Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Good Stuff

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Good Stuff
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-26, 11:31

This past week my car died, my computer got doused, and this morning the little TV we use the most bought the farm and needs replacing.

But I'm still in a great mood. My brain chemistry is just right at present and I'd like to capture that for the future. So unless we already have a "what's going right in your life right now" thread, I'd like to start one now.

Here goes.

We bought a recliner from Rooms to Go about six weeks ago and today is the delivery day. They sent me a tracking site, have been texting me updates on the arrival time, and just called me. In 15 minutes I'll have a new chair. Other companies could learn from this company!

What's good in your world?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2022-09-26, 12:08

Pretty much the same! We had some leather couches that, while nice at the time we bought them 8-10 years ago, started to feel dark and bloaty this past year. So we found a new set that's more mid-cen-mod in a light gray color, and they were delivered Friday. Really changes that room and gives it a nice lighter feel. Picked up a handful of throw pillows yesterday and it's all smiles.

* since we're mentioning great company experiences, these are from Article, and they were super communicative with emails and texts right up to the truck pulling up 8am Friday morning. Free shipping too. Would recommend.

So it goes.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-26, 12:47

Life's great over here. Wife and I are in the middle of building our first home together and while everything has gone WAY over budget, we are doing everything we want. House is framed and they got the roof on last week. We got doors and windows. Next step is the plumbing.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-26, 13:13

We just finished the first summer of renting out our shore house, which ended up making us over $75k, which was more than enough cover the mortgage on that house, and the mortgage on the other house we bought in CT. We closed on two houses in about 9 months, so that was a lot.

Working on getting a 1923 colonial updated at the moment. This house has 4 bedrooms with a huge attic and basement, but only one small bathroom and a kitchen that hasn't been updated in at least 75 years. It's a mess. So that's where our focus is at the moment. It's a fun process overall renovating and updating houses, but if you think you know how much it would cost to add air conditioning and updated heating to a 100 year old house, double what you think.

Our 3 year old started 3K this month, so that's been fun to see her entering the world finally. She's pretty much a Covid kid, so this is her first extended experience with other kids. She's a little behind on her speech development, but is so far ahead in so many areas. Covid really screwed an entire generation of development for kids.

We're also getting ready for our first trip in 3 years in December. We're agent go to Europe for 3 weeks and visit a bunch of Christmas markets. I'm definitely super excited for that.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
¡Damned!

2022-09-26, 14:26

I tightened the screws on all the door hinges in the house yesterday, so I definitely had a couple of beers last night to celebrate that accomplishment.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-09-26, 14:38

I got a puppy!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-26, 14:47

Hell yeah good vibes thread!

Tomorrow morning I'm (hopefully) getting my braces off after 4 years and 6 months. I had to permanently lose two adult teeth in the process, and I've stabbed or sliced the insides of my cheeks more times than I could count (and those tender spots take forever to heal). I'm so ready and excited that I called my dentist to bump up my regular examination and cleaning by a whole month to tomorrow afternoon so that I can enjoy the maximum impact of this change.

Despite the massive inconvenience and disruption of all the things thanks to covid, since we've been staying more at home, masking in public spaces, and rigorously adhering to proper hygiene habits, my wife and I have been surprisingly healthy. I can't even remember the last time either of us was proper "sick" like with a cold or flu. It was definitely well before we all started reacting to the pandemic news in April 2020. I used to get bad sick at least once a year, like incapacitated, bed-ridden, sweats and chills, and feeling on the brink of death. Not in the last couple years!

The seasonal weather is finally turning nice where I live in North Carolina. The last few days, we've finally seen highs in just the low 70s F/ 20s C. The summer was kind of brutal here. My wife and I enjoyed taking evening walks, but we forfeited them due to weather… until last week. We're relieved that autumn has returned, mosquitos are settling down, and spooky season is just around the corner. After-dinner neighborhood walks are back on the menu!

Over the weekend I replaced our old rusted-shut garbage disposal. No professional help needed! Just a replacement unit, a YouTube video, and a lot of elbow grease. It was my first time doing major work under the sink like that, and I'm proud to add one more notch to my "homeowner DIY" belt.

Feels good, man.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-26, 14:53

The feeling of fall is in the air, average daily temperatures finally fell below 85+F this last week. Blew leaves out of the gutters after the first meaningful wind of the season. Mowed the lawn for the first time since the middle of August, cause it’s that dry. End of August marked the first anniversary of owning my own business, and other than the exodus of young people from the region making it impossible to hire anyone who can work legally, it’s going well.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-09-26, 16:13

+1 love Autumn in Ontario. A little cool, but warm when the sun hits. Had a couple of rainy days, but the last couple of weeks have been nice and the leaves have just started turning.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-09-27, 07:27

Just wrapping up a 1 week holiday with the family on the Sunshine Coast. First all year for me - needed it. We are returning tomorrow and then I’m spending a long weekend away with a group of old school friends… a first for us, really looking forward to that.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-27, 11:02

October 7 heading out for 1.5 weeks of family vacation in Bend, Oregon. Counting down the seconds!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-27, 14:51

Nice, such a beautiful area.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2022-10-03, 22:59

Leaving 10/6 for a trip to Toronto for an LGBTQ+ hockey tournament. Been 4 years since I was last able to go to my favorite place.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-10-04, 07:02

That sounds awesome and hilarious at the same time. Spoken as the worst hockey player ever...