AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

WTF is wrong with people?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WTF is wrong with people?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-30, 11:17

Ok, if you're easily bothered by stuff, just ignore this thread.

So i'm reading CNN, and i find this story.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? What in the world would posses someone to think this is at all a good idea? Stupid fucking kids. So they went back to clean up their mess, but someone had already found them and brought the suvivors to the animal shelter.

Buy in all honesty, how sick do you have to be to keep doing this after killing one puppy. One I could somehow see, if you were a complete dumbass. But to keep killing them after you see what you've done, from putting fireworks in a puppies mouth, just screams sociopath.

Man, I really hope they find these little shits, and bunk them with a guy named Biff who happens to be a dog lover.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-30, 11:28

God fucking damnit, I wish they had tried this shit on each other instead of on puppies. And instead of using fireworks, they had used guns instead. That would have been good.

These kids are just itching for a Darwin award. I hope they each get one soon. At this rate it won't be long.

And this is the kind of thing that makes old people think that all teenage boys are stupid little fuckheads who have to torture small animals and elderly grandmothers just to get their kicks. I have to say, the majority (I won't say vast majority) of boys 13-17 are probably pretty good, but it only takes a few incidents like this to paint the entire group. I remember being pretty mellow when I was that age, but of course everyone assumed I was a worthless little rugrat, and this is the sort of thing that helps me understand why.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-30, 11:32

What do you expect, these days? Schools can't/won't control kids (and certainly can't teach anything remotely concerning right/wrong, good/bad, etc.), parents won't lift a finger and often throw up their hands and turn over their job to TV, we have all this pop-psychology methods of raising kids that runs counter to everything we've done for centuries, etc.

Add to that an Internet/video game culture that has desensitized so many to gore and violence (when an 11-year-old can log on to ogrish.com at will or spend hours upon hours of cutting people in half with some wild-ass fantasy weapon, don't tell me that doesn't have an effect on some).

I'm not surprised one fucking bit. I get saddened and angered, no doubt, but I can't say that I sit here going "wow, HOW does this happen?!?!".

No big mystery, really. Seems pretty obvious to me, but you'll catch grief from some for saying it...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 11:53

Well said. Relatively few parents are demanding of their teenagers anymore. Can't demand that they behave a certain way in public or with others, that could be construed as insensitive and stiffling the poor child's development.

I get the sense that many modern-day parents think that enforcing rules in their home and demanding their kids act appropriately is akin to forcing them to live in Pleasantville or something. The bottom line is this is the single most dysfunctional country on the planet and what we're seeing here is a symptom of it.

Personally, if I found out my kid (who would not be likely to be amused by such things because I would raise them with a sense of right and wrong *gasp!*) got involved in something like that, I would go ape-shit.

I'd take whatever video games he had and smash them with a fucking baseball bat (he can use his own money to buy the new ones), I'd call the parents of every one of the other kids (I would give my kid incentives to give me their names, such as "for every name you give me, I'll knock off two weeks from your new 6 month house arrest") let them know what happened and if they didn't absolutely lay into their kids for it, I'd be sure to mention it to the cops under the condition I remain annonymous tipster. Pioneer press papers love to publish stuff like that in a lot of towns, too.

I mean it's one thing to tease kids your own age or bully them or whatever -- that's been part of growing up since the dark ages. But it's quite another to derive pleasure from attempting to set fire to and/or blow up someone's pet.

I don't even want think about what I'd do to someone who did that to my dog. Bail money would be required most likely. Seriously. I would not be able to control myself very well unless I had friends with me to calm me down. I mean, I'm a dog lover to begin with... I feel they're a real part of any given family and if you treat them well from puppydom, they'll do right by you every time. How someone could torture dogs like that... oh man does that set a fire in my belly. Just brings out the urge to maim and injure. Must be genetically encoded or something. Maybe I have a wolf gene in me somewhere.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-30, 12:00

poor little things. . .

fucking kids. . .
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-30, 12:03

I consider myself an extremely desensitized person, but I would never do anything like this. I wasn't even phased by watching that video of that guy getting his head cut off...that is how I know I guess I don't consider it one of my finer qualities.

I will say that bad parenting is the main cause of most problems I agree. People's parenting sucks. I guess I will be seen as a nazi parent when I raise my kids because I require them to act a certain way.

I guess it's better to lessen their punishment if you they tell you who their friends are, but I'd tell them for ever time I ask and they don't tell, I'll add on another 2 weeks.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 12:03

You know what it is? It's not that dogs are more important or deserving of more protection than people... it's that they're pretty much intelligent but helpless creatures. They're at our mercy the same way a 4 year old kid would be at our mercy.

You put out your hand and it thinks it's getting a piece of food and instead you put an explosive in its mouth? Roman candles?

FUCK. I would just pound the shit out of some teenager if I caught them doing that to my dog or even one of my neighbor's dogs, even though I'd surely regret it later.

thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-30, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
And this is the kind of thing that makes old people think that all teenage boys are stupid little fuckheads who have to torture small animals and elderly grandmothers just to get their kicks. I have to say, the majority (I won't say vast majority) of boys 13-17 are probably pretty good, but it only takes a few incidents like this to paint the entire group. I remember being pretty mellow when I was that age, but of course everyone assumed I was a worthless little rugrat, and this is the sort of thing that helps me understand why.
well, playing into the stereotype doesn't help. for all we know, the culprit was a middle aged woman. unlikely, perhaps, but the little whippersnappers are still at large (if i read the article right).

i think if i had witnessed this kind of atrocity, i'd be kind of afraid of these kids. a twisted mind like that could easily aim their sites at a person. god help them if i survived such an attack.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-30, 12:29

It kinda goes to what I've always thought about parenting and having kids: I can't help but find it amazing that you have to get licensed or otherwise prove proficiency/ability to do things like fly planes, drive a car, fish, duck-hunt, add-on to your porch, etc. In other words, you can't just wake up one day and say "I feel like piloting a plane up to Alaska and hunt moose..." and do it.

But ANY assheaded fucktard of a numbnut can pull their pants down, insert the proper parts into the appropriate places and create life.

Not saying I advocate licensing and all to have kids (although...tell you what, get back to me on that in a few years), but DAMN.

I couldn't go home TONIGHT and build a deck around the side of my house without involving the county, inspectors and other individuals and bureacracies.

I CAN, however, go to Chili's, sit at the bar, get drunk out of my skull, meet an equally drunk MILF cutie, get lucky and create life by midnight, no questions asked.

But I'm a pretty squared-away, got-it-together kinda guy when it comes to this kind of thing, and I'm not going to be doing that kind of stuff to begin with!

But what about all those people, barely employed (or on public assistance of some sort) and just FUCKING, sans protection, all live long day? Put on a RUBBER. Use Saran Wrap. Pull out 10 minutes early. Become a monk. Do SOMETHING, moron. You're PART OF THE PROBLEM!

I love taking backroad country drives around here and it's ALWAYS the case that the more run-down the house/trailer is, the more kids there are hanging off the front porch.

Having kids simply IS NOT taken seriously or done properly by so many people out there, of ALL races and socio-economic standings. And the outcome and consequences of that are made evident with each passing day we're on this planet. This little pupply story is just one of many we've heard, and will continue to hear.

That's just true.

Any ignorant, shiftless, irresponsible dipshit can have a kid. And, to no one's surprise, they usually do.

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 12:30

These kids need to be caught and destroyed. They don't need to be alive. Christ, I have two dogs and I feel guilty when I don't let them sleep on the bed and these fuckers go around killing them with fireworks! They have no souls.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-30, 12:47

Groverat used to always scold me at .com, saying, essentially, "things like this aren't worse now than they were back in the 'good old days', pscates...".

Bullcrap. I don't buy that for a second.

Sneaking a pack of your dad's Kools out of the house and lighting up with your gradeschool buddies was probably viewed as cutting-edge, "bad boy" behavior. And probably as "out there" as many people got, or even THOUGHT about getting.

The kinds of influences and stimuli simply weren't around then. No, not everyone was a Beaver Cleaver goodie-goodie. Of course not, I realize that. And I also realize there wasn't a 24/7 news media to play up everything 800% more than it would normally get reported.

But STILL - even factoring those two things in - I don't think your typical teens were running around doing this kind of crap either...or that it would even cross their mind to begin with.

The things a 14-year-old old can see - and know about and experience - today are WAY beyond what they could just 20 years ago, when I was that age. Much less 40, 50, 60, etc. years ago. Honestly, where could I go - in 1984 - to see a film clip of someone getting their head sawed off, or photos of someone run over by an 18-wheeler? And Pac Man wasn't that damn bloody and gory, if I recall.

Don't tell me "things aren't any different". Bullshit. They're WAY different. Some for the better, of course. But some...anything but. And they matter, and they have influences and consequences to some. Not all, but some.

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-30, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Pull out 10 minutes early.
Someone didn't pay attention in health class
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-30, 12:56

I paid attention PLENTY.

That's not a preferred method, but one I'd suggest to someone who already has 6 kids and can only feed/cloth two of them, and isn't going about normal means of contraception. Better than the alternative of depositing the entire load, so to speak.

And they MIGHT get lucky, although I doubt it.

People are going to screw, that's just a given. But have some sense about it, on the front end, before you do something you can't easily undo.

And if you're going to bring a child into this world, then dammit...be prepared to do it right, all the way. The ONE "job" in life you simply can't approach half-assed. And if you can't do that, then keep your wang inside your pants OR be smart and take all necessary precautions.

Why do I even need to SAY that?

Otherwise, you're just an idiot and adding to the problem because the last thing we need are more badly-raised, barely loved and uncared for kids running around, fueling the fire.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-06-30 at 13:01.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 13:04

What Paul is trying to say - and I don't disagree with him about the notion that relatively speaking, things *are* worse now in terms of teenage behavioral issues - is that the gene pool needs some chlorine.

Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-06-30, 13:31

Animal cruelty is unfortunately a not so rare behavior. There is many people, who with the help of a little training will be perfect gestapo people.

Some years ago, when my grandmother was still alive, and was living in the Côte d'Azur in an institution for old people, she used to know a gentle cat, who was very nice and sweet with her.
Unfortunately, one day some bastards, caught the cat, put a rope around him, attached to their car, and start an horrible rodeo. The cat died in horrible pain ...
The bastards where never caught. At least for this one, they will or they had certainly met the prisons for others violences and crimes. When people are able to do such things, you can bet, that they are not very respecteful of the law and others.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak

[...]

i think if i had witnessed this kind of atrocity, i'd be kind of afraid of these kids. a twisted mind like that could easily aim their sites at a person. god help them if i survived such an attack.
This has been studied. There is a very strong correlation between cruelty to animals and the eventual expansion of such behaviour, by the perpetrators, to violence against people and other extreme anti-social behaviour . If you want to know who the next generation of murderers will be, find out who is torturing animals right now.

And regarding the incident itself -

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 13:53

Chinney is probably right with that. I bet there is a pretty large connection between kids who torture animals, who later turn their violence towards people. I think that's a pretty common historical trait of multiple offenders in fact. "Johnny was a bitter boy; he would sometimes find stray cats and kill them for sport, blah blah blah shouldn't we feel sorry for Johnny, it's all his parents' fault."

Might've been their fault their teenager killed animals, but hardly their fault if they start killing people IMO. There is a threshold there somewhere that has to willingly be crossed to kill another human being in cold blood.

Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-06-30, 14:26

If I caught anyone doing this, I would use every single brain cell to devise some kind of hell to put this person through. Scalping with my ragged car key would be a favorite.

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 15:09

Simply put, I'd be in jail if I saw someone doing this. At least for aggravated assault, probably for murder.

Jesus.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-30, 15:25

All right it's settled then: we should start a "Canine Avengers" vigilante squad with a hotline number so anytime one of us has to inflict severe pain onto some kid for torturing a dog or cat , we can put a call in to the hotline. Then one of us will hear the message and location and go to the nearest western union to bail our sibling avenger out of the clinker.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 17:45

Quote:
Orginally posted by Chinney:

This has been studied. There is a very strong correlation between cruelty to animals and the eventual expansion of such behaviour, by the perpetrators, to violence against people and other extreme anti-social behaviour . If you want to know who the next generation of murderers will be, find out who is torturing animals right now.
There was a guy at my school, in Boy Scouts and the marching band no less, who once had a "bird cannon squad" that he liked to brag about. That summer, he was thrown in prison for minors after molesting two six-year-old girls.

Yeah, I know some screwed up people.