User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

If Apple became an MVNO, would you be interested in "Apple Mobile?"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in "Apple Mobile"?
Yes 46 67.65%
No 22 32.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

If Apple became an MVNO, would you be interested in "Apple Mobile?"
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-12-06, 17:44

This poll is pretty self-explanitory. The MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) thing makes it easier than ever for a company to expand into the cellular business. As a result, we're beginning to see "lifestyle" prepaid networks - Virgin Mobile being the most popular example (Happy Chrismahannukwanzakah!). It's not to far-fetched that Apple might start a MVNO, since they're actually an electronics company, and they are (let's face it) an "image" brand, although we all agree they have the substance to back it up. Throw in the fact that Apple likes to control the "whole picture" (both the hardware and the operating system, or in this case, both the phone and the network), and I can actually see "Apple Mobile" as more plausible than Apple simply making an "iPod phone" for some other network.

What do you think? Would you be interested in "Apple Mobile?"

I'd jump on it in a second...unless Nintendo started their prepaid MVNO. Then I'd have to think for a while.

Oh, and...1300!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-06, 17:51

You think Apple will enter telecoms - a mature competitive market - given the other things they're trying to do?? Cementing Jobs legacy? Winning the battle for the digital hub? Confirming the iPod's supremacy?

I'm really not sure that's likely

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-12-06 at 17:58.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-12-06, 18:01

I never said it was likely.

The only thing I said was I thought it would be more likely Apple would launch a MVNO rather than launching an Apple-produced phone on somebody else's network, because they'd want to control the download structure, etc.

This thread isn't about how likely "Apple Mobile" is. It's about whether people would be interested in it.

This forum is called "Speculation & Rumors." Don't forget the first half.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-06, 18:08

I don't think there's much of a point to the question. Interested? Sure, anyone would be interested. Even (if not especially) the competition.

The question is too vague for people to actually say "no".
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-06, 18:53

No and I believe going into this kind of business, which is so cut-throat and overhead-intensive (as far as the support staff, lawyers, etc), would be in anything but Apple's best interest. This would cross the line from "diversifying" into the realm of "stretching themselves too thin."

Apple is still a computing company first and foremost. Going into the cellular business would be a step in the wrong direction even though the idea of having an Apple-branded cell service may seem cool / ripe with iTMS possibilities, etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-12-06, 20:09

Yes, if...
It was on the Verizon Network.
I was still able to get "IN" calling for free.

It would be nice if there was no contract as well and data was unlimited for a reasonable price... but this is Apple we are talking about here... not.goona.happen.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
TednDi

2005-12-06, 22:31

as long as apple would let me use a gsm chip abroad and the apple sim at home.

An unlocked phone with apple integration that would rock!!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-12-06, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Yes, if...
It was on the Verizon Network.
I was still able to get "IN" calling for free.

It would be nice if there was no contract as well and data was unlimited for a reasonable price... but this is Apple we are talking about here... not.goona.happen.
It's Apple we are talking about here. Never.Say.Never.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2005-12-07, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
It's Apple we are talking about here. Never.Say.Never.
Yeah, but Verizon? I'd assume Cingular (given the ROKR, or failed attempt thereof ) but maybe T-mobile as they'd be able to get bulk minutes cheap as hell.

That'd be so awesome if it did happen, though. What a MWSF announcement...lol...EVERYONE was wrong!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-12-07, 15:36

I never said Verizon. That was Paul, because he wanted "iN" calling.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-07, 21:42

Yes! And I would hope the Virgin Mobile would back it in the UK...
HOM
The Elder™

2005-12-07, 21:49

No.

Apple bring nothing to the mobile world and if anything their philosophy detracts from a good mobile carrier.
russgiro88

2005-12-07, 22:49

I could see them making their own cell phone and a mobile version of iTunes that you could download onto your cellphone and thus buy directly from Apple.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-08, 22:16

If they did it, and it didn't suck, I'd be interested.

That's what the question is asking, anyway.