Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Mac Mini Updates

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Mini Updates
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
azcoder

2005-10-21, 11:36

What happened to the pending mac mini updates of a faster cpu and double the video ram?

I was going to buy one....but I was holding out for the update....
ack_mac

2005-10-21, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoder
What happened to the pending mac mini updates of a faster cpu and double the video ram?

I was going to buy one....but I was holding out for the update....
While Apple has not formally announced it, it is happening...
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...highlight=mini

If you search Google many people are getting the updated mini.. If you order one built to order you are almost guarenteed the newer mini.. I will let you know next week (should have mine anyday).
eochs

2005-10-21, 14:12

I got mine about 3 weeks ago at the Austin Apple Store and it has the updated specs
iDaver

2005-10-21, 17:42

It's amazing that Apple chose to do this upgrade in this way. It's laughable that they still haven't made it official.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-10-21, 20:45

I still can't quite believe that this is for real. Until I see it myself, I won't.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-21, 21:06

Er, Chimney, thousands of people have the upgraded machines by now. Many have shown that they have the updated specs. Even Apple's site lists new specs (in technical support, the new Mac mini is listed as the "Mac mini (Late 2005)" model).

I'm pretty sure it's not just a huge hoax.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-10-21, 21:56

Well is it official or not? The specs at the Apple Store for the top mini model still say:
Quote:
1.42GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
DVI or VGA video output
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth
Optional 56k Internal Modem
Until that changes, I will still have some doubt about what I am going to get if I order now.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
iDaver

2005-10-21, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
...I will still have some doubt about what I am going to get if I order now.
As well you should. Nobody in their right mind should buy a mini right now unless they haven't heard about the invisible unknowable upgrade.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-21, 22:15

I agree with iDaver. I'd wait to buy a Mac mini. I wasn't suggesting that you buy one, I wast just saying that the invisible Mac mini update is real. It's not a giant hoax.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-10-21, 22:39

Apple's going nuts with these special events! My buddy in Phoenix writes a tech column, and he got this e-mail from Apple this afternoon. I guess they're gonna make it official.

Maybe they'll announce a new 12" PowerBook G5 too?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-21, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Priceless. Apple does have a sense of humor!!!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-10-21, 22:45

Dude, that's n...ah, never mind. Yes, they're a riot.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-21, 22:48

Quote:

Dude, that's n...ah, never mind. If I have to explain it, it loses the punch.
Ok, as if you can't tell I'm still fairly new with Mac/Apple and am getting over my MS mindset.

Every now and then I actually try to do things on my Mac like I would XP. Then I just clear my mind and do it the simple way, it works.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.â€
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-10-21, 22:50

I was thinking to myself, right before I posted it, "SOMEONE is going to fall for it...it'll show up on engadget.com tomorrow, and macrumors.com by Sunday...".

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-21, 22:52

Quote:
I was thinking to myself, right before I posted it, "SOMEONE is going to fall for it...it'll show up on engadget.com tomorrow, and macrumors.com by Sunday...".

iDaver

2005-10-21, 22:54

Paul, you're a bad, bad boy.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-21, 22:56

MacMiniLover

2005-10-22, 03:24

Is this all a joke?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-22, 10:29

Ever have one of those days you just feel...ya know like...

Dutch Pear

2005-10-24, 06:51

Some people...
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-24, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Ok, as if you can't tell I'm still fairly new with Mac/Apple and am getting over my MS mindset.

Every now and then I actually try to do things on my Mac like I would XP. Then I just clear my mind and do it the simple way, it works.

How did I miss that all weekend. That is sweet, I almost bought it...

ack_mac

2005-10-27, 12:15

Quick update. I received my new Mac Mini yesterday and I can confirm that it is indeed the updated Mini (1.5GHZ, 5400rpm 80GB Seagate HD, 64mg VRAM graphics, 8x DL Superdrive).. I ordered it BTO with 1GB of memory.

I love this little computer.. I have had up to five apps open with hardly any beach balls. I moved a ton of photos last night off my PC, and played with iPhoto, but have yet to really push the envelope with iDVD and iMovie.. But I can say that without the little light on in the front you would never know that it is turned on (quiet as a mouse).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-27, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_mac
Quick update. I received my new Mac Mini yesterday and I can confirm that it is indeed the updated Mini (1.5GHZ, 5400rpm 80GB Seagate HD, 64mg VRAM graphics, 8x DL Superdrive).. I ordered it BTO with 1GB of memory.

I love this little computer.. I have had up to five apps open with hardly any beach balls. I moved a ton of photos last night off my PC, and played with iPhoto, but have yet to really push the envelope with iDVD and iMovie.. But I can say that without the little light on in the front you would never know that it is turned on (quiet as a mouse).
Load the Folding@Home app on there (InCrease actually) and you'll hear the fans kick on high every now and then.

I really have enjoyed mine. I do look forward to more than my 1.25GHz Mac though. It just doesn't do all I *need* it to do, well, not as fast as I would like anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.â€
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
aerogant

2005-10-31, 09:50

Has anyone successfully gotten the updated mini from Amazon? I've been tempted beyond words to take advantage of their rebates, but don't want to get stuck with the slower version.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 21:12

When will it be official? I visited a local small independent Wintel computer shop and saw - to my impressed surprise - that they are now also offering Macs (just the Mini), in a display beside the iPods (which they have sold for a while). I might have bought one on impulse, because we need a second computer for the kids. But the boxes stlll contain the old specs, so I did not buy....

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-11-02, 00:03

I really am beginning to wonder why Apple hasn't officially updated the specs yet. It's been over a month since Apple themselves confirmed they were shipping Mac minis with updated specs, and at least six weeks or so since the updated models started hitting store shelves. So what gives?

The existing stock of "old" Mac minis must be long gone by now. What other reasons can we think up of as to why they wouldn't have made the update official yet?

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-02, 00:25

I would suppose that Apple is just covering their ass on this one, delaying just enough so that it was physically impossible for anyone, anywhere to get an "old" mini from a retail location after the update is official.

Of course this really shouldn't be an issue. 1) The "old" minis will still be in the old packaging, so you get what you paid for. 2) Retailers always have old stock at the same price even though something new is available (look at the recent iPod mini vs. iPod nano scenario- Best Buy here had minis for sale at the original price for about three weeks after the nano was introduced).

Still really confusing... In an ideal situation, this is simply a stop-gap measure to clear out the remaining mini stocks and G4 chips in anticipation for something new to come... see rampant stupidity on this here

But probably is just a way to avoid the buyback of old stock.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-11-02, 06:40

They might just think that this news would be distracting from the news we already got, and at the same time look a bit pale...?

Still very very strange...
Sarek

Send a message via MSN to Sarek  
2005-11-02, 08:01

We've had all the announcements for new products. Now let's get the Mini upgrade announced and maybe include Front Row please.

I have waited and waited and waited and now want my upgraded Mini.

Please....

The needs of the many......
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-02, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
I would suppose that Apple is just covering their ass on this one, delaying just enough so that it was physically impossible for anyone, anywhere to get an "old" mini from a retail location after the update is official.

Of course this really shouldn't be an issue. 1) The "old" minis will still be in the old packaging, so you get what you paid for. 2) Retailers always have old stock at the same price even though something new is available (look at the recent iPod mini vs. iPod nano scenario- Best Buy here had minis for sale at the original price for about three weeks after the nano was introduced).
The problem is, the updated minis are in the 'old' packaging as well. Even the bottom of the mini units list the old specs. So once the new specs are made official, you'll have minis that meet the new specs in boxes that still list the old ones.