Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AT&T Rate Plan with iPhone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AT&T Rate Plan with iPhone?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
crapola5

2007-06-20, 21:57

Hi all, I apologize if this has been mentioned already in previous threads. I saw two that had this same topic, but both had been somewhat old and had died off without many answers.

Let me explain my situation a bit. I signed up with TMobile about 23 days ago, and recently I decided that I should probably just go all out and buy the iphone since I'm getting a new mp3 player soon. I have about 7 days to cancel my 2 year contract with them and get out of it fee-free. The problem is that the iPhone comes out in TEN days. I need some info on the rate plans before I can buy it, and as far as I know, not much is known about the rate plan.

I called 3 separate AT&T stores for more info on the iPhone and the plans. All three told me something completely different. The first store told me that the iphone would come with a minimum plan that would cost $40 a month + a data service that would be forced on you. She also said that if you were to buy the phone separately at the Apple store, you wouldn't need to get the data plan. The second told me that the iPhone would come with a minimum plan of $60 + a data service that he guessed would be around $40 (come out to a lovely $100 a month). The third told me that the minimum would be a $40 plan + a data service that they weren't sure how much it would cost.

The crazy thing is that everyone talked about the minimum plan offered with complete confidence. There was no hesitation or doubt about the minimum plan that would be offered. I'm a college student with ubiquitous internet access around campus, so the last thing I need is some expensive data plan. Also, my parents will be paying (but I'm paying for the phone) for the monthly fees, and they are NOT interested in paying for more than probably $50 a month or so.

So my question is this: does anyone know what the minimum plan is that we can get with the iphone? Is the data service forced on us? Any idea at all on how much the data service will cost (like rumors, whatever)?

Thanks!
crapola5

2007-06-21, 00:12

Hey sorry about this, I was able to find the answer at another site:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/19/...es-sales-info/

No one knows, and there are rumors that more will be revealed this Friday. All I know is that it better be before the 29th!
Mr Ten

2007-06-21, 00:34

my blackberry plan is 60 for 900 minutes, then i pay an extra 55 for 1500 texts and unlimited data, 120 total after taxes and all, i think that's a decent deal considering how much i use my phone, a lot, hundreds of emails a day. i hope the iphone is just as seamless to use, i think it should be even quicker really, and i've been happy enough with cingular to not ditch them, had them for 10 years since it was pac bell.

the iphone is pointless without a data plan, expect to pay 100 a month to use all its features, otherwise, just using it as a phone will cost you a minimum of 40 anyways and not utilizing things like youtube and all web functions make it just a flashy phone with no function. i'm going to use mine like crazy.
Jerman

2007-06-21, 00:44

My guess is that the data plan will be 40 a month, which is in line with what they charge for any phone that has a full qwerty keyboard, or that has a lot of functionality. My "smartphone" (which I am SO ready to ditch) is only 20/month, which I think is pretty reasonable. But 40 a month is pretty expensive, imo, for an edge speed connection.
crapola5

2007-06-21, 01:15

40 a month just for data? then add another 40 for phone service?

My point was that in my case, I wouldn't need the data plan since I have internet all over campus. I'd be able to have (high speed) internet on my phone without having to pay for anything. Forcing a data plan would make sense for a lot of people, but not me

Some people disagreed on whether the rumors that AT&T was going to offer a "special" data plan with the iPhone was good thing or a bad thing. If it was a good thing, I'd hope that it would at least be as cheap as the cheapest plan out there. I'm not sure what that would be, but I do know that TMobile offers $30 a month for unlimited internet usage with blackberries.
Jerman

2007-06-21, 01:47

I sure do hope they allow people to not buy an internet plan with the phone. Perhaps you could buy the phone and then cancel the internet plan? When I bought my smartphone, that was something they said I could do if I really wanted, so perhaps this will indeed extend to the iPhone...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-21, 05:56

I made this point earlier about "requiring" plans on a GSM system - they can't reasonably do that. SIM cards are swapped among phones. In this case, I might have an old shit GSM phone I use when going out that I'd rather take. Maybe I use that phone *most* of the time. Why would I be expected to pay for a data plan on a phone that doesn't even have a web browser? I could see them making you sign up for a data plan, but without significant reworking of their system it should be easy to get out.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-21, 11:05

According to an AI report today, AT&T will indeed have "special" rate plans for iPhone, but they won't be announced until June 29.

That tells me the plans are going to be on the high $$ side, if not flat-out price-gouging. Otherwise, why wouldn't the plans be used as one more incentive to get into an AT&T store and buy one of these things? It appears AT&T wants people to be standing in line when they find out the price. Not good.
Mr Ten

2007-06-21, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerman View Post
I sure do hope they allow people to not buy an internet plan with the phone. Perhaps you could buy the phone and then cancel the internet plan? When I bought my smartphone, that was something they said I could do if I really wanted, so perhaps this will indeed extend to the iPhone...
i imagine you could, but the phone would need an option to turn off or disable some active widgets too so your internet isn't constantly being used, like weather and such, right?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-06-21, 14:26

Seems kinda silly to wait to announce rate plans on June 29. I mean, I can just see the throngs of people who stand in line to buy an iPhone, then realizing word goes through the crowd that, oh yeah, I have to buy a rate plan. I'm not kidding. People will forget this. Then you have all those people going "awwwwww!" and trying to squeeze their way out of the line, making life difficult for everyone else who are still going to buy one. What a logistical nightmare!

datapusher

2007-06-21, 14:50

The thing i've learned about Apple from my standpoint is if they're collaborating with a company to offer a product to consumers, no matter how much the other company wants to price gouge, Apple tends to fight for the fair price. I think this data plan in the long run will be no different. While i think it will be along the same lines as AT&T's existing unlimited data plan which is quite a bit if this is your first voyage into the world of Smartphones.

The data plan is going to be like many people have said, "the dealbreaker". I don't think Apple is going to put this much energy and marketing behind a product only to trip right at the finish line over a heavily inflated data plan. Also, the Data plan might end up less expensive than other smartphones because the iPhone has no mms so you don't have to pay for a seperate amount of text messages unless i'm wrong somehow.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-21, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
According to an AI report today, AT&T will indeed have "special" rate plans for iPhone, but they won't be announced until June 29.

That tells me the plans are going to be on the high $$ side, if not flat-out price-gouging. Otherwise, why wouldn't the plans be used as one more incentive to get into an AT&T store and buy one of these things? It appears AT&T wants people to be standing in line when they find out the price. Not good.
I'll see your rumor and raise you one. Rate to be released by Monday. One week left.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-22, 00:09

I was just about to post that AI has updated their report by quoting yet another AT&T spokesman/official as saying the iPhone data plan will be announced in advance and that it "won't be exotic," whatever that means.

When two high-level AT&T officials contradict each other on the same day, I'm starting to wonder how much of this is being leaked and how much is AT&T/Apple simply flying by the seat of their pants. Otherwise, a lot of these contradictory news bits seem rather inexplicable. I mean, how can two heads-of-division not have the same info.?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-22, 01:26

I think I asked this a long time ago (and someone above in this very thread hit on it): if this thing has Wi-Fi, aren't we able to get online at any public wireless hotspot without any "data plan" stuff factoring in?

Am I correct in assuming that the data plan thingie is for connecting online via another method, that you could do anywhere there wasn't a Wi-Fi wireless hotspot?

It's sort of a dual-method online-getter? Wi-Fi in the places that have it, and then you connect through the phone network itself (structured, fee-based data plan) that lets you get online everywhere?

Is that the basic gist of it, or do I have it all wrong and backwards?

I ask because everywhere I work, play and, come fall, go to school, is covered by Wi-Fi (home, Panera, downtown riverpark where I like to spend time, various little cafes, coffee joints and pubs around town and large parts of the UTC campus. That would just be a matter of the phone recognizing that Wi-Fi signal, then you launch Safari or Mail and do your thing...it's online, just like a MacBook or any other 802.11* Mac would be?

When I got my phone three years ago, I had to initially get the Internet data thing ($25, I believe). But I was told by the clerk to just call (or go online) and remove it. I did. Maybe that'll be the same for this, and most people will just hop on via Wi-Fi hotspots?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-06-22, 01:38

You have the basic gist of it. Personally, I'd like to see an optional data plan... I think that's what most people want.

Of course, AT&T and Apple (since they have a revenue-sharing agreement of some form with AT&T) would like to get as much money out of the consumer as possible. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to force a data plan along with it.

If they have any sense and want to move the product, they'll either make the data plan optional, or make it reasonable (i.e. $60 total for voice+data).
datapusher

2007-06-22, 11:17

According to MacRumors, the Early Termination Fee on an iPhone contract with AT&T is $175. that's on par with Verizon's ETF, but up from AT&T/Cingular and Sprint's $150 Early Term fee. It's still not as steep as T-Mobile's $200 ETF.

I guess we're that much closer to knowing the data plan on this phone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-22, 11:17

Exactly.

And, frankly, they really should be a bit more open and forthcoming with this kind of shit. Do they really expect people to line up by the hundreds or whatever, not knowing plan/price specifics?

I'm really hoping that over the next six or so days, they make some things crystal clear.

People shouldn't be learning how much they have to lay out per month, or sign up for or commit to, while waiting in line the Apple or AT&T store next Friday.

It's tough enough to go in there and lay down $500-600 on a phone. Don't "surprise" me and beat me over the head with a bunch of mandatory, required plans on the day-of...people can't make smart decisions (Apple and AT&T are counting on people, once having been in line for a while, to just "suck it up" and sign up for whatever, I guess, and not argue or balk).

Devious.

datapusher

2007-06-22, 12:05

i wonder who's protecting this information, Apple or AT&T?

i'm hoping it's more of a surprise than it is a shock when it's compared to the data plans that are available. i don't see the logic in AT&T charging a heftier data plan for EDGE iPhone users compared to the standard fare they offer for 3G Blackjack users. i don't care for brand exploitation and if they charge a penny higher than that's what it will be and i'll refuse to invest in the iPhone until that's changed. it's not like the iPhone is downloading movies directly from the iTMS.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-06-22, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
... and how much is AT&T/Apple simply flying by the seat of their pants...
I think apple007 has hit on the right answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher View Post
i wonder who's protecting this information, Apple or AT&T?
My guess is, there is no information to protect yet. It really feels like the two companies just haven't figured out what they're doing. "Uh, we'll let you know on Monday, after we pull a couple of all-nighters to figure it out ourselves!"

Ugh.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-06-22, 13:15

I think the iPhone plan will be cheaper. I mean, AT&T doesn't have to recoup the price of a subsidized phone. Think of it as the new Kodak printers where they have expensive printers but cheap cartridges as opposed to HP printers.

Maybe that's the iPhones secret.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
datapusher

2007-06-22, 13:29

wouldn't it be awesome if the data plan was 19.99 for unlimited data? people would go nuts for that.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 14:03

Hmm... Looks like they're locked themselves into a no-win situation. No matter what they do, they'll have a throng storming the store.
crapola5

2007-06-22, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I think apple007 has hit on the right answer.

My guess is, there is no information to protect yet. It really feels like the two companies just haven't figured out what they're doing. "Uh, we'll let you know on Monday, after we pull a couple of all-nighters to figure it out ourselves!"

Interesting idea, although I'm not so sure if it would be feasible to get it out in a week without even knowing what plans will go with it. That and also I can't see Apple deciding to partner with AT&T without even knowing what plans would be packed with it. My guess is that they have figured something out back when apple first decided to partner with them and threw it into the contract with the AT&T exclusivity. Maybe it'll be lower? Man, if it's CHEAPER than a lot of the other plans out there, and if data plans are optional, this thing would be insane.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-22, 20:23

Don't be stupid, guys. These are two multi-billion dollar companies rolling out the biggest product in recent history. They know what they are doing. "Flying by the seat of their pants" would be opening themselves up for shareholder revolts and lawsuits.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 21:03

How odd.

Some people has mentioned that it is availabe only at AT & T store or Apple store, but this newspaper claims that Best Buy will be selling iPhone next Monday.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-22, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
How odd.

Some people has mentioned that it is availabe only at AT & T store or Apple store, but this newspaper claims that Best Buy will be selling iPhone next Monday.
Well, we *know* that's not true. There's not a whole lot known about the iPhone launch, but we at least know where to buy it.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 21:18

I don't doubt it. It's just little strange to see employees claiming that they will have iPhone come 29th. I've worked retail, and they would have to know in advance what was coming to their store, and at this point, they would have already known what's going to be on the trailer next week.

If they're fibbing, they're basically shooting themselves in the foot.

It's possible they were misinformed, but like I said earlier, this is quite odd.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-22, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I don't doubt it. It's just little strange to see employees claiming that they will have iPhone come 29th. I've worked retail, and they would have to know in advance what was coming to their store, and at this point, they would have already known what's going to be on the trailer next week.

If they're fibbing, they're basically shooting themselves in the foot.

It's possible they were misinformed, but like I said earlier, this is quite odd.
Best Buy employees know nothing about anything. I swear they *suck* the knowledge out of their heads when they start working there.
apple007
BANNED

2007-06-22, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Don't be stupid, guys. These are two multi-billion dollar companies rolling out the biggest product in recent history. They know what they are doing. "Flying by the seat of their pants" would be opening themselves up for shareholder revolts and lawsuits.
Well, then how do you explain two different AT&T heads-of-division saying completely contradictory things on the same day about something as important as the announce date for iPhone's data plan?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-22, 22:28

Torifile- Well, they're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they don't deliver. I'll see what tunes they're going to sing come Monday.

Apple007-Just because two bigwigs said something a bit differently doesn't mean they've contradicted each other.

It's very possible that one was talking about that and other was about this, and after the fact, it'll make sense. (But in a odd way. ) One said it will be a special rate for iPhone, while another said it won't be exotic. This can be easily reconciled if we say that exotic doesn't necessarily mean special but rather more like 'weird'. Pesto, no contradiction.

Last edited by Banana : 2007-06-22 at 22:40.