User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 37 of 42 First Previous 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41  Next Last Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-02, 08:05

Definitely scheduling these for next week so we can get the updated booster.

Last edited by kieran : 2022-09-02 at 22:48.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-09-02, 10:20

I got the old booster. I wonder how long now until the new booster is available in Canada/Ontario, and when will the paediatric dose be available as well?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-02, 19:58

We were told October for BC, might be similar in other places in Canada as well.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-13, 10:57

Just got my 5G UW booster. Let’s party.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-13, 11:21

Got the updated booster and flu shot on Friday morning. Felt like crap Friday night, but otherwise was good to go.

Seems so simple to just add the Covid vaccine to an annual vaccine like the flu shot.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-13, 12:12

I held off doing both at once. I’ll get the glue shot in a couple weeks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-09-13, 13:05

My wife and I got our boosters last Tuesday as soon as they were available at our local pharmacy. We got the latest Moderna booster in one arm and this year's flu shot in the other arm. It seems that pharmacies are encouraging both at the same time because the side effects of getting them together are no worse than apart.

I felt lots of back muscle soreness and aches for the first ~12 hours, and I slept very poorly that night as a result, but by the time 24 hours had passed, we were both completely back to normal. Pretty much the same as the last Moderna booster in April. The fronts and backs of our cards are now all full! Looking forward to a new card next time.

My understanding is that in the US all boosters should now be the bivalent variety with only a few exceptions for very specific patient groups. If you're thinking about getting boosted, there's no reason to wait! On top of that, they've relaxed requirements for just about everybody. So, you really have no excuse any more.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-09-13, 13:51

Gonna get mine next week after I get back in the country.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-13, 18:05

This booster has me absolutely zapped. Just drained. Little achy. Hopefully I’m good by the AM.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-15, 10:25

Took about 36-48 hours but back too 100%
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2022-09-15, 12:16

I caught covid in May and had my booster 2 days ago. I was almost asymptomatic with covid. I found the side effects of the booster worse than the actual disease... but I'm lucky in not getting very sick when I did catch it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-03, 14:49

Had a good run of good health the last 2 and half years, but my time as come. Entire family came down with COVID last week, despite our precautions. I got it sometime over the past weekend, and test showed positive immediately today, first time I bothered to do it, figured it was a given. Living together it was almost impossible to avoid. Had just got the most recent bi-variant booster almost three weeks ago when it first became available here.

None of the classic symptoms, likely one of the newer common variants, and over all it feels nothing like any cold or flue I've had before (I know we all experience those differently, so that doesn't mean much). Feels like my head is in a fog, but no cognitive issues, other than slower reaction time, and feeling a little tipsy at times. On and off coughing, have had a fervor for sure, but never got sweaty. Feels like every muscle in my body is sore (doesn't happen with cold/flu for me). No energy. Monday I went for a half hour walk, needed a 1 hour nap to recover. Tuesday morning, I need a nap after breakfast. Felt better Tuesday after a walk. Couldn't much sleep that night, too stuffed up. Felt a little better yesterday, went to work (I worked alone outdoors) for two hours and felt okay, but tired. Today, head is a little foggier than the past two days, very stuffy, and sometimes it feels more like a cold, then it doesn't.

I can only assume it would have turned out worse without the recent booster, which I might add I had no reaction to at all. I got my booster and flu shot the same day. Nothing.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-03, 19:38

Wow. Very glad that you're on the mend, and am surprised that I'm still surprised when people catch it. The symptoms are always interesting to hear. I'm due the bivalent shot and flu shot, and your news should light a fire under me. Plus, last week I was sick and twice home tested, with negative results. I was feeling better a week later, so it was just a cold.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-03, 22:23

Hard to say if I'm getting better or not, whenever I think it's improving, it throws something new at you. Head must be getting worse, I'm making way more typos than normal. Takes longer to write anything. My grammar is bad enough normally, so this is a treat, wonder if anything is more than run on sentences. Words I normally have no trouble spelling, well thank goodness for spell check. That's new today.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-24, 22:04

I've had a sudden onset of SOMETHING. Sinus drainage. Cough. Slight fever. Tested negative with a rapid home test. Have been told that they can test for flu and RSV in addition to Covid. I'll decide tomorrow whether to go to urgent care to be tested. Bleh.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-11-25, 01:17

COVID rapid home test only tests for COVID as far as I know. Hospitals can test for others sure. No need for a hospital visit unless you are really sick.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-25, 03:22

Yeah, I'm just feeling yucky right now. Not in need of intervention.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-11-25, 22:32

I tested positive for flu last Saturday which sucks as I got my shot the 4th. I had all the bad signs: mild fever, heavy chills, mild headache, intense body aches (my legs felt encased in cement? and my body and arms were sore),sore throat, cough. Near the end I got severe vomiting and diarrhea. It sucks and I wound up needing IV fluids for dehydration.

(I work at a hospital, so as soon as you report certain symptoms, you get a mandatory free COVID swab from the job, and you can pay extra for a flu/RSV addition, which is the reason I was tested.)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-26, 03:41

Ugh. That sounds like you got the sampler platter of ALL the bad things. I'm glad that you received treatment. How close to normal are you feeling now?

The day after I tested negative with the home kit I drove 3+ hours round trip to a family thanksgiving dinner. Mom and I both wore our masks while traveling down and back.

I felt spent when I got home and so I went to urgent care on Friday to get a flu test and a Covid test while I was there.

Negative for flu.

Positive for Covid.

When I tested positive for Covid in 2021 there were zero symptoms. This one has me in a fever, with drainage leading to a cough.

I just woke up here in the 3am hour and don't need my blanket at all. Time to go check my temperature...

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-11-26, 09:29

I don’t know if it’s a leftover from long COVID, or something else. Periodically my legs feel like they’re double the weight, not weak per se, just heavy, like every muscle fibre is of the slow twitch kind. I hadn’t thought of a possible COVID connection until just now, just general fatigue. Hmmm…
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-11-26, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ugh. That sounds like you got the sampler platter of ALL the bad things. I'm glad that you received treatment. How close to normal are you feeling now?
I felt sick starting the 16th, started the GI symptoms/everything else lessening at the 22nd at 3am, and finally could hold food down again on Thanksgiving proper. Today I still have the physical fatigue / feeling like lead; managing the 2 flights of stairs to the kitchen means I stay downstairs for at least an hour to recover...and it feels like I'm still breathing shallowly/can't get a full breath. but otherwise I'm fine, no more cough or GI or fever.

If the flu vax lessened it at all after only ~10 days, which I hope it did some because the average time to full is 14 days, then I can't imagine what the real flu would be like raw. I suspect a higher fever, worse cough, and Everyone who can, please get your flu shot, because I wouldn't wish my case on anyone.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-03, 13:13

I have cabin fever. STILL testing positive on my 10th day after getting sick, the 8th day after my positive PCR test. Bleh.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-06-22, 15:09

This is DAMNING! Like, wow.

"Heart Disease Risk Skyrockets 13,200% Following Covid Injections, CDC Admits"
Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

It isn't that I don't think mRNA won't be a viable way to treat/prevent illnesses in the future. Clearly though there are major problems confirmed by our medical overlords. I won't be getting a flu shot anytime soon since those are supposed to be getting the mRNA treatment.

For now though, I'm very glad my family didn't get the shots.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-06-22, 15:53

This is a decent study, and it's good to see updates on this, since it was a real side-effect that was identified early on, but the article (thank you muchly for sharing that) has a few issues that keep it rather clear of 'damning'.

VAERS: "Co-administered by the CDC and the US Food and Drug Administration, VAERS accepts reports of all adverse events after vaccination from patients, parents, clinicians, vaccine manufacturers, and others regardless of whether the events could plausibly be associated with receipt of the vaccine."

VAERS is a known problem in epidemiology circles. It's been periodically flooded by anti-vaxxers purposefully filing bogus reports. (I'd like to see a timeline of reports in media vs. reports to VAERS, for instance.) It's a starting point for investigation, but should in no way be considered a clean data set. Use of VAERS is considered by most researchers to be... courageous. It's knowingly wading into a cesspool and making more work for yourself. It appears the team did do as good a job as possible for cleaning it though. (Doesn't make it *clean*, just 'better', of course.)

I have more issue with their predictive rates of myocarditis for 2017-2019, however. The data set there was the IBM Watson Health datasets. Okay... I have some familiarity with it, and it tends to skew older, not adolescent, so I'm skeptical they nailed the proper case rates for younger demographics, and would like to see more of their methodology there, and as we all know, it's all about the denominator. (We all do know that, right? Yes? Good.)

Now, the authors address much of this in the Limitations section, for instance: "As such, the reports of myocarditis to VAERS may be incomplete, and the quality of the information reported is variable. Missing data for sex, vaccination dose number, and race and ethnicity were not uncommon in the reports received; history of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection also was not known."

... but do not provide further information to ameliorate the concerns.

Finally, nowhere in the article do I see "13,200% increase"... care to share where that came from, and how it was calculated?

What I see is:

192 ,405 ,448 persons vaccinated
"1,626 of these reports met the case definition of myocarditis"

That's a 0.000845 % case rate.

Damning? Weird use of the word, if you ask me.

Update: Actually, something is really off, here, in their reported data. Table 2 in the Supplements, indicates how many reported cases per million doses. Do the math from their own data, and it comes out to 157,678 expected cases due to vaccination.

1626 were reported, remember.

That is *WILDLY* off. Hell, using their data from IBM, you'd *expect* 3920 cases in the population... more than twice the cases actually reported in VAERS.

Yeah, something is really bonkers here. (*ALWAYS* check the data, and do your own calculations where possible. Anyone interested, DM me for the Numbers file.) Not only that, but no re-analysis of the provided data that I thought of based on common mis-understandings of how to calculate increased risks led to "13,200%". That's just such a bizarre number.

At most, you can state what the authors themselves did. This is the entirety of their Conclusions section:

---
Conclusions
Based on passive surveillance reporting in the US, the risk of myocarditis after receiving mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines was increased across multiple age and sex strata and was highest after the second vaccination dose in adolescent males and young men. This risk should be considered in the context of the benefits of COVID-19 vaccination.
---

That's it. Which we knew.

So, I'm now genuinely curious... what, exactly, did you see that made this 'damning' that I'm missing?

Last edited by Kickaha : 2023-06-23 at 13:45.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-06-23, 04:58

There’s nothing “damning” in it. I was about to post, but you summed up everything I wanted to mention. As for the source, it doesn’t appear useful for much more than raising early/potential alarm, sort of a “might want to look to see if there’s anything really there” stage. Nothing more. It has the added modern day problem of being vulnerable to manipulation/hysteria.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-06-24, 10:41

We also have to balance the risk of the vaccines with the risks of getting covid itself, especially long covid and the associated neurological issues.

Personally, I've had four doses of the various mRNA shots and I'm not worried.

Though I will admit that when I collapsed a few months ago and the EMTs thought it was cardiac arrest I briefly wondered if it was the vaccines. (It was not cardiac arrest)
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2023-07-20, 03:20

So what’s the deal with the world pretending Covid doesn’t exist anymore? I’m struggling to get with the programme.

Last edited by crazychester : 2023-07-20 at 03:22. Reason: Clarification
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-07-20, 04:53

Here's what CovidActNow has for my state: "Over the last week, Georgia had 178 new COVID hospital admissions (1.7 for every 100,000 residents)."

Compared to 2-3 years ago... well, there's just not the same sense of peril for me (someone who respected the crap out of that bug).

A few of my friends have not backed down from Code Red and remain recluses to this very day.

I completely understand and respect the sentiment for how poorly many western nations handled Covid safety when it was still raging.

Are you angry at those of us who finally stopped wearing masks? Do you have anyone you can talk with on a regular basis? It is helpful to have that outlet. I'm glad that you are being safe.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-07-20, 08:53

I still limit my contact by avoiding certain venues and masking in others, and do at least half of our shopping for household essentials online.Since I'm obligated by the Province to appear in-office 3X per week even though I'm fully capable of discharging my duties from home, I have my workstation at some distance from the rest, I get to the office early those days, and I take certain less travelled elevators/corridors through the campus. I drive or bike/walk. I don't take public transit. I don't do line-ups for any venues.

For a stretch of my career my work involved looking carefully at a wide range of public safety data, so it remains something of an obsession even though it has little-to-nothing to do with my current job. What we know so far suggests that COVID is settling into a baseline that is 2-3X more deadly than the seasonal flu, with the main factor being vaccination status.

I plan to remain on the recommended 6-month cycle of boosters for the foreseeable future.

Now, most of my adult life I never got vaccinations, seasonal or otherwise. I was certainly not antivax in any way, I just led a relatively low risk lifestyle - married, travel restricted mainly to known North American and European locations - and considered my constitution somewhat "robust." In my mind vaccines were for old people, sick people, or people going places and doing things with an increased measure of risk. If I happened to be at the doctor and a vaccine was offered on the spot or recommended, I'd take it, but I seldom sought out medical appointments, and missed more than a few yearly check-ups.

Then, a few years before COVID, with kids newly in the picture, I started getting flu shots again, and taking yearly check-ups to coincide with theirs... I ride the kids about hygiene practices that just were never a thing when I grew up. You can't imagine how many things crop up when you really think about it, especially the sharing of food/drink containers.

That said, we do pretty much all normal activities, including eating out and swimming. In my opinion, multiple jurisdictions are currently failing the public by pretending COVID is over and not making enough information available for informed decisions about public areas. I can tell you this: if you have an elderly parent and it can be at all avoided, DO NOT put them into a long-term care facility.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-07-20, 09:03

I get my boosters, other than that, it's life as normal. Honestly, haven't thought about COVID in a couple years.