Your eBay strategy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Your eBay strategy
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-08-16, 07:07

Is there a thing on ebay where you can get the postage and the total together in one figure when you are browsing.
For example; looking at itrips;

11.97; 6.99 postage
or
12.97; 5.99 postage

from same seller. bastards.

I'd rather just see all the totals inc postage when I'm looking, make it much easier to find the actual cheapest.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-08-16, 07:22

I try to make the page look good relating to the product. Wish I still had the page I used to sell my ER-6i's, but this is from my paintball gun. http://swigg.net/tippmann/
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-04, 23:30

Bump because I just put my iMac on eBay.

It's a five-day auction. I'm really worried, though, 'cause it ends on Saturday...and the free iPod promotion ends the following Saturday. So I'll almost certainly miss it.

My dad is so annoying. He didn't think I should eBay it, even though he's completely ignorant of the whole situation. So he delayed me for weeks - he "lost" his camera, and he "forgot" his password. (He never, y'know, talked to me about it or anything - that would be too responsible. He'd rather manipulate me and hope I don't knotice.) So my dad might have ruined a key part of the deal for me...and then he'll blame it on me for making the "mistake" of selling it.

Can I shorten the eBay listing to 3 days? Should I? Thursday night isn't the best time to end an auction...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-15, 23:32

Doublebump.

I'm having PayPal problems. I didn't say anything about accepting PayPal, but the winning bidder insisted on using it, which I guess I could understand (although I don't know why they'd bid on an auction that doesn't list PayPal as a payment option). So, my dad sets up a PayPal account. He promised me I'd have the money on Tuesday or Wednesday, and it's Friday night and still no dice. And I have a feeling they won't deposit it on weekends.

So, basically, I just lost $180. (I guess my sister will end up with the new iPod nano, because I'm not going to get any money back on the old one.)

I'm sure that the balls in my dad's court, and he has to do something and doesn't know it, because if it came down to the technical ineptitude of a multinational corporation or my dad, I wouldn't bet against my dad. Maybe next Wednesday or so he'll finally call them and realize that he didn't finish setting up the account or something.

And he doesn't even care. "Oh well, what's $180 to Josh...he has more money in his savings than I do, anyway." (True.)

I don't want to make this a "rag on my dad" thread, because I know some of you are parents and are thus automatically skeptical whenever a "kid" talks about his dad. But still...I'm more than a little upset.

At least it was a mail-in rebate, and not an instant one. If it was an instant rebate, I would have planned all my finances around getting it. Ouch.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-15, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Doublebump.

I'm having PayPal problems. I didn't say anything about accepting PayPal, but the winning bidder insisted on using it, which I guess I could understand (although I don't know why they'd bid on an auction that doesn't list PayPal as a payment option). So, my dad sets up a PayPal account. He promised me I'd have the money on Tuesday or Wednesday, and it's Friday night and still no dice. And I have a feeling they won't deposit it on weekends.

So, basically, I just lost $180. (I guess my sister will end up with the new iPod nano, because I'm not going to get any money back on the old one.)

I'm sure that the balls in my dad's court, and he has to do something and doesn't know it, because if it came down to the technical ineptitude of a multinational corporation or my dad, I wouldn't bet against my dad. Maybe next Wednesday or so he'll finally call them and realize that he didn't finish setting up the account or something.

And he doesn't even care. "Oh well, what's $180 to Josh...he has more money in his savings than I do, anyway." (True.)

I don't want to make this a "rag on my dad" thread, because I know some of you are parents and are thus automatically skeptical whenever a "kid" talks about his dad. But still...I'm more than a little upset.

At least it was a mail-in rebate, and not an instant one. If it was an instant rebate, I would have planned all my finances around getting it. Ouch.
Do you show a record of the payment being made to the PayPal account? Your dad can log in and have the money transfered to his bank account if it is there. So unless you have access to your dad's PayPal account, you are waiting on him.

As a parent myself, I have to say you are right in being bothered by your dad's apparent lack of concern for your matters, namely $180. However, remember that there are many things your dad has to deal with that you probably don't even know. Don't pass a judgment against him until you've talked with him about it. Make ure he understands that there is $180 on the line, but do it respectfully.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-15, 23:54

Can't you use Craigslist or something?

I hate eBay and for selling your computer it doesn't make much sense. Why give eBay a share of the sale?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-16, 00:38

I already eBayed it. I'm happy with what I got for it (especially considering new iMacs came out the week of the auction), I'm just not happy with how long it's taking for PayPal to give me my money.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-16, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I already eBayed it. I'm happy with what I got for it (especially considering new iMacs came out the week of the auction), I'm just not happy with how long it's taking for PayPal to give me my money.
Is your dad willing or able to front the money to you? I'm guessing his accounts might be too tight for that, but you never know.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-09-16, 12:44

Not very helpful in the immediate situation but good idea in the long run:

Set up your own PayPal account. Robo, I think we're the same age, and I can tell you I have my own PayPal account, my own Bank of America account, and my own Bank of America credit card. It just makes things a lot easier, not having to go through your parents regarding financial transactions that have nothing to do with them anyway. Especially considering you're not living with them anymore.

You already have a checking account, I assume, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Thats all you really need for a PayPal account.

About 60% of all eBay users ONLY do PayPal and about 99% can do PayPal. eBay without PayPal is generally a bad idea.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-16, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Not very helpful in the immediate situation but good idea in the long run:

Set up your own PayPal account. Robo, I think we're the same age, and I can tell you I have my own PayPal account, my own Bank of America account, and my own Bank of America credit card. It just makes things a lot easier, not having to go through your parents regarding financial transactions that have nothing to do with them anyway. Especially considering you're not living with them anymore.

You already have a checking account, I assume, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Thats all you really need for a PayPal account.

About 60% of all eBay users ONLY do PayPal and about 99% can do PayPal. eBay without PayPal is generally a bad idea.
I know. I was surprised when I realized my dad didn't have a PayPal account.

The only reason I used my dad's eBay account (and thus, his PayPal account) was that I didn't think people would buy a computer from someone with no feedback (if I set up my own account). But yeah, in the future, I'll be using my own eBay account, my own PayPal account, etc. I have my own checking account - I'm not that dependent on my dad (although I think sometimes he wants me to be). And I accidentally got a credit card, too (long story), so I'll probably use that sometime to build up my credit.

And I do live with my parents, although that will hopefully change soon. My college doesn't have dorms, and I'm obviously not going to get an apartment until I find a job in my new city first. Which is taking longer than I expected...

Anyway...did I call it or did I call it? My dad told me last night, "Uh, I didn't realize you had to ask for them to deposit the money from Paypal into the bank...but it's okay, I just asked them to." Yeah, and who wants to bet they're not going to deposit it on a Saturday? My dad just cost me $180.

If they say that we'll have the money on Monday, and Thursday rolls around, maybe we should check to see if there's something we need to do to get the money, hmm? And the most infuriating thing is, I told him that. And he told me to "just be patient."

Yeah, that's why I don't rely on him for anything if I can possibly avoid it.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-09-16, 14:09

So, I am a little confused. Exactly what is going on? Why hasn't the money gotten into your Dad's PayPal account? Or if it is, why can't he deposit it into his bank account? Or if he will, whats the big deal on waiting for a few days?

Also, your college doesn't have dorms???? Where do you go to school?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-16, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
So, I am a little confused. Exactly what is going on? Why hasn't the money gotten into your Dad's PayPal account? Or if it is, why can't he deposit it into his bank account? Or if he will, whats the big deal on waiting for a few days?

Also, your college doesn't have dorms???? Where do you go to school?
The money is in my dad's PayPal account. It was all along, but he didn't notice, or something. He didn't know that you had to do something to have the money deposited into his bank account. The big deal with waiting a few days is that the Cram & Jam iPod mail-in-rebate ends today. I was going to use it to get my sister an iPod nano. That rebate was a pretty big part of making the whole upgrade make sense - $180 is a lot of money to a college student.

As for my college, I'm taking my generals at CCSN (a community college, but the third largest in the country) and then I'm transfering to UNLV's film program. But my parents have been unusually controlling and manipulating lately...it's as if they suddenly realized that I could leave in a few months, and they apparently decided that they had been too lax all my life, so they feel they have to "whip me into shape" in these last few months to make up for it. In fact, that's basically what they told me they're doing.

So I think I'm going to go to UNLV next year, not two years from now. Yeah, it'll be more expensive, but the thought of not taking any film classes for the next two years (and just taking generals) bugs me. I don't want college to be like high school all over again. In high school, I was taking pointless classes to get a pointless person to sign a pointless piece of paper saying that I had enough pointless knowledge to finally pursue my dream. And now, college feels like the same thing all over again. Plus, it's getting harder to live with my parents - I think my dad wants me to be dependent on him, because he's still kinda dependent on his dad.

This is kinda going off-topic, but my older brother really wants me to move back to Minnesota with him. He was kinda a deadbeat for a few years after high school (he started college, but dropped out right away...he rented a house with a bunch of other party animals...he kept on coming up with these get-rich-quick schemes...he had a different girlfriend every two weeks, etc.), but I think he's getting more serious about life now. (He got booted out of his old house, so he's been staying in the apartment of an old friend of mine, and I think that's been good for him...although probably not as good as being homeless for a few weeks would have been.). Still, he's hanging all his hopes on getting this job at a post office, and he's convinced that he will, and then he'll have no money problems ever again, or somthing. So he says that if I moved back to Minnesota, I could stay with him for a while. "You gotta do it, man. Everybody misses you." Which is true (I hope) but I can't help but feel that moving to Minnesota would be a pretty large step backwards. I liked my friends there, but I don't want to let them drag me down, like they dragged my brother down. I'm not going to try and be a high school student forever...so I told him that "I'll think about it," but I'm really not. Right now, the most important thing to me is my filmmaking, and I can't help but think that moving back to Minnesota would be a step in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Robo : 2006-09-16 at 15:30.