User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Star Wars, Episode III" title revealed...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Star Wars, Episode III" title revealed...
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-24, 19:58

"Revenge of the Sith".

Let the speculation and bitching commence!

I look forward to it, simply because it's the final one and they can no longer ****-up a classic series after next summer.

Sigh...well, it's GOTTA be better than "The Phantom Menace". "Porky's 2" was better than "The Phantom Menace".

I hope it ends on a good note (the quality and writing, not the plot...which pretty much will have all the good guys getting wiped out).

I want to believe, I really do. I was thinking just the other day how long it's been and how many years these movies have been around, and part of my life. I was eight when I saw the first one. 35 now, so a huge chunk of my life, these movies (and all their offshoots, products, lexicon, etc.) have been present.

All these CGI-laden crapfests I've seen the past four months don't give me much reason to be optimistic, sadly...

We'll see.

As for the title, whaddya think?
Akumulator

2004-07-24, 20:04

FUCK!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-24, 20:09

Great response...and quite insightful.

Feel like elaborating, or just letting such a nugget of wisdom stand on its own?
Akumulator

2004-07-24, 20:17

I guess I shouldn't be suprised. They just seem to get worse and worse. I'm really afraid of what Lucas will do to the THX 1138 Director's cut.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-24, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
I'm really afraid of what Lucas will do to the THX 1138 Director's cut.
In a bit of cross-promotion, Jar Jar is digitally inserted and sings a Bob Seger song, from what I've heard. Then Duvall slits his throat. That's the word going around the 'net...
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-07-24, 20:27

i think lucas is aiming star wars for the level of b-ness he expected the original to be...

its a mad plot to be proven right...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-24, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
In a bit of cross-promotion, Jar Jar is digitally inserted and sings a Bob Seger song, from what I've heard. Then Duvall slits his throat. That's the word going around the 'net...
if only!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-24, 21:05

I got no problems with the title, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I'd rather see as the title.

Episode 2 was leaps and bounds better than episode 1, hopefully that trend continues.

I've heard that they hired special dialog coaches to help natalie portman, and lucas won't be fully in charge of the writing, or even mostly in charge of it, so that's good.

Also, CG has gotten so much better since Attack of the clones and Phantom menace, I'm sure it'll be top notch for Revenge.

Man, Phantom menace's CG was so abysmal, I almost think they should Re do it. I also think they should redo the CG special editions of the original trilogy, I mean, fanboys, accept the fact that the special editions are here to stay, might as well make them look better. That said, I've always thought that the added CG to Cloud City looked GREAT, probably because Cloud city already had that pristine whited sepulcher vibe.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-24, 21:23

I can harding contain myself; only a couple more years before it's on cable.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-24, 21:32

Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi

Yeesh. How about something more creative, Lucas.

Something like Killer Sith From Outer Space!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-24, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
*sigh*

Actually, "Return of the Jedi" was originally titled "Revenge of the Jedi" but the word 'revenge' was deemed too hostile and that it would turn away viewers.

*double sigh*

Lucas Lucas Lucas.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-24, 22:21

Quote:

Something like Killer Sith From Outer Space!!

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-07-24, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
*sigh*

Actually, "Return of the Jedi" was originally titled "Revenge of the Jedi" but the word 'revenge' was deemed too hostile and that it would turn away viewers.

*double sigh*

Lucas Lucas Lucas.
On the other hand, do Jedis by their nature "take revenge"? If not, it makes the original subtitle (or is it a title proper?) misplaced.
trailmaster308

2004-07-24, 23:16

I think the title of Geldings post "hello to our newest member - SATAN" would serve just as well as Revenge of the Slit! I just hope its the masterpiece the first two were......I smell an Oscar.
trailmaster308

2004-07-24, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
On the other hand, do Jedis by their nature "take revenge"?
If they watched the last two movies they will. Hong Kong Phooey on Lucas arse I say.

Last edited by trailmaster308 : 2004-07-25 at 11:27.
Akumulator

2004-07-24, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Episode 2 was leaps and bounds better than episode 1, hopefully that trend continues.
I hope so too. If it weren't for the 30 minutes of senseless loves scense, it wouldn't have been a half bad movie.... except for the clonians or whatever they were called.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-24, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster308
I think the title of Geldings post "hello to our newest member - SATAN" would serve just as well as Revenge of the Slit! I just hope its the masterpiece the first two were......I smell an Oscar.
hey, maybe i should trademark that title before lucas steals it

g
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-25, 01:06

Quote:
Yeah, one was crappy and the other was stupendously crappy.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-25, 01:21

I would say that the script-writing and characters in the first were pathetic, whereas in the second movie they mostly just inexcuseable....
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-07-25, 01:52

Quote:
Yeah, one was crappy and the other was stupendously crappy.
Seriously though, I won't dispute that episode 2 was better than episode 1, similarly, I wouldn't contradict the statement that an enema is preferable to having an open fire hydrant shoved up your bum. Either way though, the recipient gets hosed. It's all hugely disconcerting in this case, because what you really wanted was a massage.

The future is tomorrow!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-25, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster308
If they watched the last two movies they will. Hong Kong Phooey on Luca's arse I say.
Whuzzah? Someone call me?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-25, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd always heard that, upon further thinking, Lucas believed it didn't mesh well with the Jedi "code" or whatever, implying a ruthless, "payback" vibe to an otherwise gallant, honorable group.

Or some such horseshit....

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-25, 07:22

^ that's what I'd heard - Lucas thought that Jedi should not be vengeful.

Btw - if you happen to own an old 1982 pre-release/teaser "Revenge of the Jedi" poster (or the original SpiderMan with the twin towers on it) then you are sitting on a gold mine!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
trailmaster308

2004-07-25, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Whuzzah? Someone call me?
Oops damn comma. I meant the "other" famous Lucas.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-26, 00:40

Okay fine, I'll be the odd man out.
I like the title. It adds symmetry and provides a counterpoint to the first trilogy's final act: "Return of the Jedi". Come on gang, it was always only ever a serial.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-26, 00:56

I got nothing against the title either - I just hope that all the schmaltz and poor dialogue/romance stuff is absent with this release. I want something to rival ESB - now that was *the* SW film imho!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-07-26, 03:04

Hey, at least it beats "Attack of the Clones" - that sounded like some lame 80's slasher flick everyone saw but no-one remembers. Oh wait - so does "Revenge of the Sith." So does pretty much every Star Wars title, for that matter.

I'll try and be excited about it, but I don't think I'll be able to. Not after Episode II.

"And I SLAUGHTERED them...like ANIMALS!!! And not just the men, but the WOMEN, and the CHIIIILDREEEN!!!!!!"

fahlman

2004-07-26, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
"And I SLAUGHTERED them...like ANIMALS!!! And not just the men, but the WOMEN, and the CHIIIILDREEEN!!!!!!"
That was the worst part of the entire movie. But, besides that it was a pretty good movie. A much better way than that cheesie dialog to show his anger would have been to show him kill all of them instead of cutting away to a new scene.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-26, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahlman
That was the worst part of the entire movie. But, besides that it was a pretty good movie. A much better way than that cheesie dialog to show his anger would have been to show him kill all of them instead of cutting away to a new scene.
giving it an R rating and undermining everything lucas stands for
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-07-26, 18:40

I have never asked much from the Star Wars movies, and I have never been dissapointed. I was in grade school when the original came out and have always liked the series.

Mile 1