AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Lightning cable from someone other than Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lightning cable from someone other than Apple
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-22, 20:21

So I'm needing to stock up on cables and I don't like paying Apple's prices. While many times it's worth it just for the true quality of Apple's products, I'm not so sure that's the case for the cables. Plus they don't have a long Lightning cable.

So, what kind of cable do you buy? How has it held up for you? Got a link to the one you got?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-07-22, 20:34

For cheap cables and such, it's hard to go wrong with Monoprice. They've got Lightning cables from 4 inches to 10 feet in length, and they're all Apple-certified.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-22, 20:48

Monoprice! Always Monoprice!

I ordered one from Monoprice the day I got my 5S so I could have a spare cable at the office that I use maybe once a week. It's perfect. The quality is just as good as Apple's.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-22, 20:56

Third vote for Monoprice here.

Hey Turtle they have some pretty cool braided Lightning cables at Bed Bath & Beyond right now. Nice long cables in colors like black, white, red and aqua. I think they're about $7 or so? Definitely an unexpected source, check it out.

(just looked on their website and don't see them)

If you need I can post photos of mine.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-07-23, 08:01

4th vote.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-07-23, 19:31

Fifthteth.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-23, 20:14

See, what's funny is that I got to Monoprice for my normal AV/network cables. I just remember there being a bunch of talk about how important real lightning cables were and that the Chinese rip-off failed constantly and such. I guessI should trust the MFI thing then. At least from Monoprice. Thanks guys.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-23, 20:35

Seriously though, if one of you cats could go by Bed Bath & Beyond and look at the braided cables they have at the checkout... I think it looks awesome!!!

And it was cheap!!

And it SEEMS to work.... so far?

But my 10 foot long one?
That came from Monoprice

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2014-07-24, 02:14

If you subscribe to "DailySteals" this one pops up every couple of weeks for 8 bucks. I don't really need another Lightning cable, but I'm always tempted by this thing. Because 10 ft & 8 bucks.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-07-24, 02:38

A 10 foot lightning cable? The wall plugs/USB hubs in your place must be well hidden behind stuff to need that much length! Then again, there are times when I'm recharging my iPhone and need to talk on the phone, so having a longer cable would be nice...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-24, 12:32

It's called "laying in bed with your device while it charges".

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-24, 13:10

^^^
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-20, 19:29

Monoprice has free standard shipping site-wide this weekend. A great time to buy cables if you need them!
Wrao
Yarp

2014-09-27, 15:31

I bought an external battery pack for travel and I've found that it's also become a nice solution for the 'laying in bed' problem, much nicer than trying to have a longer cable or an extension cord or whatever. Not that this directly addresses the issue of looking to get more cables or whatever, and a good external battery is $50+ but still, I think they're useful things to have in general for a lot of reasons and the 'laying in bed' bit is a perk.

(another perk, with the introduction of 'hey siri' is that I can plug my phone into the external battery pack and have portable 'hey siri' capability)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-27, 21:25

I have a really great battery pack by Anker (sp?) that will charge the phone twice.... pretty awesome.

But still, having it plugged into the mains means that my batt pack is probably charged up when I go to grab it.

Funny how we all have our own tricks and techniques!!

Captain Drew on Twitter