User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

just saw the Iron Man trailer on the daily show...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
just saw the Iron Man trailer on the daily show...
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-09-11, 01:14

damn, that trailer rocked...this movie looks very good...looks like it kicks those Fantastic four movies asses

will look for a link

g

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 01:27

Yeah, I saw it a little earlier this evening. Downey, Jr. Is funny. Might be a pretty good flick.

Summer 2008 is shaping up to quite the action/adventure orgy: this, The Hulk (with Edward Norton and Tim Roth), Indy 4 and, of course, "The Dark Knight".

I'll see 'em all.
JohnnyTheA

2007-09-11, 01:29

Niiiice! I liked the Black Sabbath tie-in too. Looks like it has promise. The only thing strange was the english accent arab that "I guess" captures him and forces him to make a missile? I hope this movie doesn't go PC...

JTA
Gizzer

2007-09-11, 01:52

When I first read that they were making this into a film I thought it was bound to be a pile of shite (and in the fluffy Fantastic Four mould).

The more I've read about it and especiallly fan feedback (ComiCon etc) the more it seems that this could be another Batman Begins (or at least somwhere in between). And that is a good thing. Mind you I'm looking forward to The Dark Knight even more - although the teaser trailer for that takes the term Teaser to the extreme.....
chris e boy

2007-09-11, 01:56

Yeh, looks pretty good but I'm beginning to get sick of all these superhero movies. I even had to explain to one guy in the office who Iron Man was!
Freewell

2007-09-11, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
... I hope this movie doesn't go PC...
You have accurately identified the common day plague of our society.

(Suggested Reading: James Finn Garner's Politically Correct Bedtime Stories)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-09-11, 06:35

Finally.
Iron Man.

Robert Downey Jr is obviously some pretty interesting casting because his own history resonates with the problems of the character he plays (Tony Stark).

VERY happy.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-11, 06:57

Looks pretty cool, actually, in a geeky kind of way.

The bad guys committed the "A-Team" mistake, though - never, ever put your prisoners in a room with convenient welding equipment.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-11, 08:15

Pretty cool effects but looks like plot line is flat-lined.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 08:32

Er... trailers shouldn't give away the plot, so a lack of plot in a trailer is a *plus*. Just my personal opinion. I'm thrilled they didn't tell me the entire thing, y'know? Just the setup. The grey suit was Rev A, and in the comics at least, didn't last long past his getting out of his situation.

The characterizations are much more important, IMO, and Downey appears just perfect. "I prefer a weapon you only have to fire *once*." That he can bring his own personal demons to the part is just icing. (Read an interview with him where he stated that he *had* injected that part of himself into the role, and that it had ended up being amazing therapy.)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-09-11, 08:44

::crosses fingers::
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-09-11, 08:59

Ooooh that looks good.

Sweet.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
Yeh, looks pretty good but I'm beginning to get sick of all these superhero movies. I even had to explain to one guy in the office who Iron Man was!
Well not everyone is lucky enough to be a geek...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-09-11, 09:37

well robert has clearly become one of the stronger actors, if not the strongest, of his age...his performances always carry more range and nuiance than the part usually deserves...he chews the scenery and hogs the camera without appearing to chew the scenery and hog the camera...

personal demons and a huge ego are a must for anybody playing tony stark...so i think they got the perfect guy

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-09-11, 09:49

Thank god it wasn't Nicolas Cage.

Or... ohmygod... Ben Affleck. *projectile vomit*
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 09:53

It could've easily gone that way, although I'm guessing "Ghost Rider" and "Daredevil" have taken both of these men out of Marvel's casting pool.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 10:35

Unfortunately, it hasn't taken them out of the gene pool.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 11:15

I get the same feeling from this movie that I got from "Batman Begins".

I was not ready for a lame-ass Joel Schumacher Batman flick, so when I heard that it was essentially a reboot, and had folks like Christopher Nolan, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman involved, I was thrilled beyond words.

"Holy crap, a serious, legit take on a comic book movie! That's a butt-kicking director, and those are *gasp* real actors! They're not screwing around here..."

Right or wrong (we'll see next summer), I get that same sort of feeling from this. You've got some heavyweight acting talent involved (most with Oscar-level type acclaim attached to them, and, if not, then they're seen, like Neeson, Oldman and Freeman, as "solid, reliable actors" who usually don't involve themselves in outright horrendous shit).

Looking at IMDB, this movie stars Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, Samuel L. Jackson and Hilary Swank.

To me, that is a complete 180 from what it could be: Topher Grace, Chris Tucker, Jessica Biel, Michael Ironside, Antonio Fargas and one of the Baywatch chicks.

That's no outright slam on those actors, but let's be honest...you've got Robert Downey, Jr. And you've got Ben Affleck.

Who would you trust more - as a director and studio - to do both a) a fine job and b) bring people into the theater who normally wouldn't consider themselves "comicbook movie" viewers?

I wouldn't walk across the street to let Affleck wash my car. But I'd pay $8.50 to watch Robert Downey, Jr. read the menu at Wendy's. I suspect I'm not alone in those feelings. A gigantic difference in talent, charisma, believability, chops, etc.

I'm glad they seemed to go the "Batman Begins" route, with some solid talent, rather than a "Daredevil" or "Punisher" thing, and doing a cheesy, thrown-together type of deal that will be showing on USA and FX within four months of its theatrical release.

Even the director, Jon Favreau, is a plus. I think he does good stuff, both as an actor and director. He seems to be one of those who "gets it", in every interview I've read or seen. Not as flashy or tabloid-popular as his buddy Vince (because he's not banging Brad Pitt's ex), but I like him more than V. Vaughn.

murbot
Hoonigan

2007-09-11, 11:19

I don't sticking Jessica Biel in there would be a bad thing.

Nor do I think sticking something into Jessica B.... err, scratch that. Wrong forum.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 11:26

She's pretty, but she's got the acting chops and on-screen appeal of a Ritz cracker, IMO.

I'd roll around in Jell-O with her as much as anyone, believe me, but I don't think they should be putting her in movies.

¡Damned!

2007-09-11, 11:58

With the new 'Incredible Hulk' movie coming out next year as well, plus Captain America, Thor and Ant-Man films in the works, I wouldn't be surprised if there's plans for an 'Avengers 2010'.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 12:08

Marvel is making movies of everything they have!

Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Iron Man, Elektra(?), plus the Captain America, Thor and Ant Man movies 709 mentions.

DC: Batman and Superman

(and two of the five Batmans - and three of the five Supermans - were completely unwatchable, embarrasing shit).

¡Damned!

2007-09-11, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Marvel is making movies of everything they have!

Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Iron Man, Elektra(?), plus the Captain America, Thor and Ant Man movies 709 mentions.
Don't forget Blade! That's how this whole thing started (for Marvel...DC has been testing these waters in earnest for 30+ years now).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I get the same feeling from this movie that I got from "Batman Begins".
Ayup.

Quote:
Even the director, Jon Favreau, is a plus. I think he does good stuff, both as an actor and director. He seems to be one of those who "gets it", in every interview I've read or seen. Not as flashy or tabloid-popular as his buddy Vince (because he's not banging Brad Pitt's ex), but I like him more than V. Vaughn.

Not to mention that Jon is a TOTAL COMICS GEEK who has been pushing for this film for years.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 12:30

Exactly. Which means he's got the desire to actually do it right, and it's not just "another job" like it would be with some. That can make so much difference in a movie like this...

I'm excited. It'll definitely, along with "The Dark Knight", be one of those "advance midnight showing" flicks for me. Or at least opening day (Friday afternoon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Don't forget Blade! That's how this whole thing started (for Marvel...DC has been testing these waters in earnest for 30+ years now).
Of course! I knew there were others...I was trying to think beyond standard "superhero" and I was twisting my brain, trying to remember..."I know there's another one...".

I even watched "Blade II" about a week or two ago.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 13:05

Predating Blade was... Punisher. Dolph Lundgren style.

And don't forget DC's Swamp Thing. Even though you want to.
¡Damned!

2007-09-11, 13:26

No, I remembered those, I just chose to ignore them. My brother used to have the biggest crush on Adrienne Barbeau...she'd show up on Fantasy Island or Love Boat or what not and he'd just go bug-eyed.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 13:29

We all did. Barbeau, Lindsay Wagner and Carrie Fisher all catapulted me straight into manhood. My 70's-era vixens of choice.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 13:37

Sorry, but I've never thought Barbeau was sexy. She looks like she comes from a long line of Italian linebackers. :P
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-09-11, 13:51

If this movie turns out well then my list of "must have" comicbook movies is complete and I can turn my thoughts to the RoboTech movie that I read rumors of on Engadget just a while ago.

I have to say that the Ozzy Iron Man song seemed just a little too cliche for me though... good that they're getting it out of the way by putting it into the trailer. KnowwhutImeanVern?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter