User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Video Sharing is (almost) here with iTunes 6.0.4!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Video Sharing is (almost) here with iTunes 6.0.4!
halo1982

2006-02-28, 18:04

Footnote on www.apple.com/macmini "Sharing photos requires iPhoto (i.e. a Mac). Sharing music and videos requires iTunes 6.0.4 or later."
Don't know if they mentioned this with the special event, but looks like it's coming. Maybe one step closer to Airport A/V?
gdraynal

2006-02-28, 18:08

That might simply refer to the Bonjour sharing among networked computers that was mentioned and organized through iLife apps?
Partial
Stallion

2006-02-28, 18:43

Anyone else with me that they should add a Video organizing application with searching like iTunes? I like to keep a lot of short films on my computer, and it could potentially be nice as harddrives get larger, dvd burners become stock, and broadband becomes faster.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-02-28, 19:01

um, ins't iTunes only at 6.0.3 right now?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-28, 19:25

Exactly!
nsousa
Liar. Ignore me.

2006-02-28, 19:36

I do.
I hate music mixed with movies in my iTunes.
Apple should create a iFlick app similar to iTunes but connected to a different Movie Store.
It is Ridiculous to have Miles Davis and Jay Leno in the same store.( nothing against Jay Leno , of course)

PS: Why do I call myself Liar and urge people to ignore me ? Because I have a sense of humor,

PPS: Actually, I didn't set that title. The AppleNova staff set it there not because I have a sense of humor but because, well, I am a liar.

PPPS: OK, I set the title, but only because my mom made me after eating her out. She's weird like that.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-28, 19:40

Liar!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-28, 19:53

Ignore him!
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 19:54

Exactly! :P
halo1982

2006-02-28, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64
um, ins't iTunes only at 6.0.3 right now?
That was the point of the thread...Apple plasters iTunes 6.0.4 all over the Mac mini website.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-02-28, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo1982
That was the point of the thread...Apple plasters iTunes 6.0.4 all over the Mac mini website.
now i feel stupid. i would laugh at people that did things like this. i guess there's one in every thread

now the obvious question is, where is it? it can't be Mac mini-only if the new Front Row has Bonjour capabilities that have to communicate with other computers.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 21:41

This could be interesting. What I'd really want to see in iTunes 6.0.4 is multiple library support. That way, I could leave my countless gigabytes of keynote videos and Iron Chef recordings (among other things) on my external hard drive, and have iTunes automatically recognize it whenever it's connected. Not everyone has a gigantic hard drive in their computer, especially us notebook users.

Anyways, regarding the "iTunes shouldn't do videos" talk, it's not too bad of a situation right now. Sure, the name iTunes is rather unfortunate, but it still does a decent job of organizing movies (playback is a different story). I bet Apple could make a really nice movie-playing app, though.
ZachPruckowski

2006-02-28, 21:55

Nothing in software update. but I thought one of the streams said that something would be in software update. Can't remember the exact wording, but I'm almost positive, and it was around the time they were introducing the Mini (I was on a laptop, and had to go to a different building right then) Running 10.4.5 on iBook G4 1.33Ghz.
rasmits
rams it

2006-02-28, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Anyways, regarding the "iTunes shouldn't do videos" talk, it's not too bad of a situation right now. Sure, the name iTunes is rather unfortunate, but it still does a decent job of organizing movies (playback is a different story).
I hate everything about it. I hate that it's still called the "Music Store", I hate that it still says how many songs you have in your library, I hate that the movies are mixed with all my music. It's enough to keep me from buying TV shows from iTunes.

I wish they'd either make it a truely video/music app, or create a whole separate app just for video because what they have now is definitely not working.

Something tells me they keep it this way so iTunes for Windows has the "one app" idea, like when they took syncing out of iSync.
Ghost2

2006-02-28, 22:22

Is there any change of a wireless Bonjour enabled iPod that woud allow sharing between iPods and other devices?
rasmits
rams it

2006-02-28, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2
Is there any change of a wireless Bonjour enabled iPod that woud allow sharing between iPods and other devices?
I seriously doubt an announcement like that would have gone unnoticed.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2
Battery life: six minutes.
johnny5

2006-02-28, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
I bet Apple could make a really nice movie-playing app, though.
Of course there's already Quicktime....
But would Apple alter the Quicktime interface to include a media browser? I doubt it.

Maybe they'll re-organize the iTunes browser hierarchy to include a "movies" or "tv shows" meta-tag that can divide your library above the genre level.
(but it shouldn't therefore force people to browse by genre, because getting a reliable list of genres for my library is impossible)

If there's ever a sister app to iTunes for browsing and playing video content only, it's WAY off.
There's just not enough available to put in your library to necessitate that. Purchased, legal, or not.

---

Also, as far as future versions if iTunes go, I would LOVE to have the ability to sort the album pane chronologically using the "year" metadata.
I've got several artists in my library with more than 10 albums, and I hate being stuck with alphabetical album listings. And I'm not about to go and rename all my albums with the year of release in front of the title. Even if it can be done with applescripts.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5
Of course there's already Quicktime....
But would Apple alter the Quicktime interface to include a media browser? I doubt it.
Oops, I meant 'movie-organizing app.' iTunes, despite its flaws, isn't overly bad. However, there's got to be a better way. Right now the Pane view for videos in iTunes is pretty clunky (not to mention hard to scroll through), and the List view doesn't give much info about what the video is, aside from the not-so-useful iTunes tags. I think a dedicated movie app would have a lot more freedom to organize movies in an interface that wasn't designed with just songs in mind (for example, movie playing requires either opening a brand new window, or playing it in the really inconvenient side pane. Not very nice)

However, if videos are indeed in iTunes to stay, they need better playback control options, such as the floating menu you get in fullscreen mode using Quicktime. For the meantime at least, I'm going to keep organizing my movies in folders and play them with QT/VLC.
johnny5

2006-02-28, 23:46

I completely agree, BlueRabbit.

These issues are sure to be addressed soon, as more video content becomes available. And I have no doubt that Apple will do it with style and efficiency. And seriously, I've gotta have some album pane sorting options soon.....
in8

2006-03-01, 01:08

I think it would be smart for apple to re-vamp quicktime to have a library interface of some kind IMO. Just think of all the people that all ready have quicktime...almost everyone i know has it, mac or pc. imagine hte easily reached audience with just an update!

I really get confused with the audio vs. video stuff--espeically on my iPod because i'll have a song thats the same title as a music video. And you can access some videos from the music menu...bah it hurts my brain sometimes...

Or what if they created an alternate version of quicktime that has a media browsing interface? who knows...

All i know is that something should be done about the videos in iTunes. It works for now but if apple really wants to advance the video aspects, such as full length movies from the onlline store, it needs to be addressed.
rasmits
rams it

2006-03-01, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by in8
I think it would be smart for apple to re-vamp quicktime to have a library interface of some kind IMO. Just think of all the people that all ready have quicktime...almost everyone i know has it, mac or pc. imagine hte easily reached audience with just an update!
They already did that. iTunes uses Quicktime to play all the music, I don't see why they couldn't do the same with video. Then they could have Quicktime Player remain how it is now, simple and un-bloated.
admactanium

2006-03-01, 03:55

i believe that the movies are in itunes now only because itunes is very deeply penetrated into the downloadable content market. think of itunes as basically a trojan horse to get people into downloading video content from apple. i would bet that apple has in mind a certain point at which they will introduce the movie library application. but that point is fairly far away. they need to get people into the habit/addiction of turning only to apple when they need downloadable video content.

asking users to download another application right now for a use that they're probably fairly dubious about isn't going to get them the best market penetration. just sliding it into itunes means that users can be distracted from listening/browsing/buying music to buying video. it's a smart move.

i'll use myself as an example. i'm obviously very receptive to apple's ideas in general. when they introduced videos, i didn't buy anything for about a week because i wasn't sure it was significant to me. but it was there in itunes anyway. eventually i downloaded one thing just to check it out. seemed pretty good. i was intrigued and ended up buying quite a few more videos from itms. eventually i went ahead and bought a 5G ipod since i now had content.

if they had introduced "iflix" rather than "movies in the itms" i probably wouldn't have downloaded the app since i was doubtful. so my curiosity buy would have required more intentional action. i'd have to open a new app (i have itune open all the time) and then search the new store with likely a new interface. somehow it just doesn't seem as appealing and it probably wouldn't have had the same effect on my buying decisions regarding more shows and the video ipod. i would have eventually bought the ipod probably but who knows when? and i likely wouldn't have bought nearly as many shows from the store.

although i do agree that itunes as a video library manager is pretty awful right now. as in, really bad.

Last edited by admactanium : 2006-03-01 at 04:04.
gdraynal

2006-03-01, 07:15

Functionally, I'd like to see the iTMS rotate into the video store and library as in user switching right inside that application, so it seems you're in a different space but the same application is driving both. That would allow for a new name to be associated with the service, from within which iTunes / iTMS could draw consumer recognition to new trademarks.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-03-01, 16:32

My turn to weigh in on using iTunes for video content...

The current implementation is clunky.

However, iTunes is perfectly suited for both music and video. The interaction techniques for library management and playback are nearly identical between the two mediums.

Granted, the interface is tweaked a bit to support either, but user interaction is damned similar. Even though songs are more likely to be actively browsed and switched between, searching, organization, and playback is nearly identical. Audio books and podcasts are good examples of media types that already require a slightly tweaked interface as compared to music.

I say... keep video library-management and playback in iTunes. (Just give it some apple polish to bring it up to snuff)
nsousa
Liar. Ignore me.

2006-03-07, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsousa

PPS: Actually, I didn't set that title. The AppleNova staff set it there not because I have a sense of humor but because, well, I am a liar.

I have a sense of humor, but AppleNova staff hasn't !
Editing a user post and pretend the user posted that himself, is unexcused and abusive. And it's not funny.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-07, 16:28

I don't think we should have an entirely different app just for video playback - that seems unnecesary. (After all, who's going to be listening to music and watching a video at the same time?) However, I think that video playback in iTunes needs to be improved. Perhaps a tabbed interface, with a "Music" tab and a "Movie" tab, could work.

Who knows. Maybe iTunes 7 is just around the corner!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong