ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2008-04-25, 17:10

Just keep her away from Charlie the Unicorn and you'll be fine
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-04-26, 09:48

Well this isn't really WTF, but how cool is it to track satellites using Google Maps mashup love?!

http://www.n2yo.com/
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-04-26, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Well this isn't really WTF, but how cool is it to track satellites using Google Maps mashup love?!

http://www.n2yo.com/
OMFG ! Thoses things are kinda fast !!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-04-28, 21:58

Canadians be proud!

http://www.quickstopentertainment.co...imated-series/
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-05-01, 21:56

Man tries to pass a $360 billion check.

Come on now, seriously?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-05-06, 09:26

Not for those with vertigo. Pretty awesome hike if not a death walk.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CQTzh7o08Wo
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-06, 17:37

An AN member came across this letter online and sent it to me so I could have a good laugh. I thought I'd pass it on by posting it in one of the *odds 'n' ends* type threads.

He said it's *supposedly* the 2007 PC Magazine Editor's Choice for best web mail letter... or best customer service letter.

Anyway, here is the letter that was passed on to me... regarding Always Maxi-pads.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Thatcher,

I have been a loyal user of your 'Always' maxi pads for over 20 years and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the LeakGuard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts.

But my favorite feature has to be yo ur revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants.

Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my time of the month is starting right now. As I type, I can already feel hormonal forces violently surging through my body. Just a few minutes from now, my body will adjust and I'll be transformed into what my husband likes to call 'an inbred hillbilly with knife skills.' Isn't the human body amazing?

As Brand Manager in the Feminine-Hygiene Division, you've no doubt seen quite a bit of research on what exactly happens during your customer's monthly visits from 'Aunt Flo'. Therefore, you must know about the bloating, puffiness, and cramping we endure, and about our intense mood swings, crying jags, and out-of-control behavior. You surely realize it's a tough time for most women.

The point is, sir, you of all people must realize that America is just crawling with homicidal maniacs in Capri pants... Which brings me to the reason for my letter. Last month, while in the throes of cramping so painful I wanted to reach inside my body and yank out my uterus, I opened an Always maxi-pad, and there, printed on the adhesive backing, were these words: 'Have a Happy Period.'>

Are you f------ kidding me? What I mean is, does any part of your tiny middle-manager brain really think happiness - actual smiling, laughing, happiness, is possible during a menstrual period? Did anything mentioned above sound the least bit pleasurable? Well, did it, James? FYI, unless you're some kind of sick S&M freak, there will never be anything 'happy' about a day in which you have to jack yourself up on Motrin and Kahlua and lock yourself in your house just so you don't march down to the local Walgreen's armed with a hunting rifle and a sketchy plan to end your life in a blaze of glory.

For the love of God, pull your head out, man! If you have to slap a moronic message on a maxi pad, wouldn't it make more sense to say something that's actually pertinent, like 'Put down the Hammer' or 'Vehicular Manslaughter is Wrong.'

Sir, please inform your Accounting Department that, effective immediately, there will be an $8 drop in monthly profits, for I have chosen to take my maxi-pad business elsewhere. And though I will certainly miss your Flex-Wings, I will not for one minute miss your brand of condescending bulls***. And that's a promise I will keep. Always. . .

Best,
Wendi Aarons
Austin , TX
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2008-05-06, 18:59

While I take her point, damn if the idea of having a little F-16 in my pants doesn't seem hard to pass up. Who needs sex when you can get about with a miniature fighter jet in your underwear?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-07, 04:13

Like one of these?

It's not going to be mine, I tell you. It's one of the few survivors from a once grand collection.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-05-07, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Not for those with vertigo. Pretty awesome hike if not a death walk.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CQTzh7o08Wo
Awesome. Thanks.

Turkish Get-Up is a weight exercise where you start on your back with weight held straight up on one arm, then (keeping the arm upright throughout) stand up, and in reverse motion lie back down. This dude gets a little creative with the type of weight.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=G_JlNGC1kk0

OT: anyone happen to know if there's a trick to save a video from Youtube, and how?
euain

2008-05-07, 05:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
Awesome. Thanks.
OT: anyone happen to know if there's a trick to save a video from Youtube, and how?
The Perian website has some instructions for doing this. See the second video on:
http://perian.org/#watch

Last edited by euain : 2008-05-07 at 05:23. Reason: Added explanation
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-05-07, 06:26

So it was really just a matter of downloading the file and renaming it.

I thought Youtube would have somehow locked it, like streaming the video data inside a Flash app. Nice that they didn't!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-05-07, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
So it was really just a matter of downloading the file and renaming it.

I thought Youtube would have somehow locked it, like streaming the video data inside a Flash app. Nice that they didn't!
There is a better way, IMO. There are tons of YouTube downloaders out there that will convert the video to a format that will play on your iPod or Apple TV. Here's my favorite: http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/tubetv/
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-05-14, 01:14

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-14, 10:54

More of the same:1 2
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-05-14, 15:41

Rabbit
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-05-14, 15:56

mmmmm, crab meat.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-15, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Another video by the same artist:

The Control Master

Found it via Boingboing.net
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2008-05-15, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Another video by the same artist:

The Control Master

Found it via Boingboing.net
Dr. Venture?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-16, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Dr. Venture?
What do you mean?

Meanwhile, here's: "What are you doing?!"

Last edited by Mugge : 2008-05-17 at 05:49. Reason: Old link died.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-17, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinKing
If you are sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME on the //city.mass_transit.train and are an //inconsiderate.@$$hole.on_a.cellphone talking in some funky f0reign language VERY loudly as you are on your blue tooth earpiece and have trouble hearing even WITH it shoved into your damn cranium... I WILL LART you.

LART of the Day is as follows:

(1) Put on iPod and blast music right next to her head until she gets irritated, ends her call and asks me in English if I could turn it down.
(2) To which I look at her with a puzzled expression and ask in the form of a question: "Trasna ort féin?" This frustrates her to which she repeats her request much, much, slower, as if THAT was the problem. Even shoving her phone in my face as if my problem was that I could not SEE her phone I then repeat: "Trasna ort féin", nod my head and turn the volume down and proceed to ignore her. Incidentlly, when she shoved her phone in my face I was able to read her number off the screen and the sticker of her wirele$$ provider. *"Trasna ort féin" translates lossesly from Gaelic into English as "Go F*ck yourself.
(3) As F'nugget returns to her loud call, I boot up the might mac and load some 'tools.' Low and behold, I see ONE bluetooth... figuring "what the hell, it probably will not work" I change the name of my device to "//her.mobile.provider + bluetooth updater" and send her phone a request - repeatedly. OMG, $tarFi$h ACTUALLY ended her call and entered the security code into her phone. I now have access to her phone. I'm sure she really did not want all those pictures and music.
(4) Send her a text message from the website instructing her that she needs to "reset her bluetooth ear piece" and included instructions so she would put it in discovery mode. When she follows them, much to my shock... I KNOW I must take this as far as I can. yep, I tie into it and txt her that it worked.
(5) When she places bluetooth on her ear and goes to make a call... I INSTANTLY send Metallica's "Master of Puppets." Fish takes off earpiece and closes it... apparently thinks THAT was the problem. Goes to make another call... opens bluetooth and places on ear... this time she get's "I touch myself." Frustrated... puts it away and starts to make call without earpiece.
(6) While on THIS call, I finish my quest and clear her phone book. Well not ENTIRELY, I did leave her the phone number for an International House of Pancakes restaurant in our city.
(7) This task completed... I spam her with a bunch more webtexts until she hangs up the phone to see what all the beeping and texts are.
(8) Close my stuff and keep typing away so as not to give any hint that I had *anything* to do at all with her issues.
(9) She finishes clearing her texts and then goes to make another call... notices the problem and makes the confussed Fi$hie face at only seeing ONE number in her address book. Closes the phone and sits there quietly confussed. But most importantly... quietly.
(10) My service to the greater good of humanity thus complete, I finish an email, shut down might mac and enjoy the remainder of the quiet until my stop. AS it is not HER stop, I must *ask* her to move a bit so I can get out. I do so by asking in a questioning tone of voice: "Trasna ort féin?" and motioning that I need to move. She allows me to move. I smile and politely thank her by nodding my head and saying "Póg mo thóin." Which loosely translates into "Kiss my ass."

... thank you all and have a WONDERFUL weekend!
http://www.techcomedy.com/text_con.php?type=rule

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2008-05-17, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
What do you mean?

Meanwhile, here's: "What are you doing?!"
The guy in The Control Master looks a bit like Dr. Venture from The Venture Brothers:

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-17, 13:25

Ah, I see. I didn't have any idea that there existed a show by that name. Wikipedia had the dope on it, though.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-20, 16:02

Something Awful has a Comedy Goldmine feature about unconventional bear traps.

Unfortunately their last image fails;

PROTIP: Don't make chess jokes when you don't even know how a pawn and a king moves

PROTIP2: It doesn't get any better if white makes the first move.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-05-20, 16:14

That is pretty damn funny Mugge.

Howeeeever... the white chessmen in the picture aren't labelled and might be pieces, in which case white could certainly trap the black king. (Though the diagonal layout does imply the sketcher intended them to be pawns.) But even if they're pawns, one has to assume there's a white king sitting lazily somewhere else on the board.

The artist's a right patzer in any case.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-05-20, 22:17

Speaking of chess... of Gary Kasparov, flying penises, and serious security guards (video).
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-21, 02:32

Now that I'm thinking about it. The pawn reaching the end of the board would get promoted to any piece of the white players choice. If the only other piece on the board is the white king, then the black king is as good as check mate.

But as the set-up is shown, the black king still isn't trapped, though black might not win the game.

PROTIP3: Chess jokes should show the entire board because chess people are nerds that can't just chuckle at it and get on with their lives.

Here's one of my favourites:

The Perry Bible Fellowship
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-05-26, 14:49

I just saw SPAM®'s official website. Boy, oh boy, have they got some smart folks designing this place.

http://www.spam.com/whatisspam/

Be sure to click through the questions below. Funny stuff!

Also...

WTF?!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-05-29, 08:15

Filibuster Cartoons

You don't really have to offer forfeit when you have your opponent utterly check mate. And don't ask me how the pieces ever ended up like that.

murbot
Hoonigan

2008-05-29, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Be sure to click through the questions below. Funny stuff!
That sounds just like Zeus from Guitar Hero III!!!