User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Permanent Icon for Removable Media

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Permanent Icon for Removable Media
akrieg

2006-04-09, 07:18

I have set a custom icon for my flash drive (Corsair 1GB FlashVoyager), but the icon does not show up when connected to other computers. Is there a way to embed the icon in the flash drive so it always has the icon (like on a program CD)?
trevo

2006-04-09, 11:54

As far as I know....... No, or at least not easily.

However I don't see why it couldn't be done, I always use custom icons for my discs burnt through toast.

Best advice I can give is to apply the icon you want for your drive through CandyBar or an app alike. http://www.panic.com/candybar/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-09, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrieg
I have set a custom icon for my flash drive (Corsair 1GB FlashVoyager), but the icon does not show up when connected to other computers. Is there a way to embed the icon in the flash drive so it always has the icon (like on a program CD)?
Is it formatted using HFS+?
trevo

2006-04-09, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Is it formatted using HFS+?
If it is, does that mean you can do it? I just realised my iPod has an icon all to it's self!

So spill chucker, hows it done?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-09, 12:20

Well, it's not unlikely that his USB stick is formatted in FAT32, in which case the icon probably doesn't get stored.

I have no means of confirming this, however.

Is the volume name all upper case, even when you tried to write it in varied or lower case?
akrieg

2006-04-09, 13:32

I don't know how it's formatted, but yes, the name is always in caps. I was wondering why that was...

thanks
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-09, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Well, it's not unlikely that his USB stick is formatted in FAT32, in which case the icon probably doesn't get stored.

I have no means of confirming this, however.
Correct. FAT32 partitions will not store the icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrieg
I don't know how it's formatted
In the Finder, select the drive icon and choose File -> Get Info. HFS+ drives will say "Mac OS Extended".

Before you reformat, though, note that despite FAT32's flaws, it's currently the only format that can both be read and written by Mac OS X and Windows. NTFS can be read but not written by Mac OS X; HFS+ can not even be read by Windows (without purchasing additional software). So, if cross-platform compatibility is any concern, you're stuck with FAT32.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
akrieg

2006-04-09, 14:59

It's formatted as MS-DOS File System (FAT16). Should I change it to MacOS Extended (which one) and, if I do, will I lose PC compatibility?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-09, 15:03

See my above post.