User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Hot damn! Chattanooga gets Macs on March 29!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hot damn! Chattanooga gets Macs on March 29!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-13, 15:14

What joyful news (trumpets, anyone?)

After years and years of mail order or driving to Atlanta (or Knoxville) to get stuff (or to simply see new products), I can finally go somewhere here in town to geek out, see new Apple goodies "in the flesh" and, most important of all, easily demonstrate to various friends and relatives the benefits and features of the platform.

Oh, and I can buy stuff too.

Just spoke to a guy there...March 29. Space already being prepped. Carrying the iMac, Mac mini, MacBooks and MacBook Pros (all but the pro-level, expensive towers), plus the displays. And they will also be carrying Mac accessories and software (Apple and third-party alike).

If it's anything like the Best Buy in Woodbridge, VA I saw last summer, then it'll be wonderful...one of every model on display, connected to the Internet wirelessly, sitting on a large, sleek maple-colored table (like a mini Apple store, with everything fit into a ~10x25 space, nicely displayed and easily searched. A neat little "rectangle unto itself" in the computer section (kinda like how CompUSA gave Apple it's own little corner back in the day).

At last...I'm so, so happy at this news. Changes all kinds of things for Mac users here in Chattanooga. All 38 of us...

Sorry for such a lame thread, but you have to understand...there is NOWHERE in town to buy Apple hardware - except for iPods and iPhones - or software. My joy and excitement is genuine. I know our chances for ever getting a true Apple Store here are ZERO, so I was hanging my hopes on something like this; it was the "next best thing", and only true option remaining. Hopefully they won't screw it up and run it like Sears or CompUSA did, years ago.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-13, 15:18

I bet your Mom still won't buy one.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-03-13, 15:19

An actual Apple store or a retailer making room for Macs?

Either way, congratulations, man!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-13, 15:31

Ooops...sorry! I didn't make that clear. It's Best Buy, yeah. They've had this pilot program in place for a year or so, in about 200 stores nationwide. I assume it was a success because they're taking it to around 500 (out of the 900 locations total).

All along I was hoping that one - or both - of our Chattanooga Best Buys would be chosen. It only made sense, since we had no other option. In other words, I was gonna get ultra-pissed if they stuck them in the Atlanta Best Buys (who already have three Apple Stores, and another on the way), or in the Knoxville and Nashville area Best Buy (both those cities have an official Apple Store as well, in addition to a few independent retailers). But here in Choo-Choo town, we had nothing.

And now we will.

Made no sense to skip/ignore towns (Chattanooga) that currently had no Mac retailers/access. So, thankfully, the powers-that-be seemed to see it that same way. As they should...

It will only help sales, putting access to Macs in places where there was none whatsoever before.

And I'm joking about the "38 Mac users". We've got a university here with a strong, heavy design department and curriculum, quite a few design and video houses, a small music scene and a couple of busy, well-known (regionally) recording studios, bloggers, chunks of downtown and the riverfront on free Wi-Fi, etc. And I see a surprising number of white Apple logo stickers on cars as I'm out and about...so I know I'm not the only person excited about this news.

Kick, you're probably right...

She gets home from Reno late tonight (11:30-ish). I don't think I was able to "fix" much on her PC, so she might be looking to do something this weekend. Whether that is "pay to have her PC fixed (for what good it'll do in the long run)" or "chuck it out the window and buy a Mac this time around" remains to be seen.

bmorley

2008-03-13, 15:58

I happened into a Best Buy here in Youngstown, OH yesterday. Much to my surprise, I saw an Apple display off in the computer section. Sauntered over and got my first look at a MacBook Air finally! They really are a nice little mini Apple store setup. There is an Apple Store in Cleveland and a retailer near Pittsburgh, both of which are a bit of a drive to get to, so this was a nice find.

Glad you are getting one in your neck of the woods too
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-03-13, 16:05

I just found out a few days ago Belfast is also getting an Apple store. No idea when but there are jobs available in the recruitment section of Apple UK
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-03-13, 16:07

We've got an Apple store in the mall near where I live, and the Best Buy also opened up an Apple section. I love going to the Apple store, so I was fairly excited about the Best Buy thing 'till I went there.

It's pretty lame. A couple of systems, a few external devices, but there's no dedicated software selection other than Apple offerings. People are going to want software.

real hackers don't use sigs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-13, 20:28

Are we talking recently, as in this latest round of Best Buy carrying Apple gear? Because that's a complete 180 from what I saw in Virginia last summer.

They had a long table (12 feet or so?) with 17", 20" and 24" iMac (one each), black and (2) white MacBooks (representing the three models: combo, super, super in black), Mac mini hooked to 20" Cinema Display and a 15" and 17" MacBook Pro (with a 23" Cinema spanning from the 17")

Hardware-wise, it was everything except the pro towers, 30" display and Xserve stuff (which nobody is going to buy stock at a place like Best Buy anyway, for $3,000+.

One one end, beyond the table, was a large kiosk/stand that had Apple-only accessories: mice (both kind), keyboards, notebook power adapters (for both models), cables (video, FireWire, USB, etc.), AirPort Express and Extreme, etc.

On the opposite end was a deeper shelf, with software...half Apple (Logic, Final Cut Studio, iWork, iLife, etc.) and the other part third-party (the biggies - Adobe Creative Suite and offshoots, Microsoft Office for Mac, plus other titles around the side of that display...fonts, utilities, consumer-level publishing, reference stuff, a smidgen of games, etc.). I took notice of everything because I remember thinking "this is all we need back home...it's perfect; I don't have to have four 24" iMacs on display and six 30" Cinemas, nine MacBook Pros, etc."

It wasn't a huge area, but it was a very clean, neat and clutter-free display. Very "Apple-y" with the large maple-colored table, hiddin wiring, little sans serif placards (printed paper in clear acrylic stands) that plainly showed the specs/pricing, etc. Every Mac had Internet access (wireless...yes, I checked them all, put my hands on every one, just to see), seemed to be no shortage of gizmos and doo-dads for Macs.

Anyone coming in to buy, say, a MacBook could get that, an extra power supply, a small selection of sleeves or cases down the other end of the run and Microsoft Office. And AppleCare and a Mighty Mouse. That probably makes up about 82% of the Mac-buying crowd in that sort of environment...the Mac itself, a couple of small add-ons or accessories and maybe a software title that isn't too funky or niche-y.

The boxed, actual stock and "for sale" Macs were all housed in the back (much like the Apple Stores themselves do)...you just have working display units out front. When you make your selection, someone goes and gets it.

No, I don't think you could walk in and get a power supply for your 2002 12" G3 iBook like you could in a "real" Apple Store (if they even carry that sort of stuff any more?). But that's probably not a gigantic concern or drawback.

And you know what? For a town with nothing - no Mac access or display whatsoever - I'll take the above any day over driving to Atlanta or Knoxville at $3/gallon gas.

SUMMARY: I was nothing but impressed with the Woodbridge, VA Best Buy, and I'll be happy as a clam if the Chattanooga Best Buy implementation is anywhere close to that. I'll know in about two weeks.

Ooh, and I imagine the MacBook Air would be sold/displayed there too. That's something new they've added to the line-up since last summer. I've yet to see one in real life, so that'll be nice.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-03-13 at 20:57.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-03-14, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Ooops...sorry! I didn't make that clear. It's Best Buy, yeah. They've had this pilot program in place for a year or so, in about 200 stores nationwide. I assume it was a success because they're taking it to around 500 (out of the 900 locations total).
Ah, now I understand. As you say, an Apple "store in a store" at Best Buy is the next best thing to the real deal. I'm excited for you, Scates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
The Best Buy thing [is] pretty lame. A couple of systems, a few external devices, but there's no dedicated software selection other than Apple offerings. People are going to want software.
I completely disagree, Taskiss. The recent "stores in a store" are very Apple like, feature a decent selection of recent hardware and software, and at my local Best Buy even have a giant Plasma TV on a tall black wall displaying Apple stuff in the background. Of course, these stores are no substitute for even a small Apple Store. But they are a far cry from the lone iBook crammed into one of those safety frames, surrounded by ugly Wintel laptops, at CompUSA!

So even though we got the first official Apple Store a few miles from my house many years ago, <gloat> and now have four within 20 minutes of driving, one more in Baltimore, and another one on the way in Georgetown, I am totally psyched for pscates! Good things come to good people.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-03-14, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I completely disagree, Taskiss. The recent "stores in a store" are very Apple like, feature a decent selection of recent hardware and software, and at my local Best Buy even have a giant Plasma TV on a tall black wall displaying Apple stuff in the background. Of course, these stores are no substitute for even a small Apple Store. But they are a far cry from the lone iBook crammed into one of those safety frames, surrounded by ugly Wintel laptops, at CompUSA!
Sounds a lot like the Best Buy in Austin as well.

Congrats, 'scates. May your pocketbook be even lighter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-03-15, 02:27

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Holy crap! The rumours are true! Vancouver Applestore in construction.... I saw this topic, checked the interwebs idly and there it was.

Sweet. Wonder when the opening date is?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-03-15, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I agree. It looks out of place at Best Buy, but it works. Last couple times I've been at Best Buy, I've seen someone walking out with either an iMac or MacBook.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-25, 11:50

Yay! It's getting close...
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-03-26, 22:10

Yay for Scates!

Are you going to camp out the night before? We expect a full report with pictures. Nothing beats the excitement of getting your own Apple (mini) Store!

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-26, 22:21

Ha! No, I'm not "camping out" (I'm not that much of a dork). Besides, I'd probably be the only one there anyway. This isn't exactly the Bay Area, after all...

But I will be going over to see the official opening and "ribbon-cutting" bullcrap at 10:30am (I am "that much of a dork", apparently ).

Actually, I hadn't considered the picture/report thing, but, inspired by your comment, I just e-mailed my Mom to borrow her nice Canon digital camera Saturday morning so I can get some shots, which I'll upload to a .Mac gallery sometime Saturday (I'll get clearer, nicer shots from her camera than I would my iPhone).

Good idea!

So watch this thread Saturday afternoon for a link, those of you who are interested in such nonsense.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-28, 22:10

Well, forget tomorrow morning...I went this evening, after learning it was already up and running (tomorrow was only the "official" grand opening/ribbon-cutting, etc.). Screw that...

Was heading out to that area anyway, so I swung by to check it out (didn't know I was going, so the photos are from my iPhone and not my Mom's digital camera).

Six pics of the new Apple mini-store at my local Best Buy.

Yay!

That accessories area is kinda bare, I realize. But there were slots there with more stuff coming, I was told (more software, cases and things).

But there was a nice, steady crowd (people cooing over the MacBook Air and 24" iMac, mostly). And I heard from two of the staff that they'd already sold three iMacs and a MacBook today.

For the record, here's what they had on display, computer-wise:
- 20" iMac
- 24" iMac
- 15" MacBook Pro (Penryn) connected to 20" (or was it 23"?) Cinema Display
- 17" MacBook Pro (Penryn, 512MB graphics, 2.5GHz, etc.)
- Black MacBook (white ones available for purchase, just not on display...yet?)
- MacBook Air...holy crap, that's thing is light! Very pretty to see in person...

Large display on black wall with looping iLife, Leopard and "Mac lifestyle" promos, showcase, etc. Very nice and attention getting. People standing there watching it...

Software: Leopard, iLife, iWork, .Mac, AppleCare, Office 2008, various third-party publishing, financial, etc.
Accessories: AirPort, Time Capsule, keyboards, notebook power adapters, mice, video cables and adapters (DVI-to-VGA, etc.), hubs, some sleeves/cases, etc.

No Mac mini, which I asked about. The guy said they were supposed to be getting them "in a couple of weeks"...you know what that means.

As I'd assumed all along, it was pretty much everything but the pro towers. And, frankly, who cares about that shit?

*ducks*

All-in-all, a very nice set-up. No, not every piece of obscure, wingnut software or doo-dad available. But for nuts-and-bolts Mac stuff and computers, it's better than what Chattanooga had last week...which was nothing.

I've got no complaints whatsoever.

This big Apple area is right at the computer area as you're walking back, a bit to the left. But it's a huge black wall with that looping footage on the embedded large display and a big 18" glowing white Apple logo. In other words, you'd have to be blind as a bat to not see this display. I saw tons of people walking past and stopping to look. I noted how many of them had the goo-goo eyes upon playing with them, and looking them over (it's right across from the digital cameras/camcorders and right in front of the inkjets and scanners, so people are going to be walking past it whether they want to or not. They'll almost be forced to stop and take a look.

Oh, and I think I helped sell an iMac to a switcher...he seemed way more impressed with my opinions and input than he did the employee help. We talked for over 10 minutes. His family is needing a new computer and both he and his daughter have had it with Windows, he said. I gave him my e-mail and number and told him I'd be happy to try and answer any other questions he might have, in terms of switching or Macs in general. I demoed some stuff for him (iMovie, iPhoto, Dashboard, told him about Time Machine, talked a bit about the whole virus/spyware thing, my happiness with the platform and lack of any downtown or any serious woes over the years).

I think I should be doing this for real...I seem to have a knack for getting non-Mac users interested and excited in them. As I was leaving, he was talking to the sales guy again, who was gesturing toward the rear, as if to say "we've got them in stock" and they were both smiling and the customer was nodding his head in a "I think I'm going to do this" way...I think the guy probably bought one!

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-28, 22:42

Quote:
I think I should be doing this for real...I seem to have a knack for getting non-Mac users interested and excited in them. ...
If Apple had some sort of MLM system like Amway, you'd probably be one of the top guys by now. Hardly a week passes that you're not convincing someone to switch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-28, 22:55

It's not that frequently, but I've certainly been responsible for a respectable number over the years. Apple could send give me a year of .Mac for free or something.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-03-28, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
If Apple had some sort of MLM system like Amway, you'd probably be one of the top guys by now.
You know, that's not such a bad idea. Maybe not quite going door to door selling vacuum cleaners (do they still do that?). But organizing 'Mac nights' where you organize and have potential switchers attend. You do a whole run through of Mac OS, dazzle them with Keynote effects, and close with the iPhone.

At worse, why Apple don't hire undercover 'floaters' that hang around BestBuy's to trump up the Mac platform. In the past, it's always been dorky sales people who have dissed the Mac.

Thankfully attitudes are finally changing and people are giving the Mac a chance. Still we need more folks like Pscates to chime in when the opportunity presents itself. I know I usually say something when the staff at my local BB is stumped.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-29, 00:29

It was a pretty nice scene. Seemed to be some real interest. I think now, compared to, say, 5-6 years ago, people are looking at Macs in a different way. The iPod and iPhone have certainly put the company/brand in the minds of everyone, even non-Mac users.

So I think a lot of people will check them out and maybe give them an honest shot.

And as long as the support and good sales staff are there and no actively going out of their way to deep-six the line *ahem* I think they'll do okay here.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-29, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
At worse, why Apple don't hire undercover 'floaters' that hang around BestBuy's to trump up the Mac platform. In the past, it's always been dorky sales people who have dissed the Mac.
It's amazing the number of anti-Apple saboteurs working in stores that sell Apple products.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-03-29, 23:16

Quote:
Ha! No, I'm not "camping out" (I'm not that much of a dork).
Quote:
Well, forget tomorrow morning...I went this evening, after learning it was already up and running (tomorrow was only the "official" grand opening/ribbon-cutting, etc.). Screw that...

Six pics of the new Apple mini-store at my local Best Buy.
Rock on, Paul! What can I say, I'm "that much of a dork" to have enjoyed your report and pictures. It's uncanny how similar your Best Buy and AppleShop setup looks like the one in my neck of the woods. I guess Best Buy is like Home Depot in that respect. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Quote:
You know, that's not such a bad idea. Maybe not quite going door to door selling vacuum cleaners (do they still do that?). But organizing 'Mac nights' where you organize and have potential switchers attend.
Kind of like the Avon and Mary Kay ladies? I can totally picture Scates doing this, except that everything would be in iMac orange rather than Avon pink!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-29, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
It's amazing the number of anti-Apple saboteurs working in stores that sell Apple products.
I've seen it first-hand quite a few times over the years, particularly at two specific CompUSA locations in San Diego County when I lived there.

This was back in the fruit-flavored iMac, tray- and slot-loading, days (1999-2000) when I witnessed a lot of it...just outright lies and nonsense, steering customers to other (non-Mac) computers even when a customer has asked about a particular Mac, acting a bit snide and mean toward anyone expressing interest in an iMac or iBook (or any Mac), saying things like "Macs are known to crash and freeze up more than most computers", acting impatient or genuinely unhelpful to people looking to buy a Mac, etc. On top of all that, the Macs would often be frozen, missing keys on the keyboards, mice not present (stolen? hidden?). Just a mess. Sears was the worst...they carried Macs for a while during that time (iMac DV era) and their display/service was a wreck!

I saw and heard plenty of that kind of stuff with my own eyes and ears. No, not each and every employee every single time I visited, but definitely enough to where it was a noticeable, predictable pattern!
Reid

2008-03-30, 17:43

Quote:
This was back in the fruit-flavored iMac, tray- and slot-loading, days (1999-2000) when I witnessed a lot of it... I saw and heard plenty of that kind of stuff with my own eyes and ears. No, not each and every employee every single time I visited, but definitely enough to where it was a noticeable, predictable pattern!
Yeah, those were tough times to be a Mac user. Worse still were the mid-late nineties--before Jobs returned. I remember trying to buy a Performa one time at a CompUSA store and I couldn't get anyone to even talk to me about them. They were openly dismissive of the Mac and kept trying to steer me to the other computers. Granted, this was when Apple was at its worst, but I'd still rather use Mac OS 7 than Windows 95!

Even when Apple started piloting the store-within-a-store concept back in the early iMac days, it was still tough to find a knowledgeable employee in a CompUSA or a Best Buy. And these guys were wearing Apple logos on their shirts! Here's hoping this time around they've actually managed to find Apple enthusiasts to staff those areas.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-03-30, 17:56

I LOVE the mini-stores within Best Buy. I like to go hang around for a half hour whenever we're in Hamilton- it gives me a chance to play with the Intel Macs and to watch the customer. The 2 sales guys I've seen at our BB are actual Mac guys, which is awesome; one of them started trying to sell me the MacBook and I smiled and nodded along and corrected him once, and then he was like "you don't need the presentation, do you?" And then we just started talking about Apple and what we do with our Macs. Then when some buyers came by and he got stumped, he outright asked me "are you familiar with GarageBand?" and let me take over showing the two what it could do. I'm sure these knowledgeable ones are in the minority, sadly.

I think it's really awesome because it gives a way for people who might never go to an Apple Store, or in locations without an Apple store, to get real-world exposure to Macs and play with them. Anything that gets Macs more visible to computer buyers is good in my book!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-30, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I think it's really awesome because it gives a way for people who might never go to an Apple Store, or in locations without an Apple store, to get real-world exposure to Macs and play with them.
Bingo! You're exactly right. I have no doubt in my mind that Apple will now sell computers here in Chattanooga, Tennessee that they simply would not have if this set-up wasn't in place. If the initial sales and interest that I witnessed or learned about on Friday are any indication, this was a very smart move and will only help.

If you're not a current Mac user/owner, you're not going to drive 100+ miles just to "look at Macs" at an out-of-town Apple store. But if they're right smack-dab in the middle of a popular store that you go to anyway (and they're well-presented and have knowledgeable, helpful staff to answer questions and show them off)...

I know for a fact there are at least three new iMacs and one MacBook being used here in town today that probably wouldn't have otherwise (and I also know that two of those purchases were from switchers). And if that guy I helped/talked to Friday night bought one, that's one more you can add...

A "drop in the bucket", I'm sure, in the big scheme of things. But hey...five (at least) sales is five sales (in a city where you had none a few days ago). And there's no telling what happened all day yesterday and today, in terms of sales and interest, that I don't know about!

I'll definitely be asking one of the staff, next time I'm there, how it's all going and how many Macs they've sold.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-03-30, 20:47

Quote:
At worse, why Apple don't hire undercover 'floaters' that hang around BestBuy's to trump up the Mac platform.
Why hire when people do it for free?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-30, 21:39

Because it's not consistent or reliable? I can be everywhere...