Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Font is too small

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Font is too small
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-17, 17:31

My mom is complaining that the font on her 17" MBP is too small. The font in the menu bar, and all of the fonts on dialog boxes is too hard for her to read. Is there any way of making this bigger, short of lowering the resolution on her screen?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-17, 18:21

This is where I rant about Apple neglecting its resolution independence framework that it made available so many years ago.

I'm afraid her only option is to change the screen resolution.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-17, 22:52

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming Brad! Perhaps we have something to look forward to in the future.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-18, 02:39

Also an area where I think Apple would do well to release a low-spec, low-res 15" MacBook.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-18, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Also an area where I think Apple would do well to release a low-spec, low-res 15" MacBook.
Haha, that may be a little over kill, for my mom at least. She was just fine with the res on her 15" MBP, but this 17" is just inconvenient.

Maybe you're right tho, for the elderly - reminds me of that cell phone with really big buttons.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-03-18, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
for the elderly - reminds me of that cell phone with really big buttons.
We are not that bad. ...............................
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-18, 10:26

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-03-18, 11:47

Quote:
Font is too small
SPOON IS TOO BIG.

(sorry)
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-19, 23:08

Quote:
Haha, that may be a little over kill, for my mom at least. She was just fine with the res on her 15" MBP, but this 17" is just inconvenient.

Maybe you're right tho, for the elderly - reminds me of that cell phone with really big buttons.
My mum isn't exactly elderly at 58 but she's set her computer at low resolution for years (she's not completely blind either, just not the best eyesight, like plenty of people over 50 are. It's not that she can't read something smaller, she just finds it a lot more comfortable and easier to work with when UI objects and text are bigger, and less likely to cause headaches (of the literal sense) or eye-strain.

Windows is quite good (compared to OS X, at least) at allowing system objects and text to be enlarged, which is great for her. When it comes time for her to upgrade I'm going to find it difficult to recommend switching to a Mac for the reason that it's just not a good option for people with poorer eye-sight. I'm not sure that she's be all that comfortable with a 13"; at normal resolution it's about right but any lower and it's too cramped to work within. And the 15" Macs on offer, which would be just right for her are tricked out with faster processors and discrete graphics, an expense that doesn't make a huge amount of sense for her. I think a 15" MacBook (whether it's a Pro, Air or other) with the same specs otherwise as a 13" model and a lowish resolution (or even better a high resolution but with better software to account for it) would make a lot of sense for a lot of people. Using a computer shouldn't have to mean straining in any way.

It the moment I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend any computer in the line up as best for her, and I don't think her needs are particularly niche in any way. It gets talked about a lot how Macs are great for accessibility but I think this is an area where they actually fall a bit short.