AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

DreamHost is a good host, ya?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
DreamHost is a good host, ya?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-28, 19:06

OK, so...now that I have some domains (including my precious three-letter one ) it's time to find a place for them to live. I've heard good things about DreamHost in the past, and I just wanted to make sure they haven't gone downhill since then. I know they're slowly reducing their storage and bandwidth from their famous 200 GB/2 TB deal, but that's OK, because once you sign up they increase it just as fast, and at the end of a year I'll be back at 200 GB. Yes, I am paying for a year all at once, which I normally wouldn't do but I can get a whole year for $23, and that seems like a deal to me. I'll even get a free domain registration out of the deal - I'm building quite a collection, it seems.

So...is everything kosher with DreamHost? I like that they've gone green in recent months, and the price is...good. I just hope their uptime hasn't plummeted or anything. Oh, and is the one-click WordPress installer as simple as they claim?

Thanks in advance <3 <3

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-28, 19:11

There was a stretch where their email servers were horribly unstable but that's been 6 months now and I haven't had a single problem since. Wait, that's not true... There was also a time one particular site was really slow. I mean REALLY SLOW. Turns out someone had a rogue process running on that server and once they killed it, all was well. That may have been before the email thing. I can't remember.

All in all, I'd recommend them. When I got my one and only original article front paged at digg, it actually held up! And there was audio on the page and everything. I've re-upped for a second year at their usual rates, too.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-06-28, 19:28

I really like Site5 (110GB, 5TB for $5). They do me very well. I've had friends that were *very* disgruntled with DreamHost. Admittedly, they were trying to run Rails... but I run Rails on Site5 with little trouble.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-06-28, 19:34

I've been with them since March and all has been good, though what I have isn't very intensive.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-06-28, 20:56

I'm actually considering going BACK to Dreamhost. Their old Web panel didn't work very well with Safari, but I hear their new one does. On top of that, my eMail accounts from Surpass Hosting have never quite worked right...

So yeah, thumbs up for Dreamhost.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-06-28, 21:32

I read somewhere that Dreamhost was hacked recently. I will try to find the link.

I think it was actually related to one of their control panels. Not sure if it was the old or new one.

Gruber talks about it, and linked to this article: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2007/...curity-breach/

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-06-28, 21:51

Surpass.

I've never had any problems with mail, though. You might have been on an older server.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-06-28, 22:08

I've been hosting 6 sites with Dreamhost for 2 years and have never really had a problem that lasted for more than 2 days (and that was when they had an email issue).

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
Jerman

2007-06-28, 22:44

I have been with them for over a year, and am incredibly happy. Right when I first signed up, there was a weird issue with email, and some downtime, but since then it has been pretty rock solid. I love being able to go to dreamhoststatus.com to check out the state of everything, and they generally warn when there will be a short outage etc.

In regards to them being hacked recently, they were not alone. A bunch of other (but most likely smaller) hosts were as well, and they have at least claimed they are putting other security measures into place. Overall I personally was very satisfied with how they handled the whole thing. But then again I was not on one of the hacked servers...

I am using about 60, maybe even 65 gigs of space between all 20 or so of my domains (And about 4 active sites, one with a ton of traffic), and I have nothing but good things to say about the speed and such, and I will be the first to admit that the SQL calls I use are not optimized in any shape or form. I run a few active cron processes, one of which is an automated backup script, and it saves a zip archive on the server, and also sends it via ssh to my server at home.

SO, yeah, no complaints by me, especially given the price. And I have been paying the 20 a month for a "developer" account or whatever they call it, and still feel it is worth every penny. So for 23 bucks, you are getting one heck of a deal.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-06-29, 00:23

I haven't had any trouble, although I use it mostly for email and a few low-traffic sites..

Recommended!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-29, 02:16

I signed up. I'm all, OMG my site is online.

mog.me.uk

(It's just a "coming soon" page. But it's a "coming soon" page I'm damn proud of. )

Thanks for the input everyone <3 <3

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-06-29, 02:48

Hang on, sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else, but don't you live in Vegas? That isn't in the UK last time I checked... what's with the ".uk"?

Also, what's the story behing "mog.me"?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-29, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Hang on, sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else, but don't you live in Vegas? That isn't in the UK last time I checked... what's with the ".uk"?

Also, what's the story behing "mog.me"?
I do live in Vegas, but I wish I lived in the UK. (I'm sorta planning on moving there in the distant future.) Also, there isn't yet an appropriate US domain or subdomain for personal pages or blogs, which is what .me.uk is. "Mog" is my moniker at most other websites, so when I saw that mog.me.uk was available, I kinda...jumped on it.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-06-29, 04:06

Well there is ".me.us"... but that's for Maine...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-06-29, 10:29

I just use .com
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-06-29, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I just use .com
Corporate bastard.
noleli2

2007-07-26, 17:08

So, while it's been fun to have an old PC running Linux to use as a server (not really hosting anything; mainly for experimentation), I think I'd like to get a domain and sign up with a real host. Dreamhost seems like they offer the most features for the price of any of the discount hosts (Subversion!), so I think I'll go with them.

I saw that they have a pretty nice referral program, so I might as well try to help out my fellow Mac users. Anyone want to PM me a promo code? The best deal wins!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-26, 17:13

You could use the APPLENOVA code. Though, it's not really a great deal.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-07-26, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I signed up. I'm all, OMG my site is online.

mog.me.uk

(It's just a "coming soon" page. But it's a "coming soon" page I'm damn proud of. )

Thanks for the input everyone <3 <3
Augh! My eyes!
noleli2

2007-07-26, 17:16

That helps support the boards? Sounds like a good cause to me.

Now I just have to decide if I really want to pay two years in advance....
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-07-26, 17:17

I've been very happy with hostgator is anyone cares
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-26, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Augh! My eyes!
That's not the coming soon page. That was a countdown to HP7 I made so my friends and I could, um, check the time remaining from our mobile phones. I just haven't taken it down yet because I'm in Minnesota and my compy isn't.

It had to be gold and red, for Gryffindor.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-26, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
That helps support the boards? Sounds like a good cause to me.
It helps my bottom line which indirectly helps the boards.