User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Trackpad & Sleep mode when lid closed does not work on PB17" 1ghz

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Trackpad & Sleep mode when lid closed does not work on PB17" 1ghz
sith_lord

2005-02-21, 12:40

Any remedy to this problem. I have run the latest Norton Systemworks 3.0 and encountered 2 virus defs "trojan.byte". It was 'quranteened' by Systemworks and have been deleted. The trackpad before and the sleep feature had been problems before I bought Systemworks 3.0 and I was hoping that it would remedy the problem. It worked for a couple of days but the problem returned. Please advise

I didn't read the posting guidelines.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-21, 13:05

I'm not sure what the problem is. Could you describe it more thoroughly? And get rid of Norton before it breaks something.
sith_lord

2005-02-22, 20:22

The trackpad option in the systems pref is non existant and sleep mode will not activate when the lid is closed. This problem had began when my PB began experiencing unexpected wake ups from sleep mode when the lid was closed. The LCD screen will come on even though the lid is closed and then the HD will spin from its sleep mode and probably 5 seconds later it will return back to sleep along with the monitor. This will happen every 5 minutes apart from each occurance. I noticed when I had turned off the airport the problem had gone away.

Well that problem still persisted as if the problem crept up from the unussual wake ups from sleep mode to the trackpad not working after a restart. Like I said before the trackpad tab under the system prefs has completely disappeared. It will only reappear after a restart and zapping the paramater RAM. As time progressed, these two unussual problems (trackpad & sleep mode) became a noticable hinderance and all the remedies from zapping the PRAM to turning off airport has no affect anymore.

So I had purchased Norton's Systemworks 3.0 and ran all the tools from "disk doctor", "antivirus" and "speed disk". Diskdoctor ran to some major issues from the Catalog b structure. I can't recall what the specifics were but it had fixed the problem supposedly. Antivirus ran into 2 virus defs "trojan.byte" that were attached to 2 files that had a .zip extension. These files had been quaranteened by the antivirus program and had later been deleted by my discretion. The speed disk only noticed a moderate fragmented disk and defragged the HD. After all the utilites had ran and cleaned the HD. Sleep mode and trackpad were bak to its normal state. So I was reassured the problem had been eliminated, so I thought! When the lid was closed in sleep mode the problem that started it all had reappeared. My PB would try to wake up from sleep mode when the lid was closed but this had happened once and the occurance did not appear again during its sleep. This will happen intially when I force the PB into sleep mode by closing it's lid and after a minute or so the laptop would try to wake up and then shorty afterwards goes back to sleep. Unlike what had happened before which it would wake up every 5 minutes until I found the remedy to this by truning off airport. After running systemworks, this problem occured once in awhile and then progressed to not going to sleep at all when the lid is closed. The trackpad also had a relapse to its non-existant mode. Now I'm just out of any solutions to these probs.

Any advice to remedy this or any utility software out there that you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-22, 20:38

First of all, never use norton systemworks again... it is bad software and could likely make the problem worse.

Second take a look a the console and note any recurring messages that may pop up in there.

What are your security settings? do you have the password prompt come up every time you woke from sleep?

You don't have any viruses... so you can put that out of the realm of possibilities...

What OS are you running and is bluetooth on?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-22, 21:03

Have you zapped the PRAM? I bet you haven't. As a first troubleshooting step, always zap the PRAM.

To do this, restart your computer and BEFORE the chime, press and hold cmd+option+p+r. Hold all 4 buttons until you hear the chime twice more. Release the keys after that and your computer will boot normally. I bet that fixes it.

And, please, for your sanity, remove Norton ASAP.
sith_lord

2005-02-22, 21:05

OS 10.3.8

No password from waking up from sleep mode

Bluetooth is on

Security settings is off

Any utility software you would reccommend other than Norton?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-22, 21:06

Also, for future reference, refer to the stick at the top the forum first. There's a post about the PRAM here.
sith_lord

2005-02-22, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Have you zapped the PRAM? I bet you haven't. As a first troubleshooting step, always zap the PRAM.

To do this, restart your computer and BEFORE the chime, press and hold cmd+option+p+r. Hold all 4 buttons until you hear the chime twice more. Release the keys after that and your computer will boot normally. I bet that fixes it.

And, please, for your sanity, remove Norton ASAP.
I don't mean to be rude but have you read my second post on this thread? I did zap the PRAM. It remedied the problem for only a short while but the problem still persist.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-22, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d
Any utility software you would reccommend other than Norton?
Please read through this recent two-page thread: Essential System Utilities for New Apple Convert?! Pay close attention to our comments on Norton software.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-22, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d
I don't mean to be rude but have you read my second post on this thread? I did zap the PRAM. It remedied the problem for only a short while but the problem still persist.
Not rude at all. I got lost in all the text.

edit: but zapping the PRAM did help, at least temporarily. That leads me to think that you've got something wonking something up after you start up. What have you got installed?

Last edited by torifile : 2005-02-22 at 21:57.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-22, 21:54

Did you check the console? it is in the utilities folder. Check the console.log and system.log-there should be clues in there.