User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 10 of 10 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-16, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
I'd consider d/l-ing the app from Apple. But I'd need an awful lot of i's dotted and t's crossed before I'd d/l an app developed and promoted by the Australian government.
Apple isn’t making an app. They’re making a framework for governments and health orgs to make apps.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-05-16, 11:08

Not super familiar with her, but damn...so nice to hear someone pointing it out/mocking it.

Whitney Cummings on celebrities on social media during "these uncertain times".

Hope it plays...it's an Instagram link, so I don't know if you have to be logged in, etc. Who knows.

The scary thing is, she's not exaggerating. I've seen/heard this kind of thing with my own eyes and ears the past six or so weeks, while tooling around online.

"Okay, there's this stuff called 'construction paper'...you should be able to order it from Amazon. And what you do is...wait, let me first tell you about crayons. Are you guys familiar with these?"

Yes. Us plebes in Flyoverville have been doing this shit since the dawn of man. You are the ones acting like you've suddenly discovered plutonium. Just because you're now forced to spend more than 90 minutes a day with your own kids, stop acting like you've just written the world's first How to Entertain and Interact with Children guidebook.

We've got it all figured out. Everyone's doing just fine without your "Pop-Tarts make a wonderful, easy-to-prepare pre-snack, especially if you add some kale and olive oil...just be sure to keep the glue stick and glitter away from them" insights, Gwyneth.

The biggest side effects/impacts from COVID-19 appear to be severe cases of know-it-allitis and attention-whoredom ("watch me play shitty guitar on Instagram, but you're gonna grade me on a coronavirus curve, right?)", from what I'm seeing.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2020-05-16 at 11:42.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-05-16, 17:18

Paul: a couple of things...

No one is forcing you to watch their bullshit (anyone’s bullshit)

Paul Krugman won the Economics Prize in honor of Alfred Nobel because he observed that trade is highest between countries that produce and consume the same things. This feature of economic systems ran counter to the accepted model that materials flow in counter balanced trading networks. That old model was wrong, but what Krugman really pointed out was an often under appreciated aspect of human nature: we produce and consume for people very much like ourselves. Celebrities or twitidioits or TikTokTykes are producing content for themselves. If you’ve somehow stumbled upon a piece of entertainment you don’t get, then it’s probably not made by people who understand anything about you and more to the point: they never intended you to see it.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2020-05-16, 18:05

Bob, a couple of things...

Okay, thanks for essplainin’ it all for me. And I don’t give two sweet, on-fire fucks about all your Paul Krugman citing. Don’t fucking wag your finger at me like you’re having to pat me on the head and “teach me how everything works”.

Bug off.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-05-16, 19:53

Everybody be going crazy at home...

I have to say that I agree about the celb thing, it's so fake. Never could understand the obsession with these people, as if being able to act, throw balls, hit balls, kick balls, or sing makes someone worth studying everything else they do. The real special people are the ones who have to put up with those idiots day in and day out. Okay enough about that.

The biggest side effects of COVID-19 aren't those people and the silly things they have to say. It's the fact that we have an opportunity to rethink how we do things, like how we communicate, how much we travel and by what method, how do business (do we really need to fly all over the world, or across the country to get a signature on the dotted line, when a video meeting is just as good?), what jobs really are valuable (what people really keep the world going), and so on and so forth. We need to look for the opportunities to improve ourselves and the world around us.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-05-17, 03:40

Chucker, yeah ok API.

My understanding is it can't be shoe horned onto the existing app. So if you're an iPhone user in Australia that means it's useless unless you're prepared to give up a whole lot of your phone's functionality.

It's also my understanding that this problem is only Apple's fault in so far as Apple's existing privacy controls cause the problem.

I'm not going to get into this argument.

My attitudes and response to the government intruding on my privacy are deeply embedded in personal experience. There is absolutely nothing anyone could ever say to convince me to be less cautious than I am.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-05-17, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Bob, a couple of things...

Okay, thanks for essplainin’ it all for me. And I don’t give two sweet, on-fire fucks about all your Paul Krugman citing. Don’t fucking wag your finger at me like you’re having to pat me on the head and “teach me how everything works”.

Bug off.
yawn
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-20, 13:59

iOS 13.5 is out with the API jointly built by Google and Apple backed into it. I'm not going to leave my phone on 13.4 so I'm updating. I really do hope we don't all throw out privacy for the sake of safety.

Reading the articles about the API it should be good and I'm ok with what I did gather from it. Of course, I didn't deep dive into the specs. It was nice to see SC on the list of states looking to implement it already. This is really good given I'm here now!

Really, I'm good living my life like a hermit though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-05-22, 10:05

And, so it begins.

Your data is safe with … SQUIRREL!

Also, considering Apple vetted the app in question, my trust in Apple to handle this super-sensitive information is now in question. I feel that I need to toss this into the "Please Don't Trust Us, Inc." thread.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Stand for something, or fall for anything!

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-05-22 at 15:45.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
Yesterday, 04:06

Key point: “While Care19 does not rely on the recently released Apple-Google Exposure Notification API”