AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Die MS Outlook Die (for PC)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Die MS Outlook Die (for PC)
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-04-16, 07:22

Well I have successfully managed to destroy my Saturday night by playing with Outlook.

Some of you may be aware that I got a new PC recently (all the better to fold with).

Included on this machine was the latest version of Outlook, meaning that my old Outlook files were no longer valid.

Following the instructions I created a new .pst in the new format and then used the import function to ressurect my old archive of the past two years. Thinking all is well I decide to archive my newer files to this newly created .pst.

However being MS all it wishes to archive is folders, not the files, just the folders.

I am now two hours into this mess. I have sent multiple feedback forms to MS venting my frustration to alleviate some of the stress. My current technique is to move the new .pst to the desktop and then use the Archive funstion to create a new .pst when it can't find the new one. Doing this allowed me to archive a folder (and its contents!!!!) to the newest .pst. Now I am importing the older newer .pst into this .pst.

Fingers crossed.......

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 07:41

Arse Monkey!

Still dead

EDIT: Going to bed - had enough. Seems to be that Outlook has a very screwy way of archiving files. I set a date for files to archive. Some files, some do not.

At least I have managed to push 100MB to my archive tonight to keep the SA off my back, but it seems if I try to archive a folder with many subfolders Outlook just throws all its toys out of the cot, and I have to go inside each one an perform an archive in there (and yes I have subfolders as well selected)

Last edited by _Ω_ : 2005-04-16 at 07:54.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-16, 10:00

Have you tried importing our files into Thunderbird?

(Note: I don't have a lot of experience importing from Outlook to Thunderbird, but the few times I've done it it went smoothly.)

Unless you need the scheduling features of Outlook, you should give it a try.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2005-04-17, 01:50

Thanks Brad, do know about Thunderbird but am not really into such a dramatic chnage and I am not sure how the powers that be would like such a move.

Now that I have managed to clear 100MB from my inbox it buys me some time. Everyone look out for a "bump" in a month when I have to go through this torment again!