User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 99 of 103 First Previous 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-14, 17:31

The Dominican Republic.

I've liked all of M. Night Shamalamadingdong's movies except for two of them (The Happening and Lady in the Water).

I really liked Signs and I just saw Glass a couple of months ago.

I've not seen Old yet.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-29, 12:18

So ANYWAY that M Night Shaniatwain guy played the part of the van driver.

Too bad he wasn't in THE BATMAN which was REALLY SOLID.

Since Paul has gone AWOL this week, I will post the LONG ASS REVIEW (below the badass fan art by Al Abazzia)

SPOILERS (no tags)

And so we enter Gotham again, that grey and gritty city.

Mobsters, crooks, and the usual array of near-to-life baddies.

Like the citizens of Gotham you’d best abandon hope…

Because we’re going to be here for THREE HOURS of our lives.

There is something in the way that a Nirvana song opens the film.

Probably because it’s called: Something in the Way.

But it’s a good song. I played it on repeat the entire way home.

It’s so successful at setting a mood that they chords from it as incidental music.

And I think that they nailed a lot.

The City of Gotham is always a bit part of a Batman film. Sometimes it resonates of New York, other times it has a Chicago vibe, sometimes it’s an absolute cartoon.

This Gotham seemed a blend between New York with hints of London.

The public parts of Stately Wayne Manor seemed built inside a church, but a small church, where everything was cramped and gothic. I didn’t like it all that much.

The Batcave wasn’t shown much, but one glimpse made it seem as if it had been built in a grand, forgotten platform in Gotham’s version of Penn Station.

Being able to divorce yourself from the baggage of an actor’s past is important if you want to enjoy a film. Some people made a lot about the actor who played Bruce/Batman. I never saw the sparkly vampire movies, so he was an unknown to me. I thought he did just fine.

I liked that he didn’t do that funny gruff growl thing that the last Batman dude did. Good call on that.

Man have we seen a LOT of bat suits over the past 30+ years.

They’ve gone from Keaton’s rubber suit to Clooney’s nipple suit to Affleck’s truck bed liner material to the more “regular clothes” suit that this version of Batman was wearing (note that this is his 2nd year of being the Batman, so if they do more his suit may evolve).

As Bruce Wayne his hair was a bit long and stringy and greasy, and his eyes were kind of haunted, but more like a heroin addict than a man haunted by the murder of his parents. But when he puts on the mask he’s got a good jawline for Batman (you know, because jawlines mean good movies?).

Getting the cowl (the “mask”) part of the suit to look good has been a challenge over the years, and the designers have mostly failed my expectations. When (in past films) Batman had to turn his entire body to look to his side, it was hard to believe that the suit could be effective. And some of the suits (like the one in the Nolan films) turned the cowl into a helmet. This made sense from a tactical point of view, to protect the guy wearing the suit.

But a smart helmet can’t disguise the fact that we’re talking about a grown man dressed like a bat, trying to fight and do acrobatics while wearing a cape. That cowl should have been fixed many years ago.

They arguably achieve some improvement in this film. His head didn’t look three feet thick from side to side as it did with other bat suits. It was lighter and thinner – better articulated. His cape wasn’t so long that he tripped on it, and it had a COLLAR that was very reminiscent of an alternate history version comic where they explored what Batman would have been like if he had come around in Victorian times (in London, I think?). In that comic he was almost (but not really) a steampunk-ish version of Batman. His cape was more of a great cloak-ish coat thingy, I think?

The actress playing Selina Kyle (Catwoman) really nailed the look of Kyle from some of the comics. Much more like the books than the vinyl bondage suit version from the 90s.

And Colin Ferrell (see I know one actor name!) is starting to impress me as a much more nuanced actor that I had once believed, based on a few things I’ve seen him in lately (including this). He is unrecognizable underneath the makeup for the Penguin, but he’s really good.

The actor who played one of the main characters on Westworld doesn’t doesn’t seem to pick bad projects, so if he is in something I know that it will probably be decent. He plays Jim Gordon in this version of Batman, and yes, he does a good job.

Alfred was kind of “eh” for me. Good job, just didn’t have the right “look” for my tastes.

The Riddler is a decent villain, and the film really does unwind a mystery. It isn’t bad, actually, if we didn’t – I mean, listen, as much as I love the Batman character the world really doesn’t need any more of these films, does it? It’s just… it seems unnecessary at this point. There are new films to be made, new ideas to be explored, new characters to be created – recycling Batman is just part of the religion now.

Batman is a hero in this film.

Bruce Wayne is less of a person in this film, but that will change out of necessity.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-29, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
…M Night Shaniatwain…
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-29, 12:51

That is a cool poster, all 30's/40's like. I love those kinds of posters...the imagery, typography, etc.

I never saw it, so I couldn't post a review.

I thought about making up some shit, but I've got a reputation to uphold...

Your review is funny as can be, drew...truck bed liners, etc.

Gotham by Gaslight(?) I think is that story/comic you're referring to, the collared Victorian thing. It was kind of a steampunk-y goggled, cloaked Batman. He's trying to beat the hell out of Jack the Ripper, of all people.

"Holy murdered whores, Batman!"

And to answer your question...no, we don't need anymore Batman movies. I think we've said about all there is to say about the character (and everyone he knows/works with) since 1989. Move on, folks...we can't miss him until he goes away for a while (10-15 years, maybe more). It's just all a bit overdone/too much at this point. Three different actors in 10 years (Bale, Affleck and Pattinson), not to mention the Lego stuff, the ongoing animated output and then those Arkham video games. How is the world not sick to death of this character by now?! Too much of anything is never good.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-03-29 at 14:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-30, 14:46

Saw this a little while ago.

Bruce Willis stepping away from acting; experiencing cognitive issues.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-12, 09:56

Not sure how I missed this.

Possible The Batman spoilers ahead, but I'm not using tags...the movie has been out for well over a month. Everyone who wanted to see it has by now, and anyone else obviously doesn't care. I will, however, give a bit of a generous gap between here and when I start to talk, just because I'm a nice guy and there may be some on-the-fencers waiting on the HBO Max release.

**SPOILERS below, coming soon**

**Seriously, you've been warned**

Okay, apparently there was a deleted scene featuring Joker, earlier on, before his reveal at the end (sharing a wall at Arkham with the Riddler). Batman goes to Arkham to see Joker earlier in the movie - being all Clarice Starling to Joker's Hannibal Lecter - to get some insight on the Riddler's Buffalo Bill. This sequence was revealed in some of the news/promo stuff when the movie was released over a month ago, including by the director himself in some interviews.

The director, Matt Reeves, said he may release that clip at some point. Apparently he did about 3-4 weeks ago (I only found out about it this morning, Mr. Johnny-on-the-Spot that I am).

And here it is.

Some thoughts...

1. I can't understand a word he's saying

2. How/why is he so incredibly messed up?! What happened? It isn't self-applied makeup (Ledger/Phoenix), for sure.

3. He's got scars everywhere and chunks of his hair is missing (where even more scars reside, all over his head, a la Darth Vader). Did Batman drag him behind his car in an prior, unseen encounter? He's already in Arkham, so somebody - Batman? - put him there. Did Batman put him in that condition too?

4. Re: The Silence of the Lambs, that whole "hero/lead goes to visit a crazy asshole in prison (or mental hospital) to get further info on/insight into another crazy asshole" thing has been done so much over the past 25+ years. When you've got low-budget Lifetime and Syfy (and shitty CBS forensics shows) doing it for decades now, you know you've soared over that mako some time ago. I was kinda shocked to see someone doing it now, straight-faced/irony-free. "Really, DC/WB/Reeves?" This isn't the novel thing it once was...every movie/TV show (and Batman-based fan film) has walked this path, it seems.

5. Again, I can't understand a word he's saying; if he's dropping some knowledge or adding anything to the proceedings, it's totally lost on me. Is that why it was cut from the theatrical release? The director realized "there's no way this helps anything...but I probably need to throw a bone to the neckbeards and release the clip anyway"?.

What do you think about this pretty freaky, grim approach to the character? I know some comic books (and even that Gotham TV show) veered into this sort of thing at times, but the above is nothing like what we saw with Nicholson, Ledger, Leto and Phoenix in any previous live-action outings. He looks like a monster or horror movie villain, not a dapper clown or emo anarchist. Maybe they'll just leave it unresolved and let everyone guess/fill in the blanks? Sometimes that's better anyway, right?

"Do you wanna know how I got these scars?"

Not really, no.

"The flying rodent chained me behind his little jet car and dragged me down 47th Street about 30 times...this asshole is the savior and protector of Gotham, and I'm the one locked in here?! Whatever...".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-04-12 at 10:24.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-14, 17:20

The latest re: DC/WB...

Warner Bros. Discovery reportedly wants to 'overhaul' DC, including revitalizing characters like Superman

No kidding. Unfortunately, I think they're about 7-8 years too late. Certainly after Justice League and that second Wonder Woman movie. I think they'd just have to dismantle/abandon all they've done so far - the movies, the actors/directors, etc., wait a good 5-8 years and just start completely fresh. No origin stories, no outer space stuff, no infighting, no team-building, etc. Just have the team already in place, "on the job".

They failed miserably trying to ape Marvel, so just do the opposite...come out of the chute with a fully-formed team (Justice League), already "on the job" and doing their thing. If that is a genuine hit, then consider standalone movies or crossovers/team-ups.

But they have to factor in that the world may be over all this kind of stuff at this point, so if they truly have nothing to say and a solid, genuine reason for these characters to exist on the big screen, just go and do something else. They gave it a try (I'm not going to say they gave it their best because it's obvious to anyone whose seen a DC/WB movie since Man of Steel they haven't).

They tried. Kinda.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-14, 17:33

As I've said before, I think Justice League simply needs a time-out movie that focuses on character development.

Send the League to another part of the universe where they are stripped of their usual plot armour and invulnerabilities (Iron Man 3, Star Trek: The One with the Whales) and let the team gel together personally.

Ideally, they could have done this with a Thanagarian Invasion movie.
But after Thanos, Darkseid etc, planetary invasions are getting a bit on the boring side.

This 'overhaul' is interesting, because the way to change up everything is Flashpoint. However, D.C. has a Flash movie coming and is apparently worried their star is melting down.
Dr. Bobsky

2022-04-14, 18:04

meh. and I do mean meh. There are enough messianic figures floating around in pop (and political) culture. we don't really need a successful reboot of DC...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-14, 18:40

They couldn't do it anyway. They've had since 2013 (and quite a few expensive, high-profile movies) to nail it down. I think it was all doomed from the word go...Man of Steel was a tough sit. I remember walking out to the parking lot afterwards and hearing everyone around me kinda ragging on it, confirming that my initial impression - a miscast, point-missing joyless slog from frame one - was dead on.

That Kevin Smith story about Jon Peters rings so true now (and he was a producer on MoS, so I know he had to be squarely behind some of the idiocy that made it on screen...including those vaguely spider-ish terraforming(?) machines).

"There needs to be a giant spider in the third act...".

That they tried to use that as the jump-off point for their Marvel-style "let's put a team together" efforts...yikes.

"Guys, please don't anchor anything on this barely-watchable movie...take your time, re-think some stuff...".

Nope. They went and did just that, building off Man of Steel. Nine years - and two Batmen, three Jokers - later, it's about as goofed-up and disjointed of a franchise as I've ever seen. Nothing works...

A shame. All the potential and pieces were there.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-04-14 at 19:10.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-20, 09:46

Quote:
Zack Snyder has teased the first look at Rebel Moon, a Netflix sci-fi epic that began as a rejected Star Wars pitch.

Ok, Zack didn't do so well with the DC universe thing so why would a rejected Star Wars pitch go better? I imagine this will be a dim lit CGI fest with bad acting and horrible screen presence.

Am I wrong to think this?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-20, 10:14

There are some people who were really into "the Snyder cut", so he probably has his audience.

But, for me… 300 was kind of an interesting æsthetic, but not something I want to watch every day.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-20, 10:21

I didn't realize he did 300. I actually liked that movie. Not as much the muted colors scheme, but overall I really did like it. Shame he make DC look so bad.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-04-20, 10:25

Netflix just released the latest Richard Linklater/Jack Black collaboration, Apollo 10 1/2. A feel-good movie about a boy growing up in Houston during the Space Age and his dreams of being an astronaut.

Solid film.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-04-26, 06:02

The guys in The Corridor Crew made something amazing - they replaced the newest Batman with the classic Adam West version.

Here's how they made it:
https://youtu.be/NzLafsZWKxA

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-26, 07:06

Okay, that was only perfect. I would’ve absolutely paid to see that nonsense at the Flick-o-Rama 26!

I legit LOL’d in several places.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-26, 08:08

Ghostbusters Afterlife sequel and Venom 3 formally acknowledged by Sony in the news today. I'm up for both of them... at home at least.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-26, 08:32

Interesting. I was under the impression the Ghostbusters movie didn’t do all that well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-27, 19:15

AMC channel is playing Hancock, hands-down the biggest "Will Smith playing an obnoxious, insufferable and impossible-to-root-for asshole" movie of his career. There's no way that's an accident or isn't deliberate, that programming/scheduling. I just don't believe it.

Not Independence Day, Ali, Bad Boys, The Pursuit of Happyness, I Am Legend, any of the three Men in Black flicks...but Hancock?!

I’m thinking maybe tgat’s someone at AMC making their feelings known.

“Gee, how much of a stretch could the role have been for the guy?!”
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-28, 11:30

I have tried, no fewer than 10 times over the past 15-20 years, to watch The Fifth Element. For whatever reason(s), I simply can't hang with it. Something about it just pushes me away. Thing is, I like everyone involved - Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich, etc. - so it's not that.

Anyone else have a movie that just never "clicks" and you just can't seem to ever get through it?

I have three:

- The Fifth Element
- Me, Myself and Irene

I've tried and tried...
¡Damned!

2022-04-28, 12:54

The Spanish Prisoner. Shame too, because like you I like nearly everyone in the cast, especially Steve Martin and Ricky Jay. But at the time when it came out, holy shit... you know that Seinfeld bit (of course you do ) about Elaine not liking The English Patient? That was exactly how it was with me and my friend group at the time. "How can you not like The Spanish Prisoner!?!!" Easily. It's about a tenth as clever as it thinks it is and it was like everyone on set knew it, but just delivered the dialog anyways always on the verge of asking "Isn't anyone going to say anything?" It's ridiculous and predictable and I still eye roll my way through it the few times I've had to be around it since then.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-28, 13:26

Hmmm, I’ve never even heard of that one. Yeah, the ol’ English Patient scenario. Familiar with that.

“Paul, you must see this film…”.

Everything about that sentence is translated into “I know I never will see this movie” once it hits my ears. Because it’s almost always one of my more pretentious, weird-ass friends pushing it.

As for The Fifth Element, it’s just so…weird.

And I’m a huge Coen Brothers fan, so I’m certainly not weird-averse. And it’s not because my tastes are dude/bro-heavy. I’ve watched - voluntarily, on purpose - my share of Merchant Ivory fare, so my tastes are pretty open and varied.

Some day I’ll sit down with some chips and guac, a few beers and power through it.
¡Damned!

2022-04-29, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Hmmm, I’ve never even heard of that one.
At the time (iirc) it was supposed to be an arty-farty thing with Steve Martin in one of his first serious roles, written and directed by David Mamet. My takeaway was that Mamet should stick to writing.

So it goes.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-04-29, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I have tried, no fewer than 10 times over the past 15-20 years, to watch The Fifth Element. For whatever reason(s), I simply can't hang with it. Something about it just pushes me away. Thing is, I like everyone involved - Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich, etc. - so it's not that.

Anyone else have a movie that just never "clicks" and you just can't seem to ever get through it?

I have three:

- The Fifth Element
- Me, Myself and Irene

I've tried and tried...
I’m currently on a Gary Oldman binge - having just watched Slow Horses, Tinker Tailor, Leon… the 5th Element is on my list as is Darkest Hour.

The 5th Element is a movie I know I’m “supposed” to see but have never got around to it. There’s a few culturally popular movies I have just never jumped on the bandwagon for… cargo pants and Facebook are the same.

I’ll let you know how I fare Paul.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-29, 22:18

(cargo pants/Facebook comment).

Yeah, I'd like to hear how that goes. It was on TV about four days ago and I was like "okay, today's the day...". I made it about 17 minutes.

I love Gary Oldman. I just re-watched JFK a few weeks ago, and I loved his portrayal of Lee Harvey Oswald. He's one of those actors who kinda disappears into a role; he really didn't even look like Gary Oldman, the way he kinda held his mouth/jawline, along with the voice/accent.

I've never seen Gary Oldman be anything other than great at his job. I'd watch him read a take-out menu or grocery list. He'd do something to make it interesting/watchable. Like a lot of people, I first saw him in Sid and Nancy way back in 1986 (it actually played here in town at one theater for exactly one week). I made it a point to see it, based on articles/reviews I'd read. Been a fan ever since.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-04-29, 22:24

Yeah, I’m seriously disappointed in myself that I didn’t more fervently follow his work. You are totally on the money with the comment that he is one those actors who kind of disappears into the role.

Just adding JFK and Immortal Beloved to the list too.

Sheesh… aside from Seinfeld, I must have sleptwalk through the 90s. (Although, I did see Dracula and True Romance.)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-30, 14:04

I wasn't expecting this, but the early/advance reactions for Top Gun: Maverick are quite positive and enthusiastic. Apparently some folks have seen it, weeks before it's set to debut at Cannes.

Every blurb I've read mentions "heart" and "unexpectedly emotional".

No way to know if these are seasoned reviewers, or 20-somethings on social media who pretend to love everything under the sun (for clicks/subscribers), but still. No plans to see it at the theater, but I might give it a look someday. I didn't enjoy the 1986 original all that much.

I won't lie...the thing I'm most curious about is how (or if) Val Kilmer is used. I know he's in the cast, and you see his photo in a recent trailer. But, in his current state, there's no way he's a believable active-duty anything in the movie, so it's either posthumous references to Ice Man, the usage of photos and old, unused footage from 1986 as flashbacks/memories or he actually was on set and maybe he's presented as sick or not doing well (I still think that coffin/cemetery scene in the newest trailer is connected to his character). In other words, I don't see Ice-Man zipping out of the sky at the last minute to save Maverick. He will likely play a grounded type of role, perhaps with a small scene where he mentors, or gives life advice to, Maverick in some way. I hope they use him, but it'll kinda be sad to see him as he is now. His voice is all but gone and he's aged 25 years in the past 5-10.

I always liked Val Kilmer. It's sad to see him more like Doc Holliday these days than Ice-Man. Whatever he went through really took a toll.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-05-01, 07:13

I've been super excited for this movie since I saw the announcement. I just always liked Top Gun and I generally like Tom Cruise in the movies that he does.

This was shot a while ago, because it was supposed to come out a few years ago, so maybe Val Kilmer wasn't as far along in the throat cancer battle and could still act on some level?

This is the big movie that was delayed because of Covid and I'm glad to see it finally coming out.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-01, 08:33

It was filmed a few years ago and delayed, but Kilmer was still in the woods. If anything he was on the recovery side but it left him quite haggard and weak in everything I’ve seen him in the past 4-5 years (pics, interviews…subtitles were used).

I think the “emotional” parts all the advance screeners are mentioning are related to that character.

He’s been in rough shape for a solid 7-8 years. I believe he held back on testing/treatment initially, relying more on his faith and some “alternative” approaches. Like Steve Jobs, he may have waited too long to see traditional medical help, after things got too far along. I remember seeing pics of him walking around with a big scarf or bandana around his neck, years ago, even in warmer weather. He still looked good, himself, but seemed to be trying to hide a growth or something. Went that way a long time. I remember thinking “it probably won’t fix itself or just go away…go get looked at!”
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-03, 16:44

I think I had posted one of these trailers earlier but a new one is out for League of Super-Pets and it is funny. I'm really looking forward to this one. It even has Batman in it!