User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Think Secret has their scoop on the September 12 event.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Think Secret has their scoop on the September 12 event.
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 13:08

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609sept12event.html

I'm kinda embarrassed, because when the rumors of a September 12 event started, I said (on another board) that there was no way it would happen because Apple had just cancelled their Paris keynote on the same day. Anyone know why Apple doesn't want to have a keynote in Paris? The iTMS copy protection thing, perhaps?

Anyway, they echo AppleInsider's claim of new iMacs with Merom and a 23" model. They also say that it's rumored (but not confirmed) that the new iMacs will be VESA-mount compatible, which suggests at least a small redesign, in keeping with the annual iMac "generations." The iMac is the new iPod.

Speaking of the iPod, they claim that we'll see the 2G iPod nano, and it'll be aluminum and colored, like the iPod mini. Weird...but it'll scratch less, I suppose. (Remember that Amazon has strangely begun taking pre-orders for the iPod mini.)

The iPod will see a capacity bump to 40GB/80GB, but it's not looking like we'll see a proper "6G" iPod here - I'm not sure what else they can add to the iPod in its current form, anyway. The iTunes Movie Store will launch alongside the more capacious iPods. Yay!

As for the touchscreen "true video" iPod, they claim that it's been pushed back into "early next year." Maybe Apple will resume their tradition of announcing a new iPod at MWSF.

No mention of the iPod shuffle. Maybe the iPod nano will drop in price even further, and the shuffle will se a price drop? I'm not sure I can imagine a screenless player with much more than 1GB in space, anyway.

I have a question: If I got a MacBook after September 12, would I be eligible to get a discount on the new iPods, or the old ones? If you remember, last year, they didn't let you get the new iPod nano (introduced at the very end of the event) for free. But at the same time, it sounds like they're going to upgrade the entire iPod line on the 12th. Are they going to expect all their stores to continue to sell all the older iPods for four days?

I'm hoping the iPod nano launch was a special case. If Apple didn't want people to buy the new iPods with the promo, they could have just scheduled the event a week later, after all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-04, 13:28

Current iMacs are VESA-compatible, aren't they? I know they used to be...did they lose that feature upon the Intel switch, with the more sealed-case design?

Maybe tomorrow will be official, via press release, notices of the Mac mini bumps, and maybe even the MacBook Pro? Since there's no complete stylistic overhaul, that's something that could easily be done via press release and updated on the store, leaving next week to the more exciting stuff of new iPod nanos, new 23" iMac HD and movie downloads?

Could be an exciting, interesting seven or so days...

And if they're going to keep a screenless shuffle around, I hope they drop it down another few bucks.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Current iMacs are VESA-compatible, aren't they? I know they used to be...did they lose that feature upon the Intel switch, with the more sealed-case design?
Correct - the square-ish, completely open-able original iMac G5s were VESA mount-compatible, but the thinner, curvier Rev. C iMac G5 and Intel iMac are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Maybe tomorrow will be official, via press release, notices of the Mac mini bumps, and maybe even the MacBook Pro? Since there's no complete stylistic overhaul, that's something that could easily be done via press release and updated on the store, leaving next week to the more exciting stuff of new iPod nanos, new 23" iMac HD and movie downloads?
Sounds good to me. Get the comparatively minor Mac mini and MacBook Pro bumps out of the way, leaving the event for the iMac, iPods, and iTunes 7 with movie store (sounds familiar?). Of course, if they want to be devious and keep us guessing, they won't upgrade the Mac mini and MacBook Pro until the week after the event, so we'd have no idea at all what they could possibly be cooking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscates2.0
And if they're going to keep a screenless shuffle around, I hope they drop it down another few bucks.
Yeah, I could see one lone $49 model (or, for now, a 512MB model for $49 and a 1GB model for $69). That would be the self-actualization of the iPod shuffle, so to speak - it would become what it was always meant to become: not a replacement for a "true" iPod, but an accessory to it. I'm upgrading from my iPod nano to a 30GB (hopefully 40GB) iPod, but I'll pick up an iPod shuffle, too, for times when I don't want to lug my comparatively massive iPod (with its comparatively fragile hard drive) around.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-04, 13:46

With all that stuff to announce I feel like they might bump laptops and the mini to merom tomorrow! That would be great IMHO!
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 13:50

80GB capacity would mean I actually finally get to own an iPod.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
80GB capacity would mean I actually finally get to own an iPod.

Yeah...I know some people with like 70GB of music, so they're waiting for the 80GB iPod.

And, thankfully, I think that 40/80GB iPods are pretty much a given. The drives have already been announced, and all that.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-09-04, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Correct - the square-ish, completely open-able original iMac G5s were VESA mount-compatible, but the thinner, curvier Rev. C iMac G5 and Intel iMac are not.

(...)
Perhaps we will see a re-flattening of the iMac case design to an even thinner form. Since rumours seem to suggest Apple is going to use Merom inside them. The current design was after all designed for the desktop class G5 and not a mobile CPU like Merom.

Such a design would look great on a wall.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-04, 14:43

I am caught in a iPod problem because i have almost outgrown my 40GB iPod but I really want the "true video" iPod so I don't know if I should wait or not! I wish they would just update it to the "true video iPod" already!
datapusher

2006-09-04, 14:54

i'm taking TS's predictions with a grain of salt.

i think at the very least at the media event we'll see the updated nanos or the new 23" iMac. but a pair of larger ipods? to quote Shania Twain, "That don't impress me much."

I'd be much happier with just a nano upgrade and nothing else. Not to say the 5g ipods won't get updated, but I think the 5G ipod has run it's course and i'd like to see a new ipod model in it's place before the end of the holiday season. With introduction of the movie store, in my opinion there is a need for a fully viewable, fully portable media device that should be attached to it. the ipod needs a bigger screen and better battery life. i'm not going to invest in portable media if it means that i have to strain to look at it. i for one do not need touch screen capabilities, lets just have a bigger screen.

archos and iriver are really tempting because they deal with more file formats and have more functions than the ipod does. i really want apple to make something for the Mac crowd that is the equivalent of such a device. i'm not sure if they ever will (how long has the ipod gone without FM radio support before it was tacked on?) but i hope that apple is in the neighborhood with those other players feature wise or i may have to invest elsewhere.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-04, 15:00

I think the problem with the larger screen and no touch screen is that the form factor will have to change radically. Where will they put the current click wheel if they switched to a 3 inch widescreen. That would be the entire front of the iPod; therefore, a touchscreen seems like, at least to me, the most logical way to implement controls and keep the attractive size of the current iPod. Putting the clickwheel on the back is another option but it would be difficult to operate because you wouldn't be using your thumb. I agree that they need to focus on releasing the update to the iPod around the holiday season more than just a capacity upgrade on the current iPod.

Last edited by macleod : 2006-09-04 at 15:32.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-04, 15:02

Quote:
Yeah...I know some people with like 70GB of music, so they're waiting for the 80GB iPod.

And, thankfully, I think that 40/80GB iPods are pretty much a given. The drives have already been announced, and all that.
Throw me into that group. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to cart my 250GB of music with me wherever I fancy
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-09-04, 15:03

I instead of all this watching movies on tiny screens, why not just make the iPod capable of video-output. Then you could hook it up to any TV (with an appropriate cable) and TV's are pretty much everywhere. Think of it as a portable DVR.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-09-04, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I instead of all this watching movies on tiny screens, why not just make the iPod capable of video-output. Then you could hook it up to any TV (with an appropriate cable) and TV's are pretty much everywhere. Think of it as a portable DVR.
Too many ports. Too much cable. Apple won't do it with the iPod while they're strictly intended for music - although I wouldn't be shocked to see some kind of output capability like that on the touch screen iPod, whenever that debuts.
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Where will they put the current click whell if they switched to a 3 inch widescreen. That would be the entire front of the iPod; therefore, a touchscreen seems like, at least to me, the most logical way to implement controls and keep the attractive size of the current iPod. Putting the clickwheel on the back is another option but it would be difficult to operate because you wouldn't be using your thumb.
I bet Johnathan Ive has been mulling over the same predicament...

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-04, 15:33

I sure hope they come up with something that will wow us and be easy to use then!
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-04, 15:34

I just want a black macbook with dedicated graphics. They don't even need to change anything else, I'd be perfectly happy and a half.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-04, 15:39

I'll second that! I would sell my current black one if they did the dedicated graphics and updated the processor to merom! I would love if they did that and added a backlight to the keyboard; however, I don't see ANY of that happening besides the merom update!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I think the problem with the larger screen and no touch screen is that the form factor will have to change radically. Where will they put the current click wheel if they switched to a 3 inch widescreen. That would be the entire front of the iPod; therefore, a touchscreen seems like, at least to me, the most logical way to implement controls and keep the attractive size of the current iPod. Putting the clickwheel on the back is another option but it would be difficult to operate because you wouldn't be using your thumb. I agree that they need to focus on releasing the update to the iPod around the holiday season more than just a capacity upgrade on the current iPod.
Actually, a 4" widescreen fits over the shape of the current iPod perfectly, and 4" would really be the smallest screen you could get on a "true" video player.

3" wouldn't be quite enough to differentiate it. The current iPod screen is what, 2.5"?

But all of your points make sense, even if you were an inch off. I'm in the touchscreen camp, too. People keep on making unnecessary (and un-Apple-ish) suggestions like "put the clickwheel on the back!" The clickwheel actually lends itself quite well to a touchscreen.

With a virtual clickwheel, the iPod could be exactly like a 5G iPod when oriented vertically, or it could function as a widescreen movie player when horizontal. It's an incredibly elegant design, and it would require no learning curve. So I'm not sure why people are coming up with suggestions like "lets not let users see their controls!" Honestly, even the worst designer knows better than that.

Jason
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 16:06

I'd just like gapless playback in iTunes!

</dreaming>
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-09-04, 16:11

Me want MacBook. Now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-04, 16:17

The MacBook is still fairly new, isn't it? I can easily see the iMac and MacBook Pro getting some attention in the coming seven or so days. But the MacBook? Maybe it'll wait until deeper autumn, right before the holiday shopping season?

I don't think it's perceived as neglected, lagging or in true need - timewise - of an update (except in the one area we all talk about, but that's not going to be addressed on a Rev. B anyway, so...).

But it's definitely time for an iMac and MacBook pro update!
datapusher

2006-09-04, 16:21

Quote:
Actually, a 4" widescreen fits over the shape of the current iPod perfectly, and 4" would really be the smallest screen you could get on a "true" video player.

3" wouldn't be quite enough to differentiate it. The current iPod screen is what, 2.5"?

But all of your points make sense, even if you were an inch off. I'm in the touchscreen camp, too. People keep on making unnecessary (and un-Apple-ish) suggestions like "put the clickwheel on the back!" The clickwheel actually lends itself quite well to a touchscreen.

With a virtual clickwheel, the iPod could be exactly like a 5G iPod when oriented vertically, or it could function as a widescreen movie player when horizontal. It's an incredibly elegant design, and it would require no learning curve. So I'm not sure why people are coming up with suggestions like "lets not let users see their controls!" Honestly, even the worst designer knows better than that.
a virtual clickwheel would be nice, but i think i would be more comfortable with a hardware input than a virtual one. what if i need to reboot my ipod because it's frozen? i think that's the only hurdle i see with this touch screen, it's also the only reason why i would prefer a hardware clickwheel. other than that, bring on the touch screen!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-04, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
Too many ports. Too much cable. Apple won't do it with the iPod while they're strictly intended for music - although I wouldn't be shocked to see some kind of output capability like that on the touch screen iPod, whenever that debuts.
Didn't you two notice that the current iPod can do this? You just need a t.v. with ports that'll accept an RCA input.
datapusher

2006-09-04, 16:26

also, are TV shows available in Europe?

i'm not exactly sure why the Movie Store would be an international announcement if there's the chance that it might only roll out for the US.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The MacBook is still fairly new, isn't it? I can easily see the iMac and MacBook Pro getting some attention in the coming seven or so days. But the MacBook? Maybe it'll wait until deeper autumn, right before the holiday shopping season?

I don't think it's perceived as neglected, lagging or in true need - timewise - of an update (except in the one area we all talk about, but that's not going to be addressed on a Rev. B anyway, so...).

But it's definitely time for an iMac and MacBook pro update!
Nobody noticed, but the MacBook Pro was updated the day the MacBook came out. So the MacBook Pro is already on Rev. B, and the MacBook is just as old as the MacBook Pro.

I still don't think we'll see a MacBook upgrade, simply because it's selling awesome already. But I would definitely love to see one. Apple owes me, after replacing my iMac two months after I bought it (and discontinuing it three months after I bought it - to the day). Harsh.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher View Post
a virtual clickwheel would be nice, but i think i would be more comfortable with a hardware input than a virtual one. what if i need to reboot my ipod because it's frozen? i think that's the only hurdle i see with this touch screen, it's also the only reason why i would prefer a hardware clickwheel. other than that, bring on the touch screen!
That's a good point - you'd need a physical on/off switch to turn it on in the first place. I imagine that'd just be like the current Hold switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher View Post
also, are TV shows available in Europe?

i'm not exactly sure why the Movie Store would be an international announcement if there's the chance that it might only roll out for the US.
That would be a good reason why Apple moved their keynote from France to the United States...

adougster

2006-09-04, 16:32

AppleInsider is talking about a video enabled Airport Express, to stream the movies to your TV. Pretty cool if you could stream your mac desktop as well as just the movies to any HiDef TV.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-09-04, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Didn't you two notice that the current iPod can do this? You just need a t.v. with ports that'll accept an RCA input.
Yep - I'm assuming he meant to indicate something like DVI.
datapusher

2006-09-04, 16:42

Quote:
That would be a good reason why Apple moved their keynote from France to the United States...
But they're still going to have a satellite feed in the UK Apple Store for press. Maybe they'll make their announcements and bid the UK feed farewell and then Steve will do his "oh, one more thing...who likes movies?"
neiltc13

2006-09-04, 16:45

So the list is:

iTunes Movie Store
Video Airport Express
iPod nano 2nd Generation
iPod 40GB + 60GB
iMac 23"
Cinema iSight Displays

Somehow, I don't think all of these products are going to be announced on one day. One or more of these websites must be wrong.

Also, I'm sick of Apple going all out in the US and releasing the same products here in the UK but minus their killer functionality. Where the hell are our TV shows?!

All I want for September 12thmas is iTunes to be renamed (iMedia or something) and have Videos and Music completely separated.