User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Amy Winehouse: scary, but not dead yet! Edit: found dead 2011-07-23.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Amy Winehouse: scary, but not dead yet! Edit: found dead 2011-07-23.
Page 5 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-11, 13:15

Well she won five Grammys last night, so part of me is thinking she won't exactly be encouraged about "changing her life", huh?

"If this is how I'm rewarded when I'm a walking trainwreck, why should I change that? I'll make my next album while I'm even higher!"

Yikes. I know it's "about the music", and that it's seen as a separate thing from her life. But I still can't help but feel that we've validated/rewarded a dangerous, shitheaded lifestyle and behavior. If this twit manages to off herself in the coming months, I'll always wonder if that was the final push...giving her five Grammy Awards for a so-so album.

The album isn't that good, BTW...so you have to figure more plays into it - on the other (voting) end - than "just the music" anyway...these voters have to be taking the whole deal into account, IMO. Are they themselves angling for headlines and watercooler discussions by voting the way they do, and giving such a mediocre album - with a mess of an artist attached - these accolades? The cynic in me says "yes". And I think I'm right...it's less about "art" than it's ever been, so I don't put anything past the industry and those in it.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-02-11, 13:17

If by "we" you mean the recording industry, yes, they have.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-11, 13:21

Yeah, them. I didn't vote.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-02-11, 13:30

Surprisingly her live performance over satellite wasn't all that bad...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jR0WZY2NHhQ

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-11, 13:44

Yeah, not bad. Better than I would've predicted, considering.

I like those backup singers...those are some cool moves.

She's still a mess. You can tell she's just minutes away from a collapse or titty-flash.

When she sings, there's something weirdly sexy about her. She scares the hell out of me, but when she's "on the job", I can take her in small doses like that. Some of those looks she gives kinda make me go "well, well...can I buy you a drin...wait, that might not be a good idea...".

But then I remember that she's probably shot meth into her butthole four minutes before hitting the stage and it kinda loses its charm.

Enki

2008-02-11, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well she won five Grammys last night, so part of me is thinking she won't exactly be encouraged about "changing her life", huh?

"If this is how I'm rewarded when I'm a walking trainwreck, why should I change that? I'll make my next album while I'm even higher!"

Yikes. I know it's "about the music", and that it's seen as a separate thing from her life. But I still can't help but feel that we've validated/rewarded a dangerous, shitheaded lifestyle and behavior. If this twit manages to off herself in the coming months, I'll always wonder if that was the final push...giving her five Grammy Awards for a so-so album.

The album isn't that good, BTW...so you have to figure more plays into it - on the other (voting) end - than "just the music" anyway...these voters have to be taking the whole deal into account, IMO. Are they themselves angling for headlines and watercooler discussions by voting the way they do, and giving such a mediocre album - with a mess of an artist attached - these accolades? The cynic in me says "yes". And I think I'm right...it's less about "art" than it's ever been, so I don't put anything past the industry and those in it.

Or the Grammys may do the opposite. She may actually realize, now that she was forced to be clean for a night, that people do actually like her music. And that the acceptance while clean is better than the whole shebang while being AFU. It could be a good thing. Either way, time will tell.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-11, 17:28

That's true, assuming she was clean and straight (jury is still out on that, watching that vid).

But yeah, since she's "in rehab" (hell, who isn't) maybe she'll put two and two together...

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-20, 12:08

Bleh.

Not as bad as it could be, but still.. Bleh.

Spoiler (click to toggle):

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-04-15, 11:13

Amy Winehouse has been picked (in tandem with producer Mark Ronson) is doing the theme for the new James Bond flick which I think is a no brainer, she's got the perfect sound.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-15, 11:29

I think that'll be pretty cool. Yeah, she's got that 60's thing kinda working, and I can totally imagine something sultry and atmospheric from her, in the vein of the great Bond themes over the years.

I can imagine her turning in a good one, sure! Makes total sense, in a lot of ways, too.

If she can just get her crap together and stay safe (and not die young), she might be a real force to be reckoned with in the industry. She's got a voice and style unlike anyone else, and I'd much rather listen, and watch, an artist like this than all of the cookie-cutter, pre-fab pop tarts clogging up the charts.

I've attempted, a few times over the years, to write a Bond theme. They're all different, but you know them as soon as you hear it...usually minor key, kinda brooding and mysterious, with some ominous touches and little dashes of international flavor. I've gotten close a few times, little pieces in GarageBand or layered snippets that I keep meaning to "go back to and flesh out". I was going to get our singer to record the vocals, as soon as I wrote the lyrics (killing someone tomorrow because yesterday never dies with your finger in a spy who died again the day before forever. With diamonds).

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-04-15, 13:03

Every time this thread is revived I'm wondering if she finally OD'd and bit the dust....

Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-04-15, 13:09

I finally heard some of her stuff the other night when a band I was watching covered one of her songs. Seemed like a cool enough tune, but I'm thinking that if so many people are bothering you about going to rehab that it inspires you to write a song about *not* going to rehab, then you need to get your ass there.

Chris A
Formerly "Nurdley"

2008-04-15, 14:03

Every once in awhile, a no-talent comes out of nowhere, is awarded a bunch of Grammys, and disappears into deserved obscurity. Let us hope that Amy W goes all the way to the big "O".

SKMDC

2008-04-15, 14:53

Jeez, a lotta people drinkin' the HaterAdeā„¢ today!

Charlie Parker wrote songs about rehabbing too. I didn't realize so many had a vested interest in how she runs (or ruins) life.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-15, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Every time this thread is revived I'm wondering if she finally OD'd and bit the dust....
I thought the exact same thing, especially when I saw it was a post from SKMDC.

"He's not one for engaging in all this tawdry, sordid talk and razzing; I bet he's reporting the news of her death. Uh-oh...".

Seriously, that was my initial reaction earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
Charlie Parker wrote songs about rehabbing too. I didn't realize so many had a vested interest in how she runs (or ruins) life.
Well you just kinda hate to see someone "run the clock down" on an otherwise charmed, privileged life. She's got talent, IMO, and a lot of people like what she does, musically. Would be a shame if she joins all the others who died young in such a needless, stupid manner.

Doesn't make any of them more cool or iconic. If you could ask them, I'm sure Jimi, Janis and all the others would rather still be alive, making music.

Would be another sad waste.

It's one thing to go down in a plane or be shot by some nutball fan. But to drug and booze yourself into a grave before you even turn 30...that's just sad.

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2008-04-15, 22:04

Yikes!

SKMDC

2008-04-15, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Doesn't make any of them more cool or iconic. If you could ask them, I'm sure Jimi, Janis and all the others would rather still be alive, making music.
I wish the bit about making them more iconic were in fact the truth, but dying young is in fact a way to become iconic.

What's the difference between James Dean & Monty Clift? James Dean's car accident killed him, Clift's didn't. James hadn't come close to Monty's (his obvious influence) skill level when he died, yet more people today know who James Dean is compared to Montgomery Clift.

The recipe for their dispatch is irrelevant to me, OD, bad driving, sucking on an Twelve Guage, me wringing my hands over it seems rather futile. I'll fret over someone I have a sphere of influence over, but not a film star or pop star or tabloid harlot, getting worked up over them seems pointless.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-15, 23:47

Well I just don't like people dying. I'm not really eaten up with it (and I'm not a hardcore Winehouse fan). Just think it would be another waste.

But it's not an either/or thing; I certainly care about those in my sphere of influence too.

You're right about the iconic thing. I said it wrong...it makes them very iconic. But it doesn't make them cooler - or something worth admiring or emulating, above and beyond their music or whatever. Some people have romanticized some of these famous deaths, and that's more what I was getting at. How some people attach stuff to that.

Meli

2008-05-03, 13:07

She's not doing the Bond theme anymore: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

That's a shame because I was looking forward to it. Oh well.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-05-03, 14:06

Maybe she realised that its impossible to get anything to rhyme with Quantum of Solace.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-05-07, 19:18

http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...85630620080507

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Amy Winehouse was arrested on suspicion of drug offenses on Wednesday, police sources said.

The Grammy-winning soul singer, who was arrested for assault less than two weeks ago but released with a warning, was being held after she turned herself in at a London police station.

"At 1 p.m. (1200 GMT) on Wednesday, a 24-year-old woman attended a London police station by arrangement," police said in a statement. "She was arrested in connection with alleged possession of a controlled drug."

Police declined to give more details.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-05-07, 19:20

Same shit, different day.

That's gotta be at least a bakers dozen times she's been in trouble with the law in the last month or two.

.....and she's still disgusting.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-05-07, 19:27

She should start a new site called vomitouschic.com

murbot
Hoonigan

2008-05-23, 10:22

Now a ghost named Henry is trying to kick her ass.

Yeah, she's completely normal.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-23, 13:27

Jeez...

I'm sure that being high as a bat on God-knows-what-substances has nothing to do with those fears/concerns. I could take that claim a little more seriously from some folks.

Coming from Winehouse, however, and it's more like "oh, really? Haha, whatever. Put down the pipe, lady."

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-05-27, 21:50

Holy hell this is a scary-ass photo...

Spoiler (click to toggle):

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-27, 21:53

The cool thing is that she still knows how to spell her name. There's hope.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-05-27, 21:58

there were pictures of her the other day where she was wearing diapers under a dress

........wtf?!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-27, 22:37

Ugh...really? A freaky "fashion statement" or - - out of necessity? Is she so high and zonked-out that she's prone to "accidents"?

WTF, indeed.

She'll wind up with an endorsement deal from Huggies...

"When I nod off and shit myself, there's only one brand I trust...".

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-05-27, 22:40

Diaper Shot....