User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

"Best Of" feature?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Best Of" feature?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-02-16, 15:19

Capella and I have been talking way too much discussing how to have something useful on AN's front page (remember when we had talks about articles?). How about being able to collaboratively flag posts as "Best Of", and have them appear at www.applenova.com that way?

Or, I suppose, we could rotate through a bunch of photos of ourselves drinking beer.*

*) As Capella points out, even she can have some now.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-02-16, 15:41

If this is about bringing attention to good posts, then how about simply using the positive reps for it?

Of course there is the little problem that the front page might end up with a lot of lol cats instead of the more serious stuff.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-02-16, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
If this is about bringing attention to good posts, then how about simply using the positive reps for it?
Those aren't public, only visible to those receiving them, and only until they're pushed off the first page.

This is about letting (especially non-regular) members discover good posts.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-02-16, 16:03

Can't you just tally up the points without naming names? And maybe it would work better if "Best of" doesn't refer to individual posts, but the whole thread? After all, a good post still needs it's thread to make sense.

I'm ust brainstorming now and as a non-programmer I have no idea how much trouble this is. I just thought it would be easier to start working from something that already exists and is being used.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-02-16, 16:08

Can't we already rate some posts/threads or am I dreaming? Seems like that could work though it would probably be a little biased.
chucker

2010-02-16, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Can't you just tally up the points without naming names?
Oh, I thought you mean manually. You mean have the page generated by showing the posts with the most positive reputation points? Yeah, that would be one way.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-02-16, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh, I thought you mean manually. You mean have the page generated by showing the posts with the most positive reputation points? Yeah, that would be one way.
Yes, the lazy way.

Iago

2010-02-16, 16:54

Quote:
How about being able to collaboratively flag posts as "Best Of", and have them appear at www.applenova.com that way?
Quote:
Those aren't public, only visible to those receiving them, and only until they're pushed off the first page.
I was thinking about this lately too, and that was pretty much what I came up with: a system similar to Digg's "Digg It" or Reddit's "Upvote" feature.

Giving rep for a post takes way too long to be a useful barometer. I see a digg it/upvoting system as a shorthand for agreeing with someone rather than rehashing what they've already said.

I guess I could just have said 'Upvote' to both of the above quotes

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-02-16, 16:59

As implied above by chucker's post, I obviously agree with a list of best posts, by a digg/upvote feature or by rep or however it needs to be implemented.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-02-16, 17:16

So basically the front page would revolve between threads about OMG Youtube, LOLcats, WTF, bewbs/beer, and the occasional bit of tech or public mockery of spammers.
¡Damned!

2010-02-16, 20:14

I'd be up for reviewing how drunk I am, daily, on a scale from 1 to blarg.

Drew could do a daily poop update too. I know I've been having the sinkers lately... probably because of all the red cabbage I've been eating....

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2010-02-16, 20:24

Though, come to think about it, I'm not sure how well the system would work. Say, for example, a thread by one of macgeeks's incarnations. A lot of those threads might float to the surface (because we lurve them), but if enough of them get placed automagically on the front page it might look like we're throwing up threads to dissuade people from coming here.... much like decapitated heads on stakes.

We might as well put up in big Comic Sans letters "Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

We'd be like 4 chan, but with, um, smarter perverts.

So it goes.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-02-18, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Drew could do a daily poop update too.
This.