User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Advise on MBP please..

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advise on MBP please..
Splutterbug

2006-11-27, 09:56

Hi guys, Making my purchase this week and am definitely going for a MBP but which one?

I know everyone says what are you going to be using it for, so.... I'm buying for day to day stuff web browsing, word processing, video encoding etc.., but I'm working as a promo maker and the world is ditching high end expensive edit suites and going with low cost final cut pro's so being able to learn FCP would really help me, one MAJOR station in the UK is exclusively Final cut pro now. It would also be good to run photoshop, and have a play with After effects.

So here's my question the only real difference between the low end and the high end 15'' is the video ram and the processor, do I need a 256 video card or would a 128 suffice, also the last PC I bought was in 2001 so I don't upgrade often I want to future proof as much as I can. Everything I read about video card talks about gaming and nothing else what other things really use a video card.

Hope you can help, T
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-27, 10:23

I thought that it was the processor that was important for the ability to do video editing, rather than the video card. So if that was the case I would go for the lower one, and then maybe put the extra money into RAM which would be more helful for your needs.

Is it Channel 4?
Splutterbug

2006-11-27, 10:33

From what I've heard ITV have got rid of all their avids and put in FCP's, I'm doing stuff for the BBC and they are getting a few Final cut pro's in next year. Seems like the way everything's going. My bank balance would be very happy witht the lower spec machine but I don't want to regret my decision further down the line so lots of research for me
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-11-27, 10:35

Cool. You doing anything interesting for el BBC? Or is it on the QT?
Splutterbug

2006-11-27, 10:37

Ads for programmes so some stuff good, some stuff slightly more painfull
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-11-27, 10:39

cool. Good luck with the work, although, in a career-ruining statement, the BBC puts out a lot of Programme ads now.
Splutterbug

2006-11-27, 10:43

It's those bits between the ads i don't get. what do you call them.... Programmes that's it
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-11-27, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutterbug View Post
It's those bits between the ads i don't get. what do you call them.... Programmes that's it
Haha, the advertisers mantra.
Splutterbug

2006-12-04, 11:38

Well it's ordered, strangely my wife convinced me to go for the more expensive one as she wants to play games so dillema over.

Now however I have a different problem, when I or any friends I have buy a PC the first thing I do is get them to download a firewall, an anti-virus programme, and anti-ad ware programme etc etc..

So what do I need to keep my mac safe and running well, I'm assuming the whole macs don't have viruses thing isn't really really true or does OSX do it all for me? Also is pages up to the task of word and are they compatable with each other. Can I type something on word at work email it to myself, open in pages make changes email it back and open on Word?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-04, 12:22

No, Macs do not have any virus's. Full stop. At the moment anyway, and when one does come out into the open, Apple will more than likely patch it incredibly quickly.

Yes, for the most part, Pages is compatible with Word.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-12-04, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
virus's
That makes even the Queen's English cry.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-12-04, 13:16

At least he didn't say virii.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-04, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
At least he didn't say virii.
Not this again.

(It's correct. )