User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Charging
newtda

2008-12-26, 12:13

hello all,

I just replace my ac adapter from the apple store. before replacing my old adapter was damaged and wouldn't the battery. Now that I have new ac adapter plugged in the computer doesn't charge at all. The light on the end of the cord is always green. What could be the problem?
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-12-26, 12:18

How old is the computer? The green light on the adapter should mean the battery is at full charge, but perhaps the battery is fried, or needs to be cycled.
newtda

2008-12-26, 12:29

the computer is prob 3 or 4 years old. I bought it used. When i go to unplug the adapter from the computer it will shut down the whole computer like it is dead.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-26, 12:45

The computer is not dead. Your battery is. Try Coconut Battery to check status of your battery.

CoconutBattery (direct link to .zip)

Tell us the results...
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-12-26, 12:46

That sounds like a battery that's dead, and will no longer hold a charge. I'm almost at the same point with my current notebook. (Where, oh where, are the new 17" MBPs?)

That said, before shelling out money for a new/used battery, you might want to stop by an Apple store and see if they'll put another battery in your computer for a minute, to see if your computer will work with a different battery installed.
newtda

2008-12-26, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
The computer is not dead. Your battery is. Try Coconut Battery to check status of your battery.

CoconutBattery (direct link to .zip)

Tell us the results...
There is no charge,battery-loadcycle 0, I dont know what I need to look for when using this software
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-12-26, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtda View Post
There is no charge,battery-loadcycle 0, I dont know what I need to look for when using this software
It claims 0 load cycles?!? That ain't right. I'm not sure even brand new batteries have 0 load cycles. Either your battery is toast, or the part of your computer that interfaces with the battery is way messed up.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-12-26, 13:23

Reset the PMU.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-12-26, 14:31

I had the same problem with my black MacBook. If it was run completely flat, and then maybe left for 12 hours before being plugged in, then it would no longer charge.

I had two batteries replaced by Apple. One was via a retail store while the laptop was 10 months old, the second was at an authorised reseller 4 months later. The Apple store had said they would not replace it again 'cos it was out of warranty, even though the "new" battery was only 4 months old.

However, the reseller said it was a known problem and he got me the replacement battery within 5 days. While I was in there and we booted up the MacBook to check it, I mentioned that the click button was broke and you have to use the trackpad tap. He said it was another known problem and that even though the computer was out of warranty he might be able to get a "S" code or something, which basically means that he could send the laptop off and get everything fixed.

I was very thankful but declined - my MacBook is just a "surf the net while watching TV" machine now.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
newtda

2008-12-26, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
How Woudl I do that? Not that smart with laptop
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-26, 15:22

If it's an older iBook or PowerBook, follow the instructions at that link. Instructions start about halfway down the page.

If it's a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro, see here: Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Quote:
MacBook, MacBook Pro
  1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
  4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
  5. Press the power button to restart the computer

Note: Starting with MacBook Pro (Late 2008) and MacBook (Late 2008) models, you may instead use the reset method for MacBook Air (below) to reset the SMC. All earlier models of MacBook and MacBook Pro must use the method described above, which involves removing the battery.

MacBook Air
  1. If the MacBook Air is on, turn it off.
  2. Connect the power adaptor to a working power source.
  3. On the MacBook Air keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
    Note: You must use the keys on the left side of the MacBook Air keyboard.
  4. Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the MacBook Air.

Apple recommends only performing an SMC reset when the MacBook Air has been properly shutdown. This prevents issues from occurring to the file system.

While the power adaptor does not need to be connected to reset the SMC, it may be necessary in situations where the battery needs charging, or the MacBook Air has been without power for an extended period of time.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.