AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

WSJ Reports "Apple Phone" to be a Cingular Phone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WSJ Reports "Apple Phone" to be a Cingular Phone
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-01-08, 22:28

The article, covered by TUAW, says that Cingular and Apple have reached an agreement on a joint phone deal and could announce as early as tomorrow. As far as rumors go, I have to give some credibility to the Wall Street Journal. I guess we'll see what happens.

Link: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/08/wsj-r...deal-on-phone/

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-01-08, 22:44

Yeah I just got this in an email from the WSJ. I was surprised that this was coming from the WSJ and I was upset that it said cingular as I currently am stuck with Verizon. Damn! I hope this isn't all true and that I can some how get the phone if it is ever released!

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-01-08, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Yeah I just got this in an email from the WSJ. I was surprised that this was coming from the WSJ and I was upset that it said cingular as I currently am stuck with Verizon. Damn! I hope this isn't all true and that I can some how get the phone if it is ever released!
At least Verizon is a GSM Network. If it turns out to be a Cingular phone, there's a chance you may be able to get an unlocked version.

I, however, am locked into a CDMA contract.

SpecMode
Wait what

2007-01-08, 22:47

Sonuva...well, damn. I just re-upped my T-Mo contract about four months ago.

Well, before I get too disappointed, we'll still have to wait and see if this thing is even announced tomorrow.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-08, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
At least Verizon is a GSM Network. If it turns out to be a Cingular phone, there's a chance you may be able to get an unlocked version.

I, however, am locked into a CDMA contract.
Verizon is not GSM. It's also CDMA. Sprint and Verizon are the 2 CDMA providers in the US.

Majost

2007-01-08, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Verizon is not GSM. It's also CDMA. Sprint and Verizon are the 2 CDMA providers in the US.
Oh, duh. Thanks. I always get them all confused.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-08, 22:54

Quote:
Oh, duh. Thanks. I always get them all confused.
I was going to do a "t,ftfy" on you, but you SO screwed up, it was unfixable.

Majost

2007-01-08, 22:55

Ahaha. I showed you.

Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-08, 22:57

I dont know if i should be happy or sad

+ = Iphone rumor

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-01-08, 22:58

Quote:
If it turns out to be a Cingular phone, there's a chance you may be able to get an unlocked version.
Something tells me that if this is true, and not some sort of Moto Rocker 2.0, then the deal would mean it'd be Cingular/ATT exclusive for a period of time before any "unlocked" versions start popping up.

I'm a Cingular subscriber and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've always been in the camp that, if the "iPhone" were ever to arise, it should be some sort of unlocked, non-carrier linked phone. It makes sense for both parties in that Cingualr get's an exclusive and Apple get's a sure integration into the market with a guarantee that the features they put in said phone work with the carrier. On the other hand, an exclusive deal locks out a large number of potential customers. Like I said, I have mixed feelings.

All that said, who knows if it's all for real.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter

tupacinla

2007-01-08, 23:07

damn, i'm locked down with sprint :'(

there's gotta be a way!

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2007-01-08, 23:16

Honestly, I just don't think a phone covers all the hype Apple is building up for tomorrow.

And I'm off to bed.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-08, 23:19

Well, at least I'll be able to get an unlocked version, although I'm sure Cingular won't have permanent exclusivity, anyway.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-08, 23:27

That's too bad. No cell company I've ever used has shown more unethical billing and customer service practices than Cingular / AT&T. They were truly awful. Had to make spread sheets of my calls to prove they were padding my bill / call time, and they still gave me a hard time about it. Cingular sucks.

Verizon has been a much more reliable service billing-wise, and at least as good phone performance wise.

...into the light of a dark black night.

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-08, 23:42

Looks like it's time to add the "Wall Street Journal" to the ApplePhone prediction credibility list. (Link courtesy TUAW).

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-09, 00:19

Seems the New York Times has faith in Steve too, though they didn't stand firm. Strong suggestion is a better description.

Mid-way down the article.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-01-09, 00:27

How much can I sell my 8525 for???!? Shit. If the "iPhone" is nearly as good as these rumors sound, I'm going to have some 'splainin' to do to the old wifey.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-01-09, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
How much can I sell my 8525 for???!? Shit. If the "iPhone" is nearly as good as these rumors sound, I'm going to have some 'splainin' to do to the old wifey.

Guess it's a good thing I waited. Not that anything is official yet. We'll have to wait to see what Drew comes back with after sleeping the the plastics guy.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

davidbaldwin

2007-01-09, 02:43

I still have a ROKR....
so, I if I want the 'discount' with the contract I have to wait until June...fun...

-Baldwin
P.S. I still think that Apple will be an MVNO through Cingular and offer and unlocked phone that will work on their service or anyone elses....

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaldwin View Post
I still have a ROKR....
so, I if I want the 'discount' with the contract I have to wait until June...fun...

-Baldwin
P.S. I still think that Apple will be an MVNO through Cingular and offer and unlocked phone that will work on their service or anyone elses....
No chance. If they went the MVNO route, the phone would NOT be unlocked. There's a huge expense involved in MVNO operation, and there's no way they'd allow people to NOT pay them back for all their work. If they went MVNO, you would only be able to use the phone on the Apple network.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-09, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
That's too bad. No cell company I've ever used has shown more unethical billing and customer service practices than Cingular / AT&T. They were truly awful. Had to make spread sheets of my calls to prove they were padding my bill / call time, and they still gave me a hard time about it. Cingular sucks.

Verizon has been a much more reliable service billing-wise, and at least as good phone performance wise.
Funny, my wife & I had the exact opposite experience. Wifey went with Verizon on a 12 month contract and they didn't get a single bill right during that whole year. Not a single one! She had to call every month to get her charges corrected. Now we have Cingular and with the rollover plan we have about 10 zillion minutes banked. Haven't had any problems with their billing in over 2 years and their service is more solid in my home area.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Funny, my wife & I had the exact opposite experience. Wifey went with Verizon on a 12 month contract and they didn't get a single bill right during that whole year. Not a single one! She had to call every month to get her charges corrected. Now we have Cingular and with the rollover plan we have about 10 zillion minutes banked. Haven't had any problems with their billing in over 2 years and their service is more solid in my home area.
I think both carriers depend a bit on where you live, as different regions have their bills calculated at different places.

I sold phones for both companies and saw billing issues for both, but I saw way more Verizon issues than Cingular issues.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Partial
Stallion

2007-01-09, 08:25

I fully believe this. It will likely be a limited-exclusivity deal as Robo stated. Then, they'll come out with a CDMA version after like 6 months of Cingular only or something to that general effect. I can't imagine them leaving such a HUGE market untapped.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 08:43

I'd find it hard to believe they'd make a CDMA version... I have no basis for this statement, I just don't think it'd happen.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-09, 08:49

Well there's a fair number of people that still need tri-mode phones because they live in the sticks and work in or near urban areas.

Bassman: I don't doubt your statement. I guess ultimately the only thing to do (which is what they want, which is probably why the billing BS takes place) is to get the uber-minutes plan that you know you'll never go over with no minute-by-minute charges at any time of day, and pay the extra $15 every month or whatever it is.

They want everyone on the high minute, nationwide plans so they give you an incentive to switch if you have some lesser minutes, combo plan. Pretty insidious but what can you do short of having no cell phone.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-09, 09:25

Actually, I'm on the lowest minute family plan Cingular offers (with rollover and nationwide coverage). Since I call mostly other people with Cingular wireless coverage, my minutes don't get used.

[edit]
On Topic:

Didn't the iTunes enabled phone first appear on Cingular?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-09, 09:29

Well right... that's the other way around it is to always call in network if the calls are free. But that's a PITA because every new business person you meet or acquaintance it's like "uhh, do you use Cingular? No big deal I'm just wondering cuz ya know... I use Cingular and have the network plan".

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-01-09, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Seems the New York Times has faith in Steve too, though they didn't stand firm. Strong suggestion is a better description.

Mid-way down the article.
They get one thing wrong right off the bat in that article, which has little to do with the iPhone rumor directly, except that it throws some cold water on the otherwise deserved skepticism in the article. It says that Apple was early on the MP3 player bandwagon, which isn't true at all. and, for that matter, Apple was way, way late on the iTunes/CD ripping and burning thing too. My point being, the fact that there are already a bunch of similar mini-computer devices on the market now (that similarly have fallen short of consumer interest), and that alone doesn't really preclude Apple from making their own and capturing/expanding the market. I mean, that's not a good reason to doubt the rumor, as doubtful as one should be about it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-09, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Similar here. Actually Cingular was my first - and sole - provider, but I'm happy with them. I've had no billing issues or anything of the sort, and I too have banked an unholy amount of rollover minutes.

Been with them for two-and-a-half years now (summer 2004), so this is good news to me (if the story is true).

arnoct

2007-01-09, 12:46

Confirmed