iPad 2
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-21, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Just because?
Oh..I don't know...how about movie editing? It's a bit odd when a device that's 5 times smaller is capable of running more demanding software (the iPhone 4 with iMove on iPhone).

I truly have no vested interest in that feature, but I would say that I'd be more likely to edit video on something the size of an iPad over the iPhone.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-06-21, 19:18

But it doesn't have a camera?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-21, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
But it doesn't have a camera?
But it would be so much fun uploading my movies from the computer to edit them on the iPad. Or to record movies with a book sized camera!

Okay, maybe it would be a little fun...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-21, 19:34

I think we will be surprised by how much they upgrade the iPad in a Rev. B. This is Apple's new "iPod" in terms of potential unit sales. They'll keep it fresh and keep it cool, for a long time to come.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-21, 21:39

Yeah, but they don't upgrade their iPods a bunch of times a year either. Folks are right...they might follow the iPod thing on this, sure enough.

New iPads in the early spring, new iPhones in the summer, new iPods in the fall.

Two of those are already well into place, and don't seem to be hurting sales or stifling demand.

Doesn't mean they can't do things with the iPad completely different, but it's way too early for anyone - on either side of it - to be making huge, "yeah, I know it's gonna happen" proclamations.

We'll see when it happens. This fall/holiday season or next spring...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-06-21, 22:13

I think it all depends on how hard the competition is coming on. Apple intentionally held back on the iPhone 4 design until they had to put out a killer new product. If they feel the heat from Android tablets, they *will* move more aggressively. They want to own this market, just like they want to own the smartphone space.

I was talking to a friend when the iPad was first released and she was going on about her boyfriend said that it was lacking this and that thing. My retort was that there is no other company than Apple that could put out something even close to the "ideal" tablet. Yes, the iPad is lacking some stuff, but who else could even come close? If that question is answered, the game will be on. If there is a compelling tablet that gains mass appeal, they'll break from their once yearly cycles.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-21, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, but they don't upgrade their iPods a bunch of times a year either.
They used to. The annual "iPod cycle," as we know it today, really only came into being with the iPod 5G and iPod nano in fall 2005. There were like four different releases of the iPod 4G; they just went crazy with that one.

Even with the first iPhone, I seem to recall that they knocked $200 off the price and discontinued one of the models two months after launch...?

I think they'll mostly stick to an annual upgrade cycle, but if they want to go crazy and throw a FaceTime camera on there in time for the holidays they will. I could see them doing that, this year. No big redesigns or anything, though.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-06-21, 22:17

I see a Facetime camera going on the iPod touch before I see it on the iPad.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-21, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I see a Facetime camera going on the iPod touch before I see it on the iPad.
Really? I kind of think/hope they'll both get it at the same time, at the September event. But that's just me.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-06-21, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Really? I kind of think/hope they'll both get it at the same time, at the September event. But that's just me.
I don't know. I have a really hard time seeing that big of an update to the iPad that soon. I know what I posted upthread, but still.... But I will say that the forthcoming OS convergence on iOS 4.1 would indicate that a new model of iPad might be in the offing sooner rather than later.

Sept would miss a valuable window of sales for the iPad (back to school). So, I dunno...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 11:54

Quote:
The iPad will not be going to a new revision anytime this year. It's ridiculous to think so, they are still shipping the current ones to new countries. and the current version would have not even completed a full Holiday season starting in November.

Best you will see/expect is the iOS4 update in the Fall.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-22, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
The iPad will not be going to a new revision anytime this year.
I'm just not sure what actual factual support you have to base that on.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 12:04

Quote:
The iPad will not be going to a new revision anytime this year. It's ridiculous to think so, they are still shipping the current ones to new countries. and the current version would have not even completed a full Holiday season starting in November.

Best you will see/expect is the iOS4 update in the Fall.
Clearly, the "best" would be a new iPad, since it's already been announced that iOS 4 is coming to iPad this fall.
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 12:13

Basic knowledge of marketing cycles. The iPad was released in the US in March. they are selling a million a month and are still releasing them in more countries. Dropping a new version of a product within 7 months that is selling a million units per month in its current config. IMO is very very unlikely. I have yet to see Apple since the day of the iPod release a new version inside of a year.

No I can't say it won't happen, but for all intents and purposes I will.

It's funny everyone always holding out hope for some big last minute surprise The 3G and 3GS were suppose to have front facing cameras oh and so was the iPod Touch and we've even seen shots of a would-be back with camera. How long has the current iPod Touch been on the market?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-22, 12:28

I'm not "holding out hope for some big last minute surprise" (typing this on an iPad!). I just think it would be awkward for the $299 iPod touch to get FaceTime before the $829 iPad. That's all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-22, 12:33

But for the iPod touch to get FaceTime (basically mobile iChat, right?), that initial connection would have to be made via WiFi (which I kinda expected to be the case from the get-go, anyway). I don't even know why the phone/calling/carrier network has to be involved in this, period.

I know you start a regular call (assuming your best friends and closest relatives have an iPhone 4, of course) and then switch over to the video/FaceTime stuff via WiFi, correct?

Why not just skip the "phone call" part of it and treat it like iChat, but only available on WiFi when using your portable iDevice? Because at that point, yes...the iPod touch could easily join the party (and that's probably what they have planned, but maybe they want to keep that part of it under wraps until the new, redesigned iPod touch is unveiled in September).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-06-22, 12:43

Quote:
Basic knowledge of marketing cycles. The iPad was released in the US in March. they are selling a million a month and are still releasing them in more countries. Dropping a new version of a product within 7 months that is selling a million units per month in its current config.
Counter-point: the iPod nano replaced the second-generation iPod mini less than seven months after its introduction, despite growing mini sales.

Quote:
But for the iPod touch to get FaceTime (basically mobile iChat, right?), that initial connection would have to be made via WiFi (which I kinda expected to be the case from the get-go, anyway). I don't even know why the phone/calling/carrier network has to be involved in this, period.

I know you start a regular call (assuming your best friends and closest relatives have an iPhone 4, of course) and then switch over to the video/FaceTime stuff via WiFi, correct?

Why not just skip the "phone call" part of it and treat it like iChat, but only available on WiFi when using your portable iDevice? Because at that point, yes...the iPod touch could easily join the party (and that's probably what they have planned, but maybe they want to keep that part of it under wraps until the new, redesigned iPod touch is unveiled in September).
It's not clear how FaceTime figures out routes to others' devices, if not through a cellular channel.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 12:48

Quote:

I'm not sure where Apple is headed with that. I'd love to have FaceTime on the next iPad and iPod Touch. And I'd love to see connectivity to standard desktop video chatting. But they were pretty jazzed at their implementation of FaceTime on the iPhone that didn't require people to have another account or membership. If they add this to the iPod touch or the iPad, I don't see how they could implement it without requiring something like that.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-22, 13:18

So, what's the big deal? How many people already have half a million accounts for various sites and services? And if you're an Apple customer who's bought any music or apps, you've already got an "account" with Apple. Use that...they're all unique, right?

People already have AIM, iChat, Yahoo! or other chat set-ups too. People know how to do this. And if you're on Twitter and Facebook 930 times a day (both of which require accounts and a little front-end setup), then you can take two minutes to set up a video chat account on your iWhatever, if it's something you think you'd use and enjoy.

Apple's solved tougher, more complex issues than this. It's doable, I'm sure.

They probably just want to roll it out slow and easy with the iPhone 4, and move on from there if people respond well and keep bugging them about making it more useful.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-06-22 at 13:31.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 15:03

Quote:
So, what's the big deal? How many people already have half a million accounts for various sites and services? And if you're an Apple customer who's bought any music or apps, you've already got an "account" with Apple. Use that...they're all unique, right?

People already have AIM, iChat, Yahoo! or other chat set-ups too. People know how to do this. And if you're on Twitter and Facebook 930 times a day (both of which require accounts and a little front-end setup), then you can take two minutes to set up a video chat account on your iWhatever, if it's something you think you'd use and enjoy.

Apple's solved tougher, more complex issues than this. It's doable, I'm sure.

They probably just want to roll it out slow and easy with the iPhone 4, and move on from there if people respond well and keep bugging them about making it more useful.
I agree that it shouldn't be a big deal. But Apple was rather complimentary of themselves for setting up a system whereby you didn't need some kind of identifier (other than phone number obviously). The only problem with an iTunes account ID is that people often have separate devices on one account. How do you know which one you're getting? As for AIM, iChat, etc. - sure, many people have those. Not all, but many. But you still need to authenticate and turn them on for it to work. I realize that's no hurdle for anyone who's slightly tech savvy, but for people who aren't (grandma, grandpa) it gets confusing.

The way Apple implemented in on the iPhone is so brain dead simple, that you almost don't have an excuse not to use it. And that's why, IMO, Apple will finally get people to use a feature that others have been unable to in the past.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-06-22, 15:12

The fact that this thread is here less than 90 days after release shows the enthusiasm for the product and concept. I think it will be early 2011 at the earliest (probably more like next WWDC) but I'll be standing in the queue to get one. Never buy 1.0 products but I think the 2.0 version will kick ass.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-22, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Never buy 1.0 products
I disagree. I f'ing love my iPad. It's exactly what I needed.

It's perfect for browsing in bed on lazy days when I don't want to get out of bed.

Miko
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Counter-point: the iPod nano replaced the second-generation iPod mini less than seven months after its introduction, despite growing mini sales.

It's not clear how FaceTime figures out routes to others' devices, if not through a cellular channel.
Yes, but the first one was in production for over a year, wasn't it?

It's true I'm not sure how FaceTime will be implemented on the iPad or iPod Touch without a phone app or radio? From what I've seen all the "magic" happens from within the phone app, how else would you establish the bridge to the other device? yes there may be Skype, but Apple would need to have a baked in solution first before they would go to market.
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-06-22, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Never buy 1.0 products but I think the 2.0 version will kick ass.
But was the iPad a true 1.0 product? I mean it's built off of iOS4, Multitouch tech and a SDK that has quickly become the mobile dev platform of choice. Yes the A4 was new, but built on some familiar architecture so....

I know they said the iPad is the "most advanced product they've worked on blah, blah" they say that every time, but I think the iPhone is way more advanced IMO.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-06-22, 16:11

Quote:
I disagree. I f'ing love my iPad. It's exactly what I needed.

It's perfect for browsing in bed on lazy days when I don't want to get out of bed.
+1

And I suppose I'll enjoy viewing photos on it when I actually get a decent camera.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-28, 03:07

This is SO interesting right now....

http://d5.allthingsd.com/20070531/vi...r-part-3-of-7/

My wife is back home for the weekend so I'm on a binge. But I did stumble across a ton of interesting things from that year's D videos. Steve Jobs is freaking enjoying every last word coming out of Bill Gates' mouth because he knows how far ahead of Bill he is. The questions being asked and the replies from Gates clearly indicate that he has no clue in comparison to Jobs, who, if you read his face, you will notice that he smiles and has a look of almost, "I have these things being developed as we speak and I can't wait." It's almost funny.

Especially notice how the iPhone 4 pretty much covers all of the things that Bill Gates believed to be decades away, which actually were only 3 years away...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-06-28, 15:18

This is also an interesting read to go hand in hand with Jobs' take on tablets: http://www.copyblogger.com/pt-barnum-online-publicity/
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-06-30, 21:20

[quote=hmurchison;694682]
32/64/128 GB storage is ideal /QUOTE]

Why do you feel you need 128 GB?
Noel

2010-06-30, 23:29

That much space would be useful for someone with large movie and music libraries.