AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

A Close Shave

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A Close Shave
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-02, 23:32

No, everything is fine - relax.

I just reordered some replacement heads for my 4 or 5-bladed razor and thought I'd see what everybody else is using these days for their facial shaving needs.

These multi-bladed razors are pretty fine for me, but they're not cheap.

I've read about these clubs where they'll mail you your refills, but screw that stuff - that's just marketing bunkum.

I was able to get purchase the replacement heads for $3.56 each, but even that seems pricey.

Does anybody still use the single bladed cheapo razors? Maybe I should try that again, but these fancier ones sure do feel better.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2014-05-03, 00:02

I've invested in a couple of electrics. One for my skull hair, the other for my face*. Between the two I'm pretty sleek and sexy, but I also need the blades for trimming up stray shit. I just generally buy the 4 bladed whatever. No preference.

* I still have my winter beard. Anna won't let me shave it. She's either gotten weird without me noticing or she all of a sudden likes face hair. Neither of those can be true, so I'm a bit befuddled.

That "dollar shave" teevee thing or whatever it's called is pretty interesting. I may try it for giggles. What could go wrong?

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-05-03, 02:00

I can't say enough good things about buying an old-fashioned safety razor and blades. The shave is better, and the blades are pennies. You have to experiment a bit to find the right blades for you, but now I have my favourite, I'm good to go.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-05-03, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
* I still have my winter beard. Anna won't let me shave it. She's either gotten weird without me noticing or she all of a sudden likes face hair. Neither of those can be true, so I'm a bit befuddled.
She's been replaced by the pod people... aka hipsters.

A few weeks ago I was pushing the edge of beard hair comfort -- mine are needle like and any accidental interaction with them results in some pain on either side -- and when it came time to remove the 'beard' I realized my otc razor (four blades?) was simply a bad idea. I turned to a sharp pair of scissors. It worked enough to get the beard down to the length that I could shave it normally. I don't think I ever felt the need to improvise a facial grooming repertoire because of my general lack of concern about my appearance, but this was approaching mountain man territory and made me rethink how I had gotten to that point.

Nevertheless, I long ago gave up on getting a close shave on a regular basis. If pushed, I will shave against the grain, and accept the ingrown hairs that inevitably result (see needle like hair reference above). This can be somewhat minimized by shaving carefully with the grain under optimal conditions (warm, wet skin, right after a shower), followed by an against the grain shave, followed by a with the grain follow up. My guess is that this procedure ends up pulling the hair back into an appropriate angle with a blunted end which has less of a chance of pushing under the top layer of skin. But it isn't worth it, I think...
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-05-03, 11:23

I've been using Mach 3 disposables. You can get the on Amazon pretty cheap. Sometimes for $2 a piece. They last long too. I've also tried Harrys. They are pretty good and are $2 per cartridge though they can be hard to keep clean.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-05-03, 11:38

I just use the generic plastic crap from Target.

I walked into a shave store in a mall once, saw the $79.99 price tag for a razor and walked right back out...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-03, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
I've been using Mach 3 disposables. You can get the on Amazon pretty cheap. Sometimes for $2 a piece. They last long too. I've also tried Harrys. They are pretty good and are $2 per cartridge though they can be hard to keep clean.
I'll do this next time. I think that 3 blades is enough, and cheaper would be nice. The 37-blade one is just overkill.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-05-03, 11:48

I recommend you just grow a beard.
murbot
Hoonigan

2014-05-03, 16:05

I usually buy disposables. Not the cheapest ones they have, but ones that pivot, I guess they're about $7 for 12 or 14 maybe.

But I said screw it recently and kept my beard. It's probably the longest it's ever been. I keep the shaving strictly to my balls.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-05-03, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I just use the generic plastic crap from Target.

I walked into a shave store in a mall once, saw the $79.99 price tag for a razor and walked right back out...
Yeah, don't buy one there. Take a look on Amazon - you can buy a really nice one for $30-$35 or so, and then the blades are literally pennies - I buy these, which works out at 25c a blade, vs about $2.50 a blade for the cartridge type. So yes, more investment up-front (3-4 times as much) in exchange for a 10x saving on the blades. And a longer lasting razor.

Plus, having a proper razor makes you 12.3% more manly.

Not those single edge ones, though. Those are for crazy people.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-05-03, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I recommend you just grow a beard.
Yup, much easier. Not that having a well kept beard doesn't take work.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-05-03, 22:19

Drew is a co-founder of Dollar Shave Club... I bet you didn't know that.

Mike and Drew were bros in college.

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-04, 07:54

But you can beat the system!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-05-04, 09:47

I knew Dollar Shave Club was a scam the second I visited their site and saw the "6 blade edition". Takes some serious cahones to knock a product in your ad (many-blade razors) and then turn around and try to sell the thing you're knocking.

Drew I hope you will cut ties with this frat-boy douchebag immediately and start a new innovation: landfill-friendly cardboard razorblade handles with real pivot-heads!

...into the light of a dark black night.