Problems with Powerbook G4 15" after Software Update
Wardomatic

2005-03-06, 11:50

My computer specs first up:
Powerbook G4 15" Titanitum
1 GHz, 512 MB
60G
OSX 10.3.8
(This is a refurbished Powerbook I bought from Apple last June.)

I've been experiencing some problems lately soon after doing a Software Update wherein I updated my system from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8. There were several other items updated at the same time, too, such as Security Updates, etc. Once I did the Update, my Fast User Switching does not switch over, I'm being asked to type in my password for Mail (both users) when I did not have do so before, and several quirky things regarding passwords in Safari, etc.

I tried doing a Repair Permissions, but when I open the Disk Utility, a window pops up with the following:

"Error starting Disk Utility background process:
Disk Utility started, but a background procedss needed in Disk Utility didn't start properly. Please quit and restart Disk Utility."

To which I've done so three times, and I get the same thing.

I tried fixing my Keychain Access, but another window pops up telling me that there was an error in starting a new keychain. When the program opens, there are no keychains at all. Nothing.

This is the second time this has happened. The exact thing happened to my PB the last time I did a Software Update back in July of last year, but I cannot for the life of me remember what I did to fix the same quirks: Fast User Switching problems, Mail password issues, etc. I had gone through so many people: Apple, tech guy at work, brother-in-law here in town who's a Mac whiz, etc. and was finally able to get it fixed, but am unaware of what I did exactly. This go 'round, I am most definitely writing it all down.

To add to the mix: my disc drive does not work. Whenever I put a CD, DVD, or DVD-R in, it's spit back out. I wanted to get my password/keychain issues fixed before I sent it to Apple for repair.

I've done my homework here by doing a search for anything remotely associated with Software/System Updates, but I could not find a thread or post that mentions the same problems that I'm experiencing. If I overlooked a post, or if this has indeed been mentioned before and therefore makes me look like an ignorant newbie (too late, I know), please forgive me! I'm just trying to get this thing out of the way before I get my PB fixed.

Thanks guys.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-06, 14:42

I'd use Disk Utility from the startup CD and Repair Disk. Then see if you can repair permissions while booted from your hard drive.

If you still have trouble, download the 10.3.8 COMBO updater from apple.com/support and install that.
Wardomatic

2005-03-06, 16:32

I cannot put a disc in my computer. It spits one out every time I put any kind of disc in.
Wardomatic

2005-03-06, 16:44

And I just downloaded 10.3.8 Combo from Apple.com and it freezes up when I'm on the second page, where it asks me to press "Continue" during the "Read Me" page.

I have to Force Quit in order to get out of that.

Help?
Wardomatic

2005-03-08, 03:04

Is this a dead question? I'm still experiencing these problems. Add the fact that I can't empty my trash at all. I've got quite a load of stuff in there I'd like to get rid of but can't.

Surely someone out there can help a starving artist here!