User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

scared to purchase in fear of dead pixels...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
scared to purchase in fear of dead pixels...
jbsengineer

2006-02-15, 22:08

I'm thinking about a purchase of a MacBook Pro and a ACD 20" or 23". But the only hitch I have is that I'm scared of dead pixels. They BOTHER the HELL out of me. And I always seem to get them. I had a bad experience with a 12" powerbook last fall.

I guess my question is what is everyone's experience with the ACD's or the powerbook 15" displays and dead pixels? I know Apple's policy on dead pixels and I think it sucks. Buying a $1300 screen and having a dead pixel affecting my graphics work really bothers me.

I know, i'm a baby. but I can't help it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-02-15, 22:10

Can't you go into an Apple store? That way you'd be able to look at the screens before hand.
noah

2006-02-15, 22:14

He couldnt look at the screen of the one he ends up buying. I have a 12" pbook and my bro has a 15" pbook and neither of us have any dead pixels.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-15, 22:17

Someone also posted here much much earlier that they fixed some dead pixel by massaging it....

Yep, over there- ancient thread of dead pixel
jbsengineer

2006-02-15, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey
Can't you go into an Apple store? That way you'd be able to look at the screens before hand.
i doubt they will let me filter through the screens until i find the perfect one,
jbsengineer

2006-02-15, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Someone also posted here much much earlier that they fixed some dead pixel by massaging it....
i've done that to try to fix my past dead pixel problems. i have also try a little quicktime video that flashes incredibly fast through the colors trying to revive the pixel (never worked for me).
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-15, 22:19

No, but you can return it immediately (I believe even without that restocking fee hit if you return in less than three days; but someone needs to confirm that)
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-15, 22:29

In Asia they actually have test cards (RED - GREEN - BLUE - PATTERN - TEXT) which they put up on any LCD panel or laptop before you leave the store..

I think it's a great idea. They have a clean room, where they unpack your kit (I don't like that bit myself as I like to be the first to open things) and then set it up and let you check it over. This takes about 5 minutes. You must then sign a document to say you have accepted and tested the equipment. Then you can leave the store with it.

Obviously this does not affect any standard warranties, but it enables to store to protect itself from bogus claims when people drop stuff on the way home etc. and also protect you from getting a dud.

For the record. I have never had a dead pixel on anything 17" and under from Apple. I got one dead pixel in the lower righr corner of my 20" Cinema Display, which actually came after about a month of use. I have not been able to massage that out, but only really see it on the rare occasion I have a solid block of colour in that area of the screen.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Mr Ten

2006-02-16, 00:35

my friend's friend bought a 23" acd and it has one dead pixel after 3 months of use and no discoloration or shading stripes near the edges or offset middle.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-02-16, 01:20

I think your best bet would be to go through a reseller that didn't mind opening the products for you in the store for inspection before you left with them. Apple store might get their panties in a twist if you try this (I'm not sure why exactly or if its legal to deny someone inspecting a product before purchase) but I doubt your local Apple resller would have a problem pulling out the laptop and monitor, powering it on, and checking them out before you walked away with them.

You might also want to prepare your own test pattern for checking the monitors and bring it along with you.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-16, 02:19

When I purchased an iMac G5 from an Apple Retail Store I had the manager guarantee me a dead pixel free LCD. He said they would exchange it if there was even one. Seems like it was a personal decision on his behalf since I specifically asked though.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-16, 02:51

I had two dead pixels when I bought my Powerbook. I don't have any now. I don't know how or why they went away, but they did.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-16, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
No, but you can return it immediately (I believe even without that restocking fee hit if you return in less than three days; but someone needs to confirm that)
When my cousin bought his PowerBook, we made sure to open it up in the store right after we bought it. IIRC you still have to pay the restocking fee if you return it (it's already opened), but it's (obviously) still under warranty and they can repair it a lot faster if you're still there when you find out there's a problem.