User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

XP can't see external hard drive connected to iBook (OSX)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
XP can't see external hard drive connected to iBook (OSX)
lumpy

2005-12-13, 00:54

Hey folks - I'm trying to set up my home network so that my mac can see my pc (done), my pc can see my mac (done), and so that my pc can see the external hard drive connected via usb to my mac.

Is there a way to do this? I couldn't seem to find a place on the mac to change the sharing preferences of the harddrive.

Thanks very much for any help...
BFG

2005-12-13, 09:40

Hmmm to be honest not a simple straightforward way that i know off. what happens when you connect it to the PC directly... does the PC see it? i can't imagine the PC being able to see the drive remotely via the mac.

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-12-13, 09:50

Is the external drive formatted in a way that enables permissions or not. You should be able to tell by selecting the drive or a folder within it and pressing cmd-i to bring up the info window.

At the bottom, do you see the permissions bit like you do with your Mac's internal drive?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-12-13, 12:05

I know it's a workaround, but what if you place an alias to the drive somewhere in your shared home folder?
lumpy

2005-12-14, 20:13

Hey folks - sorry for my lack of response here, working 10-12 hour days on an organic farm leaves little time for other things.

I do have permissions on the hard drive ("To read and write").

How do I go about making an alias of the hard drive?

Thanks for your suggestions.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-12-15, 02:17

Just like you would make any other alias.

An alias on the mac would be a shortcut (only better) in Windows parlour. Make sure you select the drive from the desktop or a finder window (so not from the finder sidebar or the dock)

And start dragging it while yu keep dragging it, press down command and option, a small hooked arrow will appear (instead of the normal mouse pointer) With these keys depressed drag the icon to the location in which you would want to create an alias. From the finder you can now browse the item from the alias as the starting point.

There are of course several other ways to make an alias, I suggest you take a look at the file menu in the finder.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
lumpy

2005-12-15, 18:13

Thanks for the help. Soon after I posted, I realized how to do it and meant to edit my post, but the server was taken down. Unfortunately it simply appears as an unassociated file in windows explorer, and I don't think there would be any type of program to associate with it.

Any other suggestions? I wish there was a way to make this external harddrive (300 gb seagate) a simple wireless destination for my music from both computers.(a new ibook and an old xp machine). I'm new to mac, and there are still a few audio things I like the PC for (such as audio extraction), but prefer the mac for (flac compression, mp3 compression).