Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Rev. B 15" MBP: linked to Merom?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rev. B 15" MBP: linked to Merom?
Cecilia76

2006-02-26, 04:57

Hallo everybody,

what do you think about the release of next MBP rev? Can it be linked to the release of the new Intel CPU called Merom?
I think that Merom will be available in Sept 2006 so may Rev. B of 15" MBP will come out in Oct. 2006.

What's your opinions?

Cec.

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to
either of you for the rest of the day.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-02-26, 05:22

Hey Cec.,

This was my original guess for the Intel transition:
* PowerBooks announced with Merom chip at WWDC and shipping in Sept/Oct.

Now we've all seen how that went. I think you've got the next gen (Rev B) pretty much nailed with the inplementation of Merom. By that point the pro apps (maybe not Adobe) should be universal, so we should finally have the MacBook Pro on top of the laptop heap once again.

That aside, I expect the iBook to become the Macbook with the Core Duo chip (1.67 gHz) to be announced in the next two months (since when is there no precedence for the two to share the same chips ). Once the MacBook Pros finally get Merom (announced Paris '06, Oct '06 - shipping), I expect the MacBooks to jump up to the the 2.0 and 2.16 gHz core duo slot. At that point I am buying.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2006-02-26 at 05:34.
hobbit.2

2006-02-26, 05:33

With Apple you can never tell the future from the past. But traditionally, for a while, Apple did introduce new PowerBooks routinely in May or September. So perhaps a September time frame seems likely.

As Merom is the next generation notebook CPU from Intel it is also likely to get used as soon as it's available.

When the MBP was announced some rumor sites claimed that it would be worth waiting for the next MBP iteration as many goodies were being held back for the Merom release, including a case redesign.
But you don't really need a rumor site to tell you this as this makes sense if you think about it. Apple surely was under a lot of pressure to get an Intel PB out as soon as possible. Therefore it is reasonable that they would try to have their first Intel release as solid as possible, hence avoiding fancy new features which could make it less solid. Those would have to wait for the next revision.
Roland

2006-02-26, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit.2
When the MBP was announced some rumor sites claimed that it would be worth waiting for the next MBP iteration as many goodies were being held back for the Merom release, including a case redesign.
I agree with that. A lot of people wheren't terrible excited with the MBP, but in my opinion the truly exciting intel stuff is when we'll see merom and intels 45 nm versions.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 14:29

I agree. I think the Merom MBP will be the true next-generation Powerbook we were all hoping for.

But will that be the next MBP revision? Hard to say. I think it's obvious that Apple will use Merom pretty much as soon as it is available, but Apple might give the MBP a speed-bump (to 2.0/2.16 GHz) sometime this summer. We don't know what Apple's Intel upgrade cycles will be like yet, but I think it is safe to say they will stay more competitive now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-02-26, 17:15

Do you all think that Apple will upate the looks of the MBP if/when they update it to Merom? That is what I am waiting for, but I do not even know if that is plausible!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 17:35

It's possible. I'm not sure how much they can change it within their current design philosophy - it's about as sleek and simple as a notebook could get - but it's possible they'll give it a new color or something. (Here's hoping for a BlackBook Pro!)

But seriously, if you're waiting to buy a Merom MBP just because it might look different, you might want to just get a current MBP. Or a life.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-02-26, 18:07

That is just one of the many reasons I am waiting. I am also hoping for battery life improvement, and faster processors with better FSB.
I think it would be so cool if they could make the MBP look like an iPod with either the white top and the silver bottom or the black top and the silver bottom. Probably not possible because of the heat issues with the metal they used on the iPod. But if they could give it a new look like that or even just colors, it would be GREAT!
hobbit.2

2006-02-26, 20:13

I wonder what kind of features Apple could squeeze in additionally if they ever redesign the PowerBook/MacBook Pro shell. If you look at pictures of a disassembled MBP you will realize that there's not much room to play with. 2/3rds are spent on HD, DVD drive and battery. Those won't really get any smaller, thinner perhaps, but not smaller. There's not much room for extra ports.

Two features I hope will make a comeback in the next revision:
- higher screen resolution, back to 1440x960 at least or even higher resolutions as built-to order options
- FireWire 800

It's widely assumed that FireWire 800 will come back in the next revision. Apple had to scrap it only because the current Intel chipset doesn't support it and Apple had to use standard chipsets to get the MBP out as soon as possible. But as the Apple-Intel relationship grows, I'm sure FireWire 800 support can be included in the next Intel chipset.

I would also expect HDMI support to show up soon.

And wouldn't it be cool if the Pro books would have a Bluetooth remote control that could charge and store in the ExpressCard/34 slot? I'm surprised that Apple hadn't thought of that. I presume they did, but as the MBP had to be finished ASAP they went for the tried and tested iMac remote control instead. It's quite possible that they'll set this right in the next revision.

In regards to case color, we know that Steve Jobs loves black. I think it's only a matter of time until we see a sleek black MacBook Pro. Perhaps with some steel or aluminium elements but my bets are on an overall shiny black finish. Although this would be very prone to scratches and finger prints... That would be not good.

Well, Jonathan Ive and his team always come up with interesting ideas, ideas not based on any previous designs like iPods. I'm sure they'll dazzle us again with something completely unexpected.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 20:43

For a next-generation (presumably Merom-based) MBP:

7200 RPM drives could be made standard.
Higher resolution displays could be used if 10.5 supported resolution independence.
Slim 8x dual layer SuperDrives will hopefully be available.
A 17-inch model could be added (if we don't see one sooner).
FireWire 800 could be added.
Blu-ray drives may even be options, depending on when the new MBP bows.

And yes, a black MBP would kick ass.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-02-26, 20:44

When is the next revision supposed to come> Are people thinking by the end of the year along with the Merom processor? In other words, the features you just mentioned would make me buy a MBP immediately; therefore, when do you think these would maybe be implemented?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 20:49

Merom should be available in the third quarter of this year. An announcement at the Paris Apple Expo (September) is possible, although, like the current MBPs, they probably wouldn't be shipping right away.

Keep in mind that everything we've mentioned is speculation. There's no guarantee that Apple will even use Merom right away, much less redesign the MBP - we're just making educated guesses. If you think Merom is worth waiting for, or if you don't need to buy a MBP now anyway, than wait. But don't put off a neccessary purchase for months just because the next MBP might be black.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-02-26, 21:10

I am waiting because these updates would be very useful to me. I would love HDMI output so I could plug it into my HDTV, the Bluetooth remote would be incredible, and the Blu-Ray would be cool too (unless you couldn't burn DVD's and CD's...how would that work?). I have no need to buy right now so I might as well wait till they make some kick ass improvements!
hobbit.2

2006-02-26, 21:30

MACleod, I think that's a good decision. If you can wait, and don't need a new Mac now, then do wait.

Apple is a bit notorious for bugs in first generation (i.e. new) PowerBook models. And I presume that the MBP will be no different. It seems to hold up well in initial reports, but there are a few claiming annoying high-pitched whining/buzzing noises and busted speakers (mostly the right one).

As far as I can tell these issues are no way near as problematic as other first generation issues with previous models, but it does give you peace of mind to know that these teething problems will be fixed by the next revision. Whether that will have all the other nice new features we speculated about, or not. At least they will be more solid and faster.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 21:46

The Blu-ray drive was easily the least likely of all the options I listed. (And expect to pay through the nose for it, at least initially...but hey, if you really want to burn BRDs...)

And the current MBP sports DVI, which should be able to output to HDTVs, too (although you might need an adaptor).

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-02-26, 21:46

Yeah, I was one that was sure that the transition was to start with Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest.

Yonah I thought, at the time, was possibly only going to be used in the ibook and Mac Mini so Steve could keep his shipping by WWDC '06 promise.

I actually hope the Mini comes out this week and the G4 versions get dumped cheap. I just might buy one for the wife if the price is right as a hold over till next year.

My Gen 1 Rec C lime green baby is now seven and it is just a little tired now.

I was one that truly believed that great new PPC products were in the pipeline. What a Crack-pipe-dream.

Mile 1
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-26, 21:48

I remember that...but hey, I count the Rev. C iMac as a great PPC product.