’t be able to take over freedom as part of the Shaw purchase, but now it sounds like that might get blocked anyway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-09, 09:32

I was reading about this outage yesterday. Did they say what caused it? I didn't dig in but the lack of 911 stood out to me.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-09, 10:43

Rogers says rep won’t really say.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2050513987664

It was even things like debit payments, some bank transactions and such as well.

Last edited by PB PM : 2022-07-09 at 10:59.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-09, 15:12

Heh, that was a funny clip. We know nothing, we think we might know something... not a monopoly problem, it is a network problem.

Not monopoly ... end.

Really though, it wasn't the time or place for that VP to attempt to answer any questions about the Shaw deal.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-07-09, 22:53

Cable Internet and Television were out for me, though my cell phone is with the other monopoly. So I had options.

Never bundle everything with one telecom provider. Never, Never, Ever.
Never go completely cashless.

Apparently, they did it to themselves.

And have now broadcast to the entire planet that their network apparently has a single point of failure.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-07-10, 08:54

This. ^^^

Twice now I have had the misfortune of Roger’s network being down during a crisis in our family. The first time (last year) was in the very second day of my wife being placed on life support. Had it occurred just a day earlier, there is a good chance she would never have been placed - hospital phones were down, but they have some back-ups - however, two critical conversations between myself and hospital might not have happened that would likely had seen her directed (under provincial emergency measures) to a hospital that could have done absolutely nothing for her. That day without updates was absolute hell.

Friday morning their disastrous timing struck again, though not of life and death consequences to me, it caused serious problems for a close family member, and I spent two days scrambling across the GTA to arrange critical supports. I can only imagine what 911-failure related losses may have occurred.

For a year I’ve been saying we need to at least get a pay as you go cellphone on a different carrier as a back-up, but I think I’m dropping as many Rogers services as I can, just on principle.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-10, 17:10

It just blows my mind that a company the size of Rogers doesn't have a full on backup system to prevent such failures. All they have to do is keep an older system online when they are making such hardware upgrades, sure it won't be full power of a new system, but better than nothing at all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-10, 17:20

Actually, for a company of its magnitude it should be rolling full power/service secondary all the time. Then, for good measure a tertiary option should be present. They aren't some small provider, there really is no excuse.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-11, 00:10

It’s typical of some of the big service provides here to do as little as possible, charging the highest rates in the western world, while constantly begging for public funding to pay for infrastructure. They are double dippers, to the max, all while setting profit records, almost every quarter.

The CRTC (regulator), which was talked about earlier, does nothing because everyone on the board is a former executive from the big companies. Only they understand the industry after all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 07:42

I feel like I should be surprised to read that... but I'm not at all.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-07-11, 15:01

This becomes a problem when regulatory bodies get a little too cozy with industry, and it seem to happen a lot... I think of power utilities, finance, and insurance industries, and the many ways those players screw the consumer and demand our appreciation for their efforts...

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-09-08, 10:49

Canadian telcos reach an emergency service deal to preserve 911 and data roaming during outages:

https://www.cp24.com/news/major-telecoms-agree-to-emergency-outage-deal-minister-champagne-1.6059407

Sounds good, but it's voluntary as far as I can tell from early stories, and not regulatory ... leaves open the possibility that it's not quite pure window dressing but also won't be properly resourced, then, the next time it happens, they'll be some excuses about why their back-up cooperation plan failed...