Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Sunflower iMac Intel Upgrade Challenge

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sunflower iMac Intel Upgrade Challenge
ericarthur

2006-07-22, 05:33

Hey,

I have an iMac G4 first generation and while I love the machine to bits, it is starting to be just that little bit too slow. I've looked and while you can get a CPU upgrade to 1.35Ghz, it won't really cut the mustard in this new dual core world of bootcamp and universal binaries. So I was thinking, here's a challenge for the technically gifted out there (here?) in cyberspace...

Let's find a way to put a Mac Mini into the housing of my iMac. From looking at the iMac, the mini would fit inside it easily enough, so essentially, the main problem looks to be getting the video to play through the panel and lining up the ports on the back with the Mini, which doesn't sounds tough. If this could be done, I'd be happy to essentially pull both the Mini and the iMac apart (my technical knowledge is poor, but I'm usually pretty good at taking things apart and making them go back in one working piece, having already upgraded the HD in the iMac.)

Any ideas? Feedback?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-22, 05:55

I don't think the iMac uses DVI to connect to its screen, so you'll probably have to build an adapter.
ericarthur

2006-12-25, 17:10

How would I go about making this adaptor?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-12-25, 17:39

You can start by getting a degree in electrical engineering.

No seriously. With the iMac being an all-in-one with a proprietary internal video connector, there's really no way you're going to get this to work unless you know a great deal about this stuff. It's an entirely different matter to do a simple case mod, such as putting a Mac Mini in a G4 Cube housing.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-25, 17:42

You could try this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=224698

I know its a rival, but whatever.